Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't boot from USB flash drive. Need help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't boot from USB flash drive. Need help.

Antec 900 Case
    HiperPower 580 Watts ATX2 Ultra Quiet
    GigaByte GA-P35C-DS3R Rev 1.0 motherboard F12 BIOS
    Zalman CNPS9500-LED Aero Flower CPU cooler
    4GB OCZ (4 x 1GB) PC2 6400C4 Platinum DDR2 (OCZ2P800R22GK)
    GeForce 8800GTS 640MB OC2 580MHz Core 1700MHz Memory
    Samsung SpinPoint 1000GB SATA2 hard drive
    Samsung SpinPoint 400GB SATA2 hard drive
    LiteOn LH-20A1S-15C 20x SATA DVD Dual Layer burner
    Logitech MK300 wireless keyboard + mouse
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Re: Can't boot from USB flash drive. Need help.

Hi see this post and scroll down to where it says making a bootable flash...

Comment

Thanks, but I've done that. That's where I got the info from in the first place. My problem seems to be a setting in the BIOS that allows me to boot from the flash drive.

No matter what I try, it don't work!

Cheers.
      Antec 900 Case

Comment

I don't know your boards bios but under Advanced Settings enable Legacy USB Support Detect. Then where ever your boot menu is make USB Zip the first boot device that should do it if you set your usb memory stick up right. Bur I have been known to be wrong.

Comment

Plug in your USB drive, go to -> Advanced BIOS Features -> Hard Disk Boot Priority.

You should see a list of your harddrives, as well as your USB drive. Highlight the USB drive and move it up to the top by pressing the "+" key on the number pad.

Comment

Antec 900 Case

Comment

I'm glad it worked for someone. I have a Gigabyte MA74 gm-s2h motherboard. I have two USB flash drives. Both boot fine on other boards. I have set first boot device to all usb options. No help. Went into HD boot priority and it sees the USB-HDD as first and Sata 160 drive as second. System hangs at bootup. Sees the flash drive fine but won't boot either one. One is a DOS Ghost bootable, the other is a WDC Data Lifeguard Tools bootable. Used to like Gigabyte but now I'm having second thoughts. HELP!!!

Comment

USB flash appear as HD in BIOS, so select Hard Disk and the USB HD as the boot disk.
                You can also try to press F12 at boot time, then select Hard Drive+ and then the USB HD.

Comment

remember to format the stick in fat32 for the bios to see it aswell
                  Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
                  Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
                  Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
                  Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
                  Dual Boot
                  1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
                  1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
                  Ati x1950 pro gpu
                  Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                  1050w psu
                  Nzxt lexa case
                  http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

++ 2 ^^

Make sure the drive is formatted to FAT32 not NTFS. Then be sure of course it is bootable, if that is your intention. In the BIOS be sure you have USB 1.2/2.0 enabled, and Legacy USB Storage.

Then plug the USB stick in, and reboot. At startup hit F12 to get to the boot menu, on the boot menu screen choose HDD+, then on the next screen choose your USB Stick by name. It may look like a generic name, or the name of the memory chip in the USB, you will know which it is though because you will recognize your hard drives so you will know which to pick.

Comment

The usb memory stick is an old 32 meg with a diskette image of Data Lifeguard tools on it used for setting up WDC disks. It was created with the HP bootable memory stick program. A same second memory stick has a diskette image of XP bootable diskette and Ghost loaded. Both work (boot) fine on other boards.
                      I checked bios and have the following: onchip usb controller=enabled; usb ehci=enabled; usb keyboard=enabled; usb mouse=enabled; and legacy usb storage detect=enabled.
                      I have 'first boot device' set to HDD and USB is above (before the 80gig WDC drive) in priority. If I strike F12 and select HDD+ I see the Sandisk cruizer before the HDD. Select it and enter and it hangs at "Verifying DMI pool data" message. Same happens on normal boot. Remove the usb memory stick and it boots XP fine from the HDD. ?????

Comment

Well boot order method is not going to work, the way you select it after HDD+ on the F12 screen should.

In windows check the USB stick properties, see if it is FAT32 type. Some USB Sticks just simply do not work with Qflash or booting in Gigabyte boards. I have two 2GB Sticks directly from Gigabyte themselves, one works for both the other will not work for either, so it all depends on if they are compatible or not as well.

Are you using the very latest BIOS for your board? If not this could also be part of the problem

Comment

[The memory sticks were created from bootable diskettes. Viewing them in Windows XP shows them as FAT not FAT32 and they are ~1.44meg size of which about 1 meg is used on the Ghost bootable memory stick I am looking at now. Could it be that Gigabyte does not support FAT (fat16) formatted bootable memory sticks?? I can see the files on the stick fine from WinXP. I just can't boot from the FAT stick.

Comment

Could be that or incompatible for the booting process.

Format it to FAT32 and see if it works then.

Comment

Working...
                            X