System Freezes on Windows Logo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System Freezes on Windows Logo

I installed a new GA-EG45M-DS2H motherboard with an Intel Q9550 processor. The system booted up the first time and ran for a couple of hours and went through the automatic install of drivers and the associated reboots fine. At one point it froze (while transferring a large file to a network drive), I did a manual power down and back on, at which point it stopped on the windows logo. I have since installed both 32 and 64 bit versions of the OS multiple times with now luck, except that it will usually make it to safe mode fine but not normal startup.

This says to me that it is a driver issue, since that is the main difference between safe-mode and normal startup. I have tried doing a "Selective startup" set up through safe mode, basically trial and error on the drivers and services in msconfig, with no luck so far.

System:
    Mobo: GA-EG45M-DS2H
    CPU: Intel Q9550 core 2 quad
    Memory: Corsair ddr2 800 2x2gb
    For the moment using onboard video

I am out of ideas, if anyone can suggest something else to try, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Re: System Freezes on Windows Logo

If even fresh Windows installs freeze at the logo right after the installation then it doesn't sound like a driver issue to me. or do fresh installs only show the problem after some time?

To me the most likely culprit is the RAM, try running Windows Memory Diagnostic of the Vista DVD or download Memtest.

Comment

To clarify: fresh installs show the problem right away. The only way to get past it is to boot in safe mode.

At first I thought memory too and since I just bought the memory I went back and exchanged it, so its unlikely, but still possible that both memory kits were bad. My next thing to try is memtest and I have also heard to swap memory locations or try one at a time, which I will try also. I just wanted to know if I am even on the right track.

thanks

Comment

Hm, if you exchanged the memory already it's probably not the memory itself, but it may be the specific memory slots you're using. It might also be a bad hard drive or a bad PSU (one of the most common hardware failures).
        Also it may be the board itself, but the only way to find out really is trying to exchange parts one by one and see if it fixes the problem.

Comment

Try installing with 2 gigs of ram, is it windows 7 or windows vista. If you have an older version of windows vista they had problems booting up with 4 gigs of ram. When u installed two gigs it ran then you would have to install a update that allowed you to boot windows with 4 gigs of ram. Thats was many peoples problem before

Comment

Hi dpaul

You may want to update the BIOS to F3 or F4? The F3 has Enhanced memory compatibility. Heres the link; page down on the link, and download the version needed. Download it from Asia(China)------> It's English and downloads quicker. http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Mothe...ProductID=2877
            You may want to check for Bios update first. You can follow these simple Bios instructions from Lsdmeasap Use QFLASH-----> http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/
            Did you go into your bios setup and adjust memory timings and voltage? After the bios flash you will want to find your memory timings and voltage from corsair and adjust them in bios setup. Starting on page 39 of your manual. On the main menu of cmos setup (the first page) press CTRLandF1 at the same time to access more advanced options. Then navigate to MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.). This is where you will see settings on auto switch them to manual and see if the settings are the same as Corsair suggested.
            It sounds like it's the memory. We know you exchanged the memory. It's possible the motherboard bios needs to be setup for the memory. Also the memory may be incompatible. Can you link us to the memory? What is the part number on your memory? You will want to do this before installing Windows. Install Windows 64bit with 4GB of memory If you prefer Windows 32bit Install it with 2GB of memory and after you update Windows with the latest Sevice Pack you can install the other 2 GBs of Memory. Please keep us informed on how it's going and we will try to help.
            Last edited by artdrivers; 07-19-2009, 08:22 PM.
            http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
            http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
            Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
            Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
            Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
            4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
            (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
            (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
            (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
            Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
            Mid size ATX case with show through panel
            2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
            Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
            Logitech G500 USB mouse
            Monitor: CMV937A
            7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
            Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

Im fairly sure your problem is due to not having the proper Intel SATA drive controller. If you have your board set to AHCI for the SATA ports, then you have to make sure that AHCI Intel 9/10 driver is installed, otherwise you will have the exact problem you will describe where it looks like at the Windows logo its moving, then just freezes.

If you didnt put that driver in, try to change it from AHCI on the bios to normal IDE/Disabled mode. That way Windows can just load with the built in drivers. If you want to go to AHCI after that you can search google on how to move from standard IDE mode to AHCI.

Its worth a shot to check this out before we dig into RAM and other things, its a fairly quick test.

