Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP43-DS3L & Q6600 debug

Hello,

I built a new rig using the GA-EP43-DS3L and Intel Q6600 G0 CPU a couple of months ago, put a good cooler on it and overclocked it easily to 3.0GHz. The core temperatures were well within tolerances under load. I was extremely happy with the system.

A couple of weeks ago I was surprised to see the system do one of those "double boot" things where it would go back to stock speed, and in the MIT screen in BIOS it would say there had been an error due to overclocking. Hadn't seen that before, but a reboot cured it and all was fine. However, this has been getting steadily worse and now I can't even boot stock at frequencies/voltages. I can't boot stock frequencies with an increase in voltage, either. Well, that's not quite right; I can boot stock frequency & voltage if I let it do its multiple reboot thang; eventually it'll work and then boot.

But today, while trying endless varieties of settings, I hit a point where Windows wouldn't begin to boot. It would hit that point where DMI is mentioned, then nothing else. Have to hit reset. Went into BIOS and told it to only boot from the hard disk, that allowed it to boot.

I've swapped out the power supply for a high-end supply, swapped memory and GPU, upgraded to F8 BIOS, all to no avail. I've tried a single DIMM instead of two. I've disconnected the IDE DVD drive and Samsung SATA HDD. Nothing helps. So I'm down to either the motherboard or the CPU.

I can't imagine buying either a CPU or a motherboard to do the next step in the process of elimination. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks in advance.

Re: GA-EP43-DS3L & Q6600 debug

I neglected to mention that I've managed to get it to boot at 3GHz a couple of times in the past couple of weeks, and if it manages to boot it'll run reliably even under some heavy gaming. I can put it in suspend, bring it back out and it runs fine then, too. But shut it down all the way and it's going to auto-reboot at least once, maybe several times before it will make it through POST.

Another data point -- if I turn off the power supply then turn it back on, the system will boot straight away (still at stock frequency, due to the automatic reboots and MIT unhappiness leaving the BIOS settings there). Next power-on will auto-reboot once then boot at stock frequency.

Comment

Working...
    X