Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd RAM volt readings with P35C-DSR3 mobo / BIOS v.F10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd RAM volt readings with P35C-DSR3 mobo / BIOS v.F10?

Hi,

In November last year, I decided to add an additional 2GB of RAM to my P35C-DSR3 mobo (full details, see footer of this message *** My system specifications and BIOS settings ***), thus now totalling at 4GB. Unfortunately, this operation did no go very smoothly. But with patience and after reading a lot of threads and very usefull advice by 'Lsdmeasap', I managed to tweak my BIOS properly (without OC intentions anyway) and to get my system in a stable, reliable status. At least I think so...

The last couple of weeks I ran several tests (BIOS settings as specified in footer) with success: e.g. 'Memtest.86+ v2.01' - 'OCCTPT2.0.1' - '3DMark Vantage'. The system today is running stable and reliable without any major concerns...

However, I am still left with two major queries and hopefully I can get somebody to help me...

*** Query ONE ***
    In my BIOS screen 'HealthStatus', the reading for my DDR2 Voltage is mostly at 1,95V up to 1,98V. (See enclosed file: BIOS_OK20090110-PC_HealthStatus.jpg). Though my 'DDR2/DDR3 OverVoltage Control' is set at [+0.300V] and so I am expecting a reading here in the region of 2,1V (normal 1,8V + 0,3V). This DDR2 voltage figure within the range 1,95V / 1,98V (on cold boot even progressively starting up at 1,824V and then reaching the normal value working range of 1,95V / 1,98V with a very rarely seen max. of 2,0V), is also confirmed by similar readings via software applications e.g. CPUID HW Monitor and Speedfan. Though, I am full aware that such software readings are not 100% accurate, they seem somehow to match with my BIOS reading?
    *** My Question ONE... ***
    How should I interpret this finding? For, somewhere on this forum I read the statement (for the same MOBO - http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/p35c...75/index6.html) by 'Lsdmeasap':
    'Quote'
    It should have been fixed after a BIOS update, can you not set your voltages still? Are you using the latest BIOS?
    'Quote'
    And at what voltage is my DDR2 now actually running...? And does this 'strange voltage reading' effect my DDR2 'Timing Control' settings in any way... are these settings thus correctly configured or should they be further optimized in any way?

*** Query TWO ***
    With below current BIOS settings, my system is apperently reliable and stable... with the exception of running the FarCry2 game... Here, I am confronted with the fact that the game freezes at random (mostly - not always - with the sound becoming a high pitched tone) and after I've been playing for anywhere from a few single minutes up to max. half an hour. The computer is then mostly completely unresponsive and requires most of the times a 'hard reboot'. Currently checking with FarCry2 support to find out what's going wrong. If this freezing might be caused by a software issue... Anyhow, today no further result yet.
    *** My Question TWO... ***OCZ Technology | Products | Memory | OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel
    * 2GB (slot #1 and #3) with EPP#1 configuration voltage at 2,1 Volt
    * 2GB (slot #2 and #4) with EPP#1 configuration voltage at 2,3 Volt

Total fysical memory : 3,50 GB
    Available fysical mem : 2,45 GB
    Total virtual mem : 3,93 GB
    Available virtual mem : 2,80 GB
    Space for pagefile : 512 MB
    Location pagefile : D:\pagefile.sys

PowerSupply :Corsair HX620W

PCI VideoCard * type : GeForce 8600 GTS, compatibel met NVIDIA
    Description : NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
    RAM-memory : 256,00 MB (268.435.456 bytes)
    Version driver : 7.15.11.8120

Robust Graphics Booster: [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio: [9]
    CPU Frequency: 3.00 Ghz (333x9)
    CPU Host Clock Control: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz): [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz): [100]
    C.I.A. 2: [Disabled]
    Performance Enhance: [Standard]
    System Memory Multiplier: (SPD) [3.00]
    Memory Frequency (Mhz): 667 1000
    DRAM Timing Selectable: (SPD) __ [Manual]