EX58 UD5 BIOS crash with Sandisk Cruzer USB stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX58 UD5 BIOS crash with Sandisk Cruzer USB stick

When i boot and my Sandisk Cruzer is connected then the BIOS crashes at error 50 (initialize USB keyboard and mouse).
    With my other USB stick it does not crash.
    My cruzer usb stick is a bootable usb stick, i've tested in my other pc and there it works fine.
    i've also tested 3 BIOS versions F4 F5d and F5e but is crashes with all three. In windows the cruzer usb stick works normal.
    What can be the problem?

Re: EX58 UD5 BIOS crash with Sandisk Cruzer USB stick

Hi,

I have a similar problem on my x58 Extreme.

When I plug in my USB mouse and keyboard BT receiver, (via it's usb hub) I crash at POST.

When I plug in a Western Digi 320GB 2.5" USB HDD, I crash at POST too.

Using a regular USB mouse and USB keyboard is fine. (Thankfully).

When I plug the BT receiver out of the hub and directly into a USB port its fine.

So there are some serious detection issues here.

Did you manage to resolve any of these issues with a BIOS update? I've tried the latest BIOS (F5g for me) and I still have these problems..... :(

Salada
    CPU: Core i7 920 @ 3.4Ghz
    AIR: Noctua NH-U12P SE1366
    MEM: GSkill PI 1600Mhz CL8 3*2GB
    MOB: Gigabyte ex58 Extreme
    HDD: 2 * WD 640 Caviar Black 32MB (RAID 0) on Intel Matrix
    GPU: Inno3D GTX 285 OC
    BOX: Coolermaster ATCS 840
    PSU: Thermaltake QFAN 850 W

Comment

No i still have the problem :(, i've also tested the most recent beta bios but with no result.

Comment

I just got a response from Gigabyte about the issue:

1. We would suggest connect your USB device (besides USB keyboard and mouse) to MB after system boot into WINDOWS to avoid the known OS related issue. Sorry for the inconvenience.

But the issue is clearly NOT os realted. We are talking about a crash at POST. So now I'm going to have to ask them again, which means wait another week for a reply.

I've also considered the board may be faulty. I find it strange that only you and I seem to have this issue. I can't find anyone else with the same issue, and since I found you, it is no longer localised to the Extreme. It's now the UD5 too. Although I'm sure the differences between the boards are very subtle anyway.

I'm considering taking mine back next week and getting a replacement due to Gigabyte's response which I feel was not very helpful. At least if they could tell me for sure it can/will be fixed with a BIOS update, I'm stil left wondering about faulty hardware.

If I get the replacement, I will be sure to post here and let you know the results.

Cheers.

Salada

Comment

Where exactly does it "crash"? And does it even crash (i.e. reboot) or just not continue to boot. You need to provide some accurate descriptions if you want answers. Your descriptions are close to useless, the only useful information is that it doesn't boot into windows when these things are connected.

Not knowing what's actually happening (since you didn't describe it) I would guess your board tries to boot of the USB stick or the USB HD. I had that happen to me when I had a bootable USB drive connected.
          To confirm this hit F8 at startup to manually selct to boot from your normal HD. If this works then this is not a problem but a feature.

Comment

Hi Nickel020,

Well, please accept my apologies. I believe I mentioned that the system crashes at POST, ie. during the power on self test. To be exact, which I think is what you're asking, it tends to crash exactly at the point that your CPU is identified and before it lists how much memory you have on the POST screen. One time it listed how much memory I had, but did not actually print the next line 'Memory Test OK'. It never gets that far.

So as I had said earlier in my somewhat useless description, it seems to be a BIOS fault. Or maybe some kind of faulty hardware because I haven't heard it mentioned outside of this thread. But it definitely is not related to boot order or any other such thing that would jump out and smack you in the face, after looking at every single BIOS option in detail at least 20 times at 3:00am convincing yourself that you may have missed something. No siree, this is a bug, or fault.

Comment

Sorry for being a bit snappy, but sometimes it does piss me off how little people think before posting and how they just expect other people to do the work for them. What people think of POST means varies widely here, so unless you show in your post that you do know a little more I have to always assume that you don't (otherwise the guy on the other end will get an answer that doesn't help).

Maybe I should take some time off, too much stupidity for me to handle in too short a time ;) Answering questions that people could have answered themselves over and over somehow gets to me...

