No announcement yet.

problems booting new PC (GA-EP45-UD3R)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems booting new PC (GA-EP45-UD3R)

I just built a new PC using a GA-EP45-UD3R, but it won't boot or even POST. everthing turns on, yet nothing displays on the monitor (it just stays in standy mode). I checked the video card on another computer and it works fine, i also checked the monitor, and I took out the RAM to test it that way. My only options left are the problem being the CPU or motherboard. When I turn it on, all 6 of Phase LEDs become lit - they don't flash or dim or anything, they just all stay brightly lit. Does that mean anything?
    My CPU is a Q6600.

Re: problems booting new PC (GA-EP45-UD3R)

Are you sure you have everything connected?

Particularly the 8-pin power connector above the CPU — the Q6600 draws over 100W and probably needs all 8 pins connected, particularly if you have a high-powered video card and lots of RAM.

Also make very sure you don't have a short to a standoff underneath or something connected that shouldn't be.

All the LED's lighting may mean nothing (my UD3R shows 2 red, 4 amber, 2 green and works fine — it would be nice if the manual told you what they mean) — all red would, I guess, mean a high power load — possibly even a short.

Try checking the board on an insulated surface outside the case with just the minimum components installed.
    Last edited by Idle; 12-20-2008, 04:16 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Oh thank you! I feel like a newb for overlooking something so simple, but the last PC I built was 5 years ago and I was still using IDE cables and a AMD Athlon. I totally overlooked the 8-pin connecter next to the CPU, but after I plugged it in, it started working.

Now I have another problem. Windows Vista isn't detecting my network. Is there something I need to do in the BIOS? I have all the LAN stuff Enables, and I did the smart test and it said "100Mbps 22m" or something like that. The UD3R only has one LAN port, correct, because that's all I could see. My current A7N8X has two, and if I plug it in the wrong one, it won't work.

Comment

Never mind, i got it. I had to install the chipset drivers for the mobo, but i think when I fixed the clock, it messed up Window's activation scheme, so I couldn't log on to install ANYTHING. I had to reformat and reinstall Windows all over again just to get it working. What a pain this activation BS is.

Comment

Working...
        X