Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP35C-DS3R is too HOT !!!!

Hi,

My mobo is running between 38-43 C at idle when ambient temp is around 18C.
    But when i'm playing game it reaches 48C. At this temp i can't touch the passive cooler of the motherboard more than 3 seconds.

My case is very well.I tried to open case but nothing changed about temperatures.
    I wonder where is the temp sensor placed? Maybe it is next to gpu so it shows the temperature high?
    My graphic card is hd 4870.

What can i do for it?

Re: EP35C-DS3R is too HOT !!!!

The P35 chipset is a little hot, to tell you the truth, it's not a real value, it's the temperature of the motherboard's PCB itself, not the chipset.

Grab a ventilator and make it blow inside your case, you'll see a dramatic reduction at your temps, and won't make your graphic card or CPU proportionaly cooler.

Comment

I tried you suggestion but temps increased
      What is PCB?

Comment

Temps increased! NO WAY!

My mobo, EP45-DS3R, stays about your exact temperature range! I just grab and ventilator and it goes down all the way to 31 degrees celsius.

PCB = Printed Circuit Board, the sensor is for the motherboard, not the MCH itself, the MCH and ICH themselves i don't believe there's a temp sensor for them, even bios doesn't read temps from them.

Comment

Maybe it didn't work because i placed the ventilator in front of air grill without removing side panel.

So you say these temps are normal and nothing to worry about?
          Last edited by sansir; 03-18-2009, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sansir View Post
            Hi,

My mobo is running between 38-43 C at idle when ambient temp is around 18C.
            But when i'm playing game it reaches 48C. At this temp i can't touch the passive cooler of the motherboard more than 3 seconds.

My case is very well.I tried to open case but nothing changed about temperatures.
            I wonder where is the temp sensor placed? Maybe it is next to gpu so it shows the temperature high?
            My graphic card is hd 4870.

What can i do for it?
            Are you talking about the Gold coloured NorthBridge heatsink? If so, mine gets as hot as 52C, which I consider is absolutely OK. If anything, that is considered "Warm" in the world of electronics.
            Running the memory at a higher frequency and/or playing a 3d game usually increases the NB heatsink temperature.

I have my NorthBridge heatsink monitored by one of the channels on a Zalman ZM-MFC2 and know it stays fairly stable.
            I would be more concerned if it was cool as that could indicate that the Heatsink wasn't making good thermal contact with the Core.

Edit:-
            If you are using the Stock Intel Cooler (HSF), the fans proximity to the Northbridge Heatsink is as such to help keep it cool. If you are concerned though, you could alter the way the CPU fan works in the bios, presuming you are using the Stock Intel fan - and to have it on full speed continuously. ie not on Auto.
            Last edited by VorLonUK; 03-18-2009, 12:49 PM.
            GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

yes i'm talking about that heatsink.
              thanks i'm now relaxed.i use easytune to control fan speed.

e8500 overclocked at 3.80 and max temp is 58 under load.

Comment

I'm using a Freezer 7 Pro from Arctic Cooling, and indeed make my motherboard temps a bit higher.
                Right now is at 43 degrees, when i was using the stock cooler, was around 37 degrees.

But still nothing to worry about, but check at bios the smart fan value, it should be at disabled to make your fan run at full speed, the stock heatsink is not very good.

There's 2 models from Intel heatsink, one of them comes with older Pentium D and Core 2 Quad 65nm like Q6600 and has a copper base and measures two inches.
                The other one comes with newer processors like Q9300, aluminum base and just one inch.

Obviously the newer are worse performers, but when talking about stock speeds, they do a good job.

Comment

Obviously the newer are worse performers, but when talking about stock speeds, they do a good job.
                  Very True...
                  But bear in mind they are usually shipped with the 45nm chips that generally have a lower TDP, hence less heat and therefore no need to have a huge heatsink, unless you do want silence or the scope for flexible overclocking.

I found my Stock Intel HSF, which as you pointed out has very little height, say just over an inch on the heatsink itself, allows a modest overclock, in my case from 2.66Ghz (stock e8200) to 3.0Ghz.
                  Also it's design (and height) allows very close air flow proximity to the NorthBridge too.
                  GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

I have a P45-DS3R and i have wondering about the Northbridge temp also, I guess that my mobo does not have any sensor to read the temp there, corect ?

The temp I can see with HW Monitor shows the system temp over 50c under gaming, but it would ne nice with a sensor to the NB!

So how is it, the more expensive mobos does have that right ?

Comment

Originally posted by MaxFX View Post
                      I have a P45-DS3R and i have wondering about the Northbridge temp also, I guess that my mobo does not have any sensor to read the temp there, corect ?

The temp I can see with HW Monitor shows the system temp over 50c under gaming, but it would ne nice with a sensor to the NB!

i agree with you.

is there any explanation in gigabyte site about what is the safe temps of these motherboards

Comment

Originally posted by MaxFX View Post

P35 and P45 do not have NB Sensors, only a sensor in the PCB located close to the NB

Yes the new X58 boards have NB Sensors. 50C is kind of warm for p35/45, you can do a few things if you like, I always redo the paste under the NB on my boards (You should use NON Conductive paste if you do this) or you could add a 40mm Fan to the NB and this would help as well

What FSB are you running, and how much ram in what configuration? What MCH Core voltage are you using?

Originally posted by sansir View Post
                        i agree with you.

is there any explanation in gigabyte site about what is the safe temps of these motherboards
                        ICH9R Max Temps >>>

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/designguide/316974.pdf

ICH10R max Temps >>>

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/designguide/319972.pdf
                        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-23-2009, 04:01 AM.

Comment

The TDP of 22watts for the P45 is interesting and hence why a smallish heatsink (larger on the DDR3 versions of the board) is only required.

Comment

Ya, smaller die size I think is why.

The funny thing I think is the X58 is hotter by default, but I think this is partially due to the data it handles and the way Gigabyte remade the NB heatsinks. The cover on them of course is of no help, but the thickness of the heatsink itself is terrible for dispersing heat to the air. The older "Fin" type was much cooler for sure.

I may have to rip off my heatpipes on my board it bothers me that much, thats bad

Comment

Thanks for the answer Lsdmeasap.
                              So the new X58 boards do have a NB sensor, do even the cheaper models have it to and can i see it listed somewhere, maybe on Giga's own site ?

IMO all manufactures should absolutely list if/not the mobos have an NB Sensor!

Comment

Working...
                              X