On to the problem:
              There's basically two possibilities, it can be the mainboard or it can be the USB drive.
              If it's the mainboard you can try to play with all the USB settings in BIOS and try newer and older BIOS revisions (have you done that?).
              To exclude the device itself being the problem you can try other similar devices like it (if they work the device is the problem) and also try the device on another PC.
              If similar devices don't work on your board but the devices work on other similar boards (preferrably Intel P45 or X58) then there's obviously something wrong with your board. Whether this is an issue that can/will be fixed in a future BIOS is a question that probably only the BIOS engineers from GB can answer.

And again, nothing anyone with half a brain couldn't have thought of ;P

Comment

Some USB Devices are just not compatible, that's just life.

What I would like to know that I don't see mentioned is do you have Legacy USB Storage Detect enabled in the Integrated Peripherals BIOS page? This must be enabled to boot from, or even to have a USB Device connected at bootup. If you do have this enabled, then the issue may just be that your particular USB Stick is not compatible with this board to boot with

Comment

Hi Guys,

Yes I have this option (USB Storage) set to enabled at the moment. Tweaking that option does not help. The thing is, once Windows boots, and I wait until then to plug these devices in, they work fine. I've tried them on several other PC's (plugged in at boot time, and used in Windows) with no problems whatsoever. But in my system, no amount of BIOS tweaking can fix it. Also please bear in mind I'm not trying to boot from these devices, and these freezes are happening long before boot time, they are happening at POST. And it's not every USB device I have, just my portable HDD, and my USB hub. I have a USB camera, a USB stick, and a USB BT transceiver that all work fine and can be plugged in prior to powering up the system, and left plugged in at all times without causing any issues.

I guess what I'm really after, is finding out if anyone else has this exact issue with USB devices. Ultimately what I'd like to know is this:

- Is the board faulty and will a replacement fix this issue?
                  or
                  - Is this a BIOS device detection 'bug' that will be fixed in another release and should I just be patient.

That's all I want to know, because I need to know if I should be returning my board or not which is going to take significant effort and I'd like to avoid that if it's not actually necessary.

Cheers

Salada
                  Last edited by salada2k; 02-19-2009, 06:25 PM.

Comment

It is just a incompatibility with that particular USB Device then if Disabling Legacy USB Storage detect does not help.

It is not a faulty board at all. A future BIOS update may fix it, but it is not likely.

Comment

hello,

i've hit this thread from google.

i have the exact same board (EX58-UD5, bios F7) and the exact same problem with two different usb sticks: one A-Data PD7 8GB and one no name. I can't boot with the devices connected and the and the USB Storage Legacy active.

If the later is inactive, the drives will not be detected and I will not be able to boot from a usb stick to install an os or flash the bios. Dedication one of the drive to readyboost is also out of the question since it would mean removing it and pluging it in every time the computer powers up.

I'll try to play around with the bios settings, keep you posted.

LE: I'm happy to report that bios F8b (F8 beta) fixes the usb issues. GJ Gigabyte.
                      Last edited by eXecu7or; 06-14-2009, 01:21 AM. Reason: Issue resolved.

Comment

It appears this issue may have returned in BIOS F9E on the EX58-UD5. Can anyone confirm?
                        On F8H, I had 2 of 3 USB flash drives that could be connected during POST (working: Transcend JF V30 4GB, OCZ Diesel 4GB, Not working: Corsair Flash Voyager). On F9E, all 3 have the problem.

To provide some clarity:
                        If a USB stick is connected at boot (warm or cold), at the moment that the USB becomes active (when the mouse light normally first turns on), the POST process will stop and the USB becomes inactive.

If the USB stick is connected via a powered HUB, the "freeze" is instantaneous - the mouse connected to the same hub lights and stays lit. If the mouse is unplugged/replugged it does not light again.

When the USB stick is connected to a pass-through (ports connected to MB USB headers), it's LED flashes several times at lockup and the mouse on my powered hub never lights.

As others here, all of my USB sticks function normally when connected after the OS loads. Also, they can all be connected to a old Dell XPS Gen3 at POST w/o problems - they're also bootable on that system.

I'm leaning towards a BIOS issue. I'd be very curious to know the differences between the Corsair and the other brands and why the BIOS would react differently to them back in F8H. Although I think it's the BIOS, I hope to soon have time to strip the system to just using the rear MB ports, keyboard, mouse, and flash drives to eliminate all other variables in testing.

