Reboot Loop issue with EP35-DS3R Rev 2.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reboot Loop issue with EP35-DS3R Rev 2.1

Good evening. I am in the process of building what was supposed to be my Christmas present, Parents supply (most) of the cost for parts, I put it together because I'm the only one who knows how and I enjoy the process at times. I've run into an issue with either my RAM, CPU, or the Board itself.

First, allow me to post some system specifications for this new build.

Mainboard
    • GIGABYTE EP35-DS3R Revision 2.1

Processor
    • Intel Core2Quad Q6600 LGA 775
    • Third Party Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro 92mm cooler.
    • Aftermarket Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver Five

Memory
    • G-SKILL F2-8500CL6D-4GBNQ (2x2G. DDR2-1066Mhz, 2.0V)

Video Card
    • CHAINTECH GSV86GT 512MB GeForce 8600 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16

Now the problem is as follows:
    When I attempt to start the machine, it will reboot itself within a short period of time. At first it was getting to POST, telling me there was a bad BIOS or Backup BIOS checksum, attempting to recover, and rebooting. There was a brief moment in which it worked, after i meticulously removed everything and re-installed the Proc, GPU, and RAM. Please note that now, removing everything but the RAM, Proc and GPU does not solve the issue. At this point, the machine will either stay on a few seconds and then turn off for a moment, then turn back on without displaying anything on the screen, or it will do so while showing that it is attempting to auto-recover the BIOS, all the while, it blinks the power light, which I have always thought to be a symptom of bad RAM, hence my concern. Also, just before it decided to start going to Auto-Recovery instead of POST, it would hang at what I believed was the Memory check. The CPU would be positively identified and "Memory" would be either right below that, or at the bottom of the screen. I assume that it's showing up due to the normal Memory test that takes place during POST.

I have built and wired the machine up to the exact specifications that it is supposed to be wired up to. I have tested both sticks of RAM individually in every slot on the board. If i could simply get it to stay on long enough to flash the BIOS to see if it is merely corrupt, that would be nice. I am at wit's end, having worked on this since about 7PM central standard time. It is now 3:30 in the morning central standard time. When I am through building this, I will have the best system of anyone I know in my vicinity. I don't say this to brag, I say this as an indication that I am not capable of testing the CPU or RAM in another system, as no one else that I know is running a DDR2 or Multi-Core system that I can just open up without voiding their warranty or potentially busting their OS install.

I am looking for any advice that the general forum populous can provide, or that the GIGABYTE support team can provide. I work for my University's IT department, so I am familiar with the processes involved in troubleshooting and wish that I could provide more technical information in regards to the problem. I'm usually fairly good at fixing machines, but I don't get the opportunity to build them very often due to limited financial resources.

As of my last final test of the RAM slots, nothing is working, the board powers on for just one or two seconds, shuts off for one or two seconds, then powers for about 5 seconds.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Re: Reboot Loop issue with EP35-DS3R Rev 2.1

Are you trying to run the Ram at 1066Mhz?
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

My EP45-UD3R tends to get caught in a boot loop if it isn't happy with a bios setting. It reboots and tries to load the backup bios settings from the hard drive. I don't have a backup on the hard drive so it reboots and tries again, and again... You can keep hitting DEL and eventually get into the bios after a few tries. When you're in the bios you can reset to optimum settings, or fail safe (can't remember what it's called). You can also set the bios to load backup settings from the backup onboard bios, not the harddrive (I also forgot what this setting is called, sorry).

If this fail or you cannot get into the bios then you can clear the bios. Be sure to read the guide here... ("Clearing the CMOS" in the second post)

I've also found that the bios on my board will incorrectly detect the proper cpu multiplier, ram voltage and timings and some other things. You should be sure they are set correctly.

After changing settings in the bios its normal for the computer to power off for a second then reboot itself.

The bios on these boards is very complex and can do some strange things, but dont give up, keep trying and it should work. Please let us know if you have more troubles and one of the experts on the forum can probably help.

Comment

The RAM is rated at 2.0-2.1V, However, the board will not stay on long enough for me to get into the BIOS to set the board to the proper setting. I know it can't be the PSU because it was just powering my old SocketA system fine. I also know it is compatible because it is a PSU that supports both a full 24 Pin setup (20+4Pin) and ATX12V. The seller has reccomended that I loosen the GPU, stating that he has personally seen situations in which a GPU that was screwed down too tightly caused system failure.

I'm going to try a few ideas and will get back to you all shortly. I really do fear that it is the mainboard itself. Though if it's the RAM issue, that would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by TravitoDLM View Post
          The RAM is rated at 2.0-2.1V, However, the board will not stay on long enough for me to get into the BIOS to set the board to the proper setting. I know it can't be the PSU because it was just powering my old SocketA system fine. I also know it is compatible because it is a PSU that supports both a full 24 Pin setup (20+4Pin) and ATX12V. The seller has reccomended that I loosen the GPU, stating that he has personally seen situations in which a GPU that was screwed down too tightly caused system failure.

