Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-EP45-UD3P + Mushkin RAM = reboot loop ... help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3P + Mushkin RAM = reboot loop ... help!

Hi!

So, I just got my computer built with the following:
    EP45-UD3P mobo
    Mushkin HP2 6400 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800 5-4-4-12 (1.8V) 240pins (996587)
    Q9550 Quad core CPU

So, unbeknowst to me, everything seemed fine initially, and I installed WinXP just fine... Then I noticed later on that when I tried to restart the computer, I would get stuck into the dreaded reboot loop that I've been reading about.

Then I get drawn into this whole big world of having to tweak the settings because apparently the stock settings for this motherboard aren't stable... scary stuff for a newb like me. =(

In any case, I've tested both of the sticks separately with memtest and things at a glance seem to be ok - one pass only. And things are definitely not stable with both ram sticks in - in that I would only be able to load up windows every now and then.

Even with one stick, and a reset CMOS, I get stuck in a reboot loop, and even more annoyingly, I can't get into the BIOS and when I do, it would freeze up soon after!

So, I've seen the posts about changing the timing settings and voltage, and I've tried some of it - and I just read the sticky post about the suggested timings by Lsdmeasp. Unfortunately I'm at work right now so I can't start trying it...

So my questions so far are:
    1. if I have problems with getting into BIOS with just one stick, and the memtest seems to be ok - what could that mean? Is there a way around that?
    2. Is there a definite fix that someone has for my configuration? I've read elsewhere that Mushkin and Gigabyte work well together ...
    3. Should I update my BIOS? I really rather not...
    Thanks!

Re: GA-EP45-UD3P + Mushkin RAM = reboot loop ... help!

i would try 5-4-4-15 timings @ 1.9v and set where it says turbo to standard, also make sure your multiplier is the correct one for your cpu it seems these board don't auto set them anymore.

GA-EP45-UD3P, Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz (SLB9Y)
    XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+
    Hardrives (2 seagate (2x500G) sata-II, 4 maxtor,2x200G raid 0 sata, 1 -300G(pata), 1-200G(pata))
    OCZ SLI 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel OCZ2N800SR4GK
    OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V SLI

Comment

How would I know what multiplier is correct for my cpu? (e9550 quad core) - and what setting am I changing exactly?

And, why 5-4-4-15 rather than 5-4-4-12?

Sorry for being such a newbie... =(

Comment

Another thing too... I read in the motherboard manual that to reset the cmos, I could just disconnect the PS cord, and use a screw driver to create a bridge between the jumpers of the CLR_CMOS .... and I only have to do it for 4 seconds...

But then from doing some reading here... it seems like you people are doing things for longer (10-20mins?)... am I gonna brick my mobo this way? Now I'm worried...

Comment

if you reset the bios remember to set it back to optimized defaults in the bios otherwise everything is set wrong (you should only reset the bios if your pc wont boot, there is other ways to make it reset too like press the "insert" key on your keyboard when you press the power button) , also it seems the Q9550 uses a 8.5 ratio multiplier (you might want to check your intel box and see if its model SLAWQ) if its not just type your model in where SLAWQ is in the url. then look at the Bus/Core Ratio , also look at the Bus Speed 1333mhz (so fsb would be "333" in the bios )
          bios settings
          MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.)
          -> CPU Clock Ratio [ 8 X]
          -> Fine CPU Clock Ratio +0.5
          (then it will be 8.5)
          CPU Frequency 2.83GHz (should show 2.83(2)~ ghz)

as for 5-4-4-15 @ 1.9 volt , they are more stable settings , also 1.8 volt seems low for ddr800 ram i would at least put it to 1.9 volts (usally the more volts the more stable the ram will be just don't go over 2.2 (might want to double check with the ram maker first to see what it can handle))
          Last edited by hyakki; 12-24-2008, 09:18 AM.

GA-EP45-UD3P, Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz (SLB9Y)
          XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+
          Hardrives (2 seagate (2x500G) sata-II, 4 maxtor,2x200G raid 0 sata, 1 -300G(pata), 1-200G(pata))
          OCZ SLI 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel OCZ2N800SR4GK
          OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V SLI

Comment

what's your bios version?

Comment

I'm not at home right now but I will definitely let you know once I can...

Perhaps you could just let me know what versions I should upgrade from?

Comment

As far as the manual settings for the ram go, if you head over to the official Mushkin boards, Greg(the moderator) will help you with all the advanced settings. The settings he gave me for similar ram worked perfectly so far. He usually replies very quickly as well.

Comment

@ wheee:
                  I'm afraid bios isn't the problem,but you would definitely want to update it (not from @BIOS nor any program from windows,use the Qflash guide LSDMEASAP made)to the latest(http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Mot...ProductID=2919 select download F6,though in second thought i dont think it's your problem, try increasing the voltage i specified later in this post).
                  what may fix your problems is the N\B voltage, aka MCH voltage, try to raise it to 1.26-1.22,i dont think it's THE RAMs' problem, it's a combo of both ram and mobo, so MCH voltage could help, and could you please check what is the static tread value set to in advanced timings?
                  what kind of tweaking do you wonna do?
                  EDIT:
                  Or could it be CPU? :O
                  Or PSU?
                  Last edited by Dweirdo; 12-24-2008, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Dweirdo:

Thanks for the info (and everyone else too!). I don't really want to do any OC/tweaking at all - I just want a stable system. So once I achieve that, I'll be more-or-less happy... unless that stability comes at a great performance cost...

But I will definitely let you know what my static tread values are once I get home in a couple of hours.

Thanks

Comment

No Problem ;)
                      When it comes to RAM,this is the most tricky thing to get stable, although Stock settings SHOULD WORK!, so if the ram is not faulty, you should just increase MCH voltage.
                      otherwise I cant see what's the problem, also restoring everything to OPTIMIZED defaults would be great(once i had the same problem,lots of reset loops, got lucky to boot once and restored everything to optimized by pressing F7, but not just in the Main M.I.T screen, every place that you can enter using "Enter" you should press F7 there(before you do it in the main M.I.T) that saved me)

Comment

Working...
                      X