My BIOS is set with both USB 1.0 and 2.0 enabled, Legacy support for keyboard and storage is enabled, Legacy support for mouse is currently disabled. Disabling legacy USB storage allows the system to boot with the flash drive connected, but eliminates my ability to boot from flash (not surprisingly).

I'll post back with a more comprehensive test flow. I may include a fall back to F8.

Please chime in with thoughts, experiences, or whatever may help me in narrowing this down.

Thanks

Comment

For reference.
                          Here's the USB devices in question as reported by the OS. This is a report of all devices connected to the USB headers. The Corsair product is connected to the Atech card reader. The other two are connected to the case's pass-throughs.
                          Sorry for the long post.
                          USB High-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built-in USB
                          Host Controller Driver: XXXXXUSBEHCI (vendor obscured)
                          PCI Device ID: 0x3a3a
                          PCI Revision ID: 0x0000
                          PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086
                          Bus Number: 0xfd

USB HD:

Capacity: 4.01 GB (4,009,754,624 bytes)
                          Removable Media: Yes
                          Detachable Drive: Yes
                          BSD Name: disk8
                          Product ID: 0x1f00
                          Vendor ID: 0x13fe (Phison Electronics Corp.)
                          Version: 1.10
                          Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
                          Location ID: 0xfd300000
                          Current Available (mA): 500
                          Current Required (mA): 200
                          Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)
                          S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
                          Volumes:
                          DIESEL:
                          Capacity: 4.01 GB (4,009,711,104 bytes)
                          Available: 3.99 GB (3,992,158,208 bytes)
                          Writable: Yes
                          File System: MS-DOS FAT32
                          BSD Name: disk8s1
                          Mount Point: /Volumes/DIESEL

Mass Storage Device:

Capacity: 4.02 GB (4,016,046,080 bytes)
                          BSD Name: disk7
                          Product ID: 0x6387
                          Vendor ID: 0x058f (Alcor Micro, Corp.)
                          Version: 1.00
                          Serial Number: FRK28XS7
                          Manufacturer: JetFlash
                          Location ID: 0xfd400000
                          Current Required (mA): 100
                          Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
                          Volumes:
                          jetflash:
                          Capacity: 3.67 GB (3,672,072,192 bytes)
                          Available: 3.63 GB (3,634,159,616 bytes)
                          File System: Journaled HFS+
                          BSD Name: disk7s2
                          Mount Point: /Volumes/jetflash

Flash Voyager:

Capacity: 8.09 GB (8,086,618,112 bytes)
                          BSD Name: disk6
                          Product ID: 0x0ab1
                          Vendor ID: 0x1b1c (CORSAIR MEMORY INC.)
                          Version: 1.00
                          Serial Number: 3e53de0674212a
                          Manufacturer: Corsair
                          Location ID: 0xfd100000
                          Current Required (mA): 98
                          Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
                          Volumes:
                          VOYAGER:
                          Capacity: 7.74 GB (7,742,644,224 bytes)
                          Available: 4.18 GB (4,178,460,672 bytes)
                          File System: HFS+
                          BSD Name: disk6s2
                          Mount Point: /Volumes/VOYAGER

Media Reader:

Product ID: 0x6118
                          Vendor ID: 0x11b0 (ATECH FLASH TECHNOLOGY)
                          Version: 97.36
                          Serial Number: A00000007
                          Manufacturer: XM5UE
                          Location ID: 0xfd200000
                          Current Required (mA): 500

Comment

Pretty much the same thing - different stick:
                            A Gigabyte tale of USB woe!

Comment

Originally posted by bilbat View Post
                              Pretty much the same thing - different stick:
                              A Gigabyte tale of USB woe!
                              Bill I had a similiar thing on my PC in regard to an Acronis Disk director 10 boot Disk and AHCI (& extermal USB drive connected). Reading your post at the linked address reminded me how it reset my Overclocking Settings and also corrupted some of the boot files which i had to repair using the Vista install disk and BCD edit.

Interestingly though and I have similiar problems to this before, however using my IDE cd/dvd drive eliminates the problems with Some Bootable CD's (created usually via ISO). So hence I still have two cd/dvd drives as they are a tenth of the price I used to pay in my PC's, but one still has to be IDE.

It seems as though there is an issue with some USB bootable capable devices which seems more noticeable if you are in AHCI mode. Add something like an SATA cd/dvd drive to the mix and all sorts of weird things happen.
                              In fact I now have noters as to what combinations work and if an external drive should be on etc..
                              GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Working...
                              X