I'm going to try a few ideas and will get back to you all shortly. I really do fear that it is the mainboard itself. Though if it's the RAM issue, that would be awesome.
          Although it sounds like a RAM issue, I'm interested as to what make and model your PSU is. Only a handful of socket A boards used an ATX12volt connector, because in the main the cpu supply was derived from the 5 volt line, unlike modern day boards where most of the loading is on the 12volt supply.
          GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
            Although it sounds like a RAM issue, I'm interested as to what make and model your PSU is. Only a handful of socket A boards used an ATX12volt connector, because in the main the cpu supply was derived from the 5 volt line, unlike modern day boards where most of the loading is on the 12volt supply.
            ThermalTake TR2 ATX12V 430w
            Newegg.com - Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Supplies

I agree that it does sound like shoddy RAM to an extent, the BootBlock recovery thing is greatly concerning me. I DID manage to go into the BIOS once and was smart enough to set the first boot device to Floppy, so after i'm absolutely sure the CMOS has cleared (i'm letting that jumper drain that battery for a good length of time, not just the 20 minutes recommended,) i'm going to try to use the Boot Floppy method to flash. But i'm pretty sure the machine randomly shutting itself off mid-recovery has already bricked the board. I can try to capture video of the issue if need be. I have a digital camera capable of recording video handy.

EDIT:
            CMOS Reset did not help, Haven't tried entirely removing the battery though, but I let the jumper rest on that header for well over an hour with the power unplugged from the back.

Also, I completely removed the RAM just to see if it would give me the error code as it should. It started for a second, powered off for a second, as it has been doing, then starts up and gives me the error beeps for about 7 seconds, then reboot loops again.
            Last edited by TravitoDLM; 12-23-2008, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Bump to notify those who have been helping that I have updated the last post.

Comment

Even though you are using an 8600GT (which is relatively frugal), that Thermaltake PSU has a very weak 12volt rail (18amps) compared to other 430watt PSU's. It's more suited to socket A because the rail distribution is focused more to the 5 volt rail.

Put it this way, my HX520 (520watt) can deliver up to 40amps on the 12volt line and that is where you need the capacity on a modern day board, especially considering you are using a Q6600.

I would try just one stick of Ram, but i feel that as boot up loads the PSU the most (ie hard drives take 2-3x their normal read/write current), you can't really rule that out causing your current problems.

Ideally (if you can) try/borrow a PSU that can deliver say 30amps or more on it's 12volt line.
                Last edited by VorLonUK; 12-23-2008, 05:58 PM.

Comment

One Stick of RAM is a no-go, as is no RAM or GPU at all. It'll start for a second, turn off long enough for the fans to stop, start and give normal error beeps (like it's supposed to) for about 7-8 seconds before it powers off again.

Comment

I really wouldn't waste anymore of your time until you have tried another power supply capable of supplying 30amps or more of the 12volt line, as I took time to explain on my previous post.

The CPU VRM is supplied by the 4/8 pin 12volt atx and a q6600 isn't the most frugal of CPU's.
                    I would not be surprised that if you monitored the PSU's +12volt line that it was dropping to around 9volts and/or reseting soon after swich on and during the time the bios queries the connected devices.

Take a look on this Thermaltake page - you'll see the newer TT PSU's at the bottom of the page with the 14cm fans have a smaller overall capacity , ie 300, 350, 400watts than your model (further up the page), yet have a greater 12volt capacity, as more emphasis is put on the 12volt line.

It may not be the PSU, but personally I wouldn't try anything else without measuring it's output (under load) or failing that, i would try an alternative before I investigated further.
                    Last edited by VorLonUK; 12-23-2008, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Got it, will see if there's a computer shop around that has a more powerful tester PSU they'd let me try with. Thanks for the assistance, it's a shame that I can't get this to work prior to Christmas, but good things come to those who wait and this'll turn out to be a decent and cost effective system once I've got everything running correctly.

I'll get back to you once I have tested it, thanks again!

Comment

Yeah, i'm going to have to Return the board I think, it's shot. Local computer shop hooked up a stronger PSU off the shelf and it does the same thing, and being it's doing it without RAM or a GPU in it at all, I know it's either the board or the Proc. Being no one here seems to suspect the proc that much and neither did the technician at the computer shop, I'm fairly certain it's just a bum board.

Oh well, I know once I get a working EP35 that this will be a great system, the board has been highly recommended for the type of system i'm building (a system that, shall we say, the folks at Apple don't like to hear about too much) along with the Q6600. My old, slow laptop will keep me occupied for the time being.

Thanks again for the help! i'll keep you all posted on how the new board goes.

Comment

Working...
                        X