replied
    Re: Ga-ep45-ud3p + ocz 16gb ram

And 1-2-3, 2-3-4, 1-2-4?

Leave a comment:

• pfak
    replied

So, I noticed something interesting:

If all banks but DDR2_2 bank are populated with memory, memtest86+ passes with no errors.

When I populate DDR_2 bank with RAM so that all banks are populated, memtest86+ fails. If DDR2_2 bank is only populated with RAM, then memtest86+ passes.

Code:
    Bank #  1       2       3       4       Result
            X       X       X       X       Fail
            X               X       X       Pass
                    X                       Pass

Leave a comment:

• ill
    replied

Intel Processor Spec Finder

Filter Summary

If the fsb is 400MHz, then the memory freq should be 800MHz. Divide that 800 by 2 and you have 400. A 1:1 ratio.

fsb 425MHz, fsb 850MHz= 1:1 ratio

This is based on what I did with one of my machines.

Last edited by ill; 02-04-2009, 10:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pfak
    replied

Originally posted by ill View Post
    pfak,

Shouldn't the memory freq and the fsb have a 1:1 ratio to prevent a bottleneck?
    Why not try, if you haven't done so already, to bring the dram volts up to the maximum sustainable, without damaging the sticks, while leaving timing in auto. Increase the Vcore to max, without damaging the component, etc. Once stability has been achieved, start cranking down the voltages until instability occurs.
    How do I determine the "max" for the Vcore and the 1:1 ratio between memory frequency and FSB?

I am running a Q9550 on this mainboard.

Leave a comment:

• ill
    replied

pfak,

Shouldn't the memory freq and the fsb have a 1:1 ratio to prevent a bottleneck?
    Why not try, if you haven't done so already, to bring the dram volts up to the maximum sustainable, without damaging the sticks, while leaving timing in auto. Increase the Vcore to max, without damaging the component, etc. Once stability has been achieved, start cranking down the voltages until instability occurs.

Leave a comment:

• pfak
    replied

Well, the problem is I don't know what to set the voltage/timing/etc to to get the machine stable, I've never had to "tweak" the MCH or anything to have memory stable before (infact this is the first Intel machine I've bought since 1998)

Leave a comment:

• ill
    replied

From Gigabyte

"You should be able to use 16gb of memory, but if those are higher spec memory you will need to manually adjust the memory setting. By default only the SPD default will be detected and make not be fully stable if that much memory are being used."

You're right. The memory is obviously of a higher spec, so an adjustment is necessary. That's definitive enough for me.

asahito,

I should not have written those replies. I had been up for almost two days working on a machine that was becoming a massive headache. I did not read your initial post. I just skimmed over it. When I finally got sleep, I read it and found all the questions that I asked you had already answered in your first post. Please forgive my unwarranted behavior.

ill
    Last edited by ill; 02-04-2009, 09:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pfak
    replied

Originally posted by asahito View Post
    Forget it 'might' work with 8GB [2x4GB], it actually does. Whats more, it even works with 12GB [3x4GB]! The whole thing comes a crashing when I add the 4th, 4GB, module.

As for trying different slots & module configuration, tried it already & so did pfak. I need all 16GB; ever try having your own virtualized network, even 16GB isn't enough for that. And I'm sure pfak has his reasons for the 16GB too.
    I can't even get mine to be stable at 3x4GB, what settings are you using voltage and timing wise?

Oh wow, I got a response out of Gigabyte after two days stating:

"Since those are higher spec memory did you perform proper bios adjustment to the memory proper spec and voltage?"

SUPER helpful.
    Last edited by pfak; 02-04-2009, 09:34 PM. Reason: Added Gigabyte reply

Leave a comment:

• asahito
    replied

Jor3llBR; those settings didn't work. As I stated previously I tried 1.380v for MCH, without any luck.

pfak; the Vista Upgrade only differes in timing, x-6-6 compared to the Gold's x-5-5. So I assume they're the same design/chips just binned different.

I am leaning a lot more on the BIOS not supporting 16GB thing & hoping its not by design on the UD3P, coz then were screwed. Ditto on the 'if you advertise support for 16GB, it better work with 16GB' thing.

mv2devnull; seems you and matm both got the DQ6, that board has had time to mature with BIOS revisons. For example, from the DQ6 BIOS page:
    F9 2008/07/15 1. Enhanced memory compatibility
    I don't even see anything remotely close to 'memory' being mentioned in any of the UD3P BIOS revisions so far.

