• Show
Clear All

Re: EP35C-DS3R is too HOT !!!!

The DS4 thru Extreme do, I am not sure about the lesser models >>

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      Ya, smaller die size I think is why.

The funny thing I think is the X58 is hotter by default, but I think this is partially due to the data it handles and the way Gigabyte remade the NB heatsinks. The cover on them of course is of no help, but the thickness of the heatsink itself is terrible for dispersing heat to the air. The older "Fin" type was much cooler for sure.

I may have to rip off my heatpipes on my board it bothers me that much, thats bad
      I honestly wouldn't worry about it Lsdme. GPU's are allowed to be run at 80 - 95C, CPU's to 70 - 80C or thereabouts depending on model.
      But like anything electronic (and i've worked on a huge variety over the years) it's all about (moreso these days) designing a cooling solution that is adequate for normal and constant operation of the silicon.

When you calculate the type/area of the required heatsink needed for a particular setup, the calculation is based on the maximum temperature (for a given ambient) that you want to allow.
      No doubt Gigabyte or any of the motherboard manufacturers, state in their designs a maximum working temperature for say a particular model of Northbridge in the standard Intel case setup and at a reference ambient - Then they decide on what heatsink design/surface area etc is needed for the job.
      Theres no point in having say a larger mass Northbridge Heatsink to run the NB at say 45C rather than say 60C, if it makes no real odds to the life or operation of the nb silicon. All it would do, would be to make the board more expensive.
      I think you'd be surprised how hot regulators, transistors, power IC's etc are allowed to get in consumer and industrial electronics.
      It's only because Joe Public dabbles with PC's more than say consumer electronics, that "he's" aware of the temperatures of many things PC - but in general has no comparison. I often hear, "I can't keep my finger on x heatsink longer than 4 seconds" , which has got to be the most innaccurate way of checking temperatures going.
      GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

I agree with your thoughts and knowledge there for sure. Hey, I use the finger test myself and suggest it but only as a simple manner of checking if things are for sure way to hot or not, but not to gauge actual temp.

What I was trying to say (I mean complain about) was the fact that they now use a more solid heatsink (Not sure if that actual "Mass" is more, but overall thickness is what I mean) as compared to the older one with the very thin fins on it (With less overall mass). I think the new ones hold the heat in more in turn making the NB hotter then it would be had they used the older finned type heatsinks because they allow more heat to be easily dispersed into the airflow

I would have to put a older type heatsink on X58 to see if my point is valid though, as the new heatsink may actually be better and the chipset itself may just be far hotter no matter which sink is on it, I am not sure? But I do tend to think my thinking is correct about the heat displacement to the air in my new vs old heatsink design thoughts.

Comment

Lsdme,

But say for argument sake you reduce your Northbridge maximum temperature from 60c to 45c, yet that affect has little (if anything) on the lifespan of the silicon/chip itself. What would be the point in modifying the board?

If anything, you could add another stress point weight wise if you went say for a larger passive heatsink, or made things like accessing the graphics card/memory etc more difficult when the board is in situe.

There is also the other angle of how long do people keep technology for? I can't see the point in going overboard in cooling solutions (unless you are going for high overclocks and/or quietness) when you might say only keep the board for say 3 years (or less). Enthusiasts don't seem to hang onto boards longer than say around 3 years - they tend to want to move onto the next best thing asap.
          GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

LSD...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I came across this while searching for a guide that I've seen on the net in the past, and now simply cannot locate! There was a guide to probable actual temperature, based on how many 'half-seconds' you could keep an index, or pinky-finger on it (laughably, the scales are different), and I thought you might either have it, or know where I can locate it?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by bilbat View Post
              LSD...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I came across this while searching for a guide that I've seen on the net in the past, and now simply cannot locate! There was a guide to probable actual temperature, based on how many 'half-seconds' you could keep an index, or pinky-finger on it (laughably, the scales are different), and I thought you might either have it, or know where I can locate it?

Thanks in advance,

Bill
              Hi Bill,

I think what you are looking for is ultimately worthless and totally inaccurate. Everyone interprets temperature differently and just a small patch of dry skin on a finger can have a great insulating effect.

I've got a temperature probe on my Northbridge off one of the Zalmans (MF2) four monitoring channels and it's placed on an outside fin and about half way down (towards the base) ie an area where you would put your finger and it measures around 50C (+/- 10%) when playing a game with a room temperature of around 22C

Also electronic "greenhouse" temperature gauges with a Hi - Lo facility which have an internal temperature probe aswell as an external probe on about 5' of cable are very cheap and useful for quick checks. I've used mine for measuring case temperature to PSU exhaust heat. Sitting the "probe" inbetween the Northbridge heatsink fins will give you a rough temperature guide. But you would need to add about 10-20C to get an idea as to what the Northbridge core is running at.

But seeing some of these cores are often rated to run at high temperatures such as 100C+ as long as the heatsink is doing it's job and it's hot too (indicating good Core to Heatsink Contact) and your case has reasonable airflow (moreso if you are overclocking) then that's the main things covered.

Edit:-
              Whats all this new anti-spam thing about when posting? Does it apply to every post you make, or every log in etc?
              Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-20-2009, 06:28 PM.

Comment

The Anti-spam should only affect new members who have less that 10 posts, yes for Anti-Spam

Why do you ask, did you get nailed with it? If so, maybe because you have been inactive for some time? I can check on it if you need me to, let me know.

Nice to see you back, hope all is going well for you

@ Bilabat

Sorry not sure, but see above :)

Comment

The Anti-spam should only affect new members who have less that 10 posts, yes for Anti-Spam

Why do you ask, did you get nailed with it? If so, maybe because you have been inactive for some time? I can check on it if you need me to, let me know.

Nice to see you back, hope all is going well for you
                  Thanks Ed and yes I haven't posted on here for awhile, so that's probably why the anti-spam thing jumped on me

Comment

Did it get you that time as well?

Comment

Did it get you that time as well?
                      no, looks like it only did it the once.

Comment

Ahh, must have just been checking on you then

Comment

Working...
                        X