Dixit
              EX58-UD4P Motherboard
              Core i7 920 Processor D0 stepping
              Patriot 6GB 1600mhz PVT36G1600LLK Memory
              Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Cooler (push-pull fan)
              Zotac GTS250 1gb Video Overclocked
              Cooler Master CM690 Case with 6 Fans
              Corsair 750TX Power Supply
              1TB Seagate 7200.12 HD

Comment

hey depaul do u go to depaul i live 5 mins from it

Comment

Originally posted by Dixit View Post
                  Im fairly sure your problem is due to not having the proper Intel SATA drive controller. If you have your board set to AHCI for the SATA ports, then you have to make sure that AHCI Intel 9/10 driver is installed, otherwise you will have the exact problem you will describe where it looks like at the Windows logo its moving, then just freezes.

If you didnt put that driver in, try to change it from AHCI on the bios to normal IDE/Disabled mode. That way Windows can just load with the built in drivers. If you want to go to AHCI after that you can search google on how to move from standard IDE mode to AHCI.

Its worth a shot to check this out before we dig into RAM and other things, its a fairly quick test.

Dixit
                  In the BIOS this setting is set to disable/ide. I tried to boot with all three options and had no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTON88 View Post
                    Try installing with 2 gigs of ram, is it windows 7 or windows vista. If you have an older version of windows vista they had problems booting up with 4 gigs of ram. When u installed two gigs it ran then you would have to install a update that allowed you to boot windows with 4 gigs of ram. Thats was many peoples problem before
                    I am running XP but I tried this anyway with no change.

Comment

At this point I am leaning towards a BIOS update, which I haven't tried yet. Or a bad CPU. The only reason I suspect the CPU is that if I boot normally without the GUI screen, it lists all the drivers, etc. its loading and it freezes at acpitabl.dat. ACPI has something to do with the processor but I'm not sure what.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTON88 View Post
                        hey depaul do u go to depaul i live 5 mins from it
                        No, Live in Ohio, DPaul refers to my name.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaul View Post
                          At this point I am leaning towards a BIOS update, which I haven't tried yet. Or a bad CPU. The only reason I suspect the CPU is that if I boot normally without the GUI screen, it lists all the drivers, etc. its loading and it freezes at acpitabl.dat. ACPI has something to do with the processor but I'm not sure what.
                          Memory timings caused me some freezes at boot, either the Window screen fade or the blue thingy that cross from left to right froze.
                          Since BIOS updates may take some time could you post your settings and we'll see if we can sort you out. There's a template here that may match your board settings, if there are some that are missing add them, and mark those who are not applicable to your voard or delete them. Ignore the values in the template, fill it with your own settings and post it back serrounded with code tags (the # button on top of the post editor)
                          And also, please fill your signature your with system spec and memory page link for better reference.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaul View Post
                            In the BIOS this setting is set to disable/ide. I tried to boot with all three options and had no luck.
                            I still think you got an issue with your windows not recognizing your IDE/SATA device. If you run in safemode and it works (which you said earlier) then its using a generic driver. So it really does sound like you either have it setup wrong in windows or wrong driver.

Check the following directions on how to enable AHCI and make sure the drivers are loaded and then set the main SATA ports to AHCI again and see if you can get it to load.

This may work, but not 100% sure if it doesnt what else your problems are without seeing where it has issues in the boot. Youd have to have it show the boot instead so we can see maybe where its hanging up.

Code:
                            Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. 
                            Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci 
                            In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify. 
                            In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK. 
                            On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor. 
                            Reboot, and change to AHCI mode in the BIOS. Windows will detect some changed hardware (anything connected to a SATA port).
                            So above is to activate the AHCI, make sure before you reboot that you have the correct SATA driver loaded in device manager, verify this, if not reload it right there in safemode.

Dixit
                            EX58-UD4P Motherboard
                            Core i7 920 Processor D0 stepping
                            Patriot 6GB 1600mhz PVT36G1600LLK Memory
                            Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Cooler (push-pull fan)
                            Zotac GTS250 1gb Video Overclocked
                            Cooler Master CM690 Case with 6 Fans
                            Corsair 750TX Power Supply
                            1TB Seagate 7200.12 HD

Comment

I sorta agree with dixit on the drivers especially if you can get it to boot in ide mode. I'm not sure if XP will install sata drivers or not. Mine did but it was an oem install disk. One other thing you might have a look at is reseating the memory modules.

Comment

Working...
                              X