But the fact that matm used 2 sets of 2x4GB kits & all with default voltages says a lot right there; these modules should work with everything set to default/auto. Heck the entire 16GB kit is rated 1.8v! Even you didn't change much regarding voltages.

ill; probably a good idea to wait for an answer, though I doubt you're gonna get any useful reply. They do advertise UD3P as supporting 16GB, but I do hope that theyre working on the 16GB thing for BIOS F8 release. Otherwise I'd have to return the board, even though I really like it.

OCZ forum has confirmed they validated these 16GB kits in the P5Q PRO & Deluxe; guess I should'nt have returned my P5Q Deluxe.

powergiga; thats what I want to know, will Gigabyte add support for 16GB ram, well they better as they advertised such, & when is it coming? I can't exactly wait a year without a computer.

Forget it 'might' work with 8GB [2x4GB], it actually does. Whats more, it even works with 12GB [3x4GB]! The whole thing comes a crashing when I add the 4th, 4GB, module.

As for trying different slots & module configuration, tried it already & so did pfak. I need all 16GB; ever try having your own virtualized network, even 16GB isn't enough for that. And I'm sure pfak has his reasons for the 16GB too.
    Last edited by asahito; 02-04-2009, 06:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pfak
    replied

Originally posted by powergiga View Post
    Why not try reduced from 16GB to 8GB and see what happen, I think UD3P/R still not mature for over 8GB-16GB with 4 sticks at the time.

I think it's might work with 2x4GB total 8GB should be up and running.

put 2 stick of ram on slot 1 and 3 to see if boot up or not then remove ram from slot 1,3 then put ram on slot 2,4 then cross fingers.
    The board says it supports 16GB RAM, I'm sure the reason both of us are buying 4x4GB is because we *need* 16GB RAM on the machine. I have tons of boards that support 8GB and this board is supposed to support 16GB.

Gigabyte shouldn't advertise it as supporting 16GB if it doesn't. I've ran this board stable with 2x4GB but that is unacceptable!

/End of rant
    Last edited by pfak; 02-04-2009, 04:44 PM. Reason: Tags didnt show up and clipping

Leave a comment:

• powergiga
    replied

@ asahito,

Why not try reduced from 16GB to 8GB and see what happen, I think UD3P/R still not mature for over 8GB-16GB with 4 sticks at the time.

I think it's might work with 2x4GB total 8GB should be up and running.

put 2 stick of ram on slot 1 and 3 to see if boot up or not then remove ram from slot 1,3 then put ram on slot 2,4 then cross fingers.

Hope it help

OR time for hunt other brand of board that support 16GB right out of box, but not this one UD3P/R.

pg

Leave a comment:

• pfak
    replied

Originally posted by mv2devnull View Post
    matm got (different) ocz (and I got mushkin) working on ep45-dq6 by doing essentially nothing.

But that does not tell anything about ud3p and the other ocz memory ...
    I tested each stick of RAM by itself on the board with 3 passes each, and they all passed memtest86+, so there is nothing wrong with the RAM.

Originally posted by ill View Post
    That's interesting. I followed that link. I am waiting for a
    reply from Gigabyte regarding 16GB of memory on a EP45-UD3P board. I didn't really believe that tweaking the board was necessary to get the machine up and running. If Gigabyte says it must be tweaked, then I'll believe it.
    I e-mailed Gigabyte 2 days ago and I haven't received a response yet. I would like a response from them because OCZ seems to be blaming them for the problem.

Leave a comment:

• ill
    replied

That's interesting. I followed that link. I am waiting for a reply from Gigabyte regarding 16GB of memory on a EP45-UD3P board. I didn't really believe that tweaking the board was necessary to get the machine up and running. If Gigabyte says it must be tweaked, then I'll believe it.

Leave a comment:

• mv2devnull
    replied

matm got (different) ocz (and I got mushkin) working on ep45-dq6 by doing essentially nothing.

But that does not tell anything about ud3p and the other ocz memory ...
    Last edited by mv2devnull; 02-04-2009, 02:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pfak
    replied

Originally posted by Jor3llBR View Post
    Diferent CPUs diferent settings, those were for the Q9650.
    What would you recommend for the Q9950?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X