GA-EP45-UD3R atx_12v_2x4 8 pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3R atx_12v_2x4 8 pin

New member, 1st time system builder I had purchased a GA-EP45-UD3LR for use in a Antec NSK6350B case which came with an Antec Earthwatts 430 PS. The board had a atx_12v header in addition to the regular atx 24 pin main power header. PS had the 20+4 main power connector and a atx_12v 4 pin connector. So far so good.

I then noticed that the case had a front panel IEEE 1394A port but the GA-EP45-UD3LR does not have any IEEE 1394A headers. No support unless I purchased a PCI card with an internal connector. Well, even though I'm building this system for a friend and he probably will never use Firewire, I couldn't let that little 'ol IEEE 1394A cable live inside without some function!

I checked out the GA-EP45-UD3R and found that it had an internal IEEE 1394 header and more SATA headers for actually $5 less (after rebate) then I'd paid for the UD3LR board. Seems like problem solved right? RMAd the 1st board, ordered the new board and then of course discovered the difference in the atx_12v header - 8 pin versus 4 pin.

What are my options? Can the PS 4 pin connector be plugged into the 8 pin header? Do I need some kind of adaptor? Please don't tell me I need to upgrade the PS because that means I'm going over budget on the build. System will be used for light Office applications and internet use. No gaming, no overclocking, etc. RAID being used in RAID 1 configuration (guy is paranoid about losing data but too lazy to use a backup drive!).

Second question: Any advantage to using the Gigabyte RAID controller (2 GSata headers on the board for this purpose I think) instead of the Intel MSM SATA controller?

Sorry about the long winded post and TIA for any assistance.
    Silverstone TJ08B-E micro ATX case | ASRock Z77 Pro4-M micro ATX MB | Intel i5 3570K CPU | Samsung 830 256GB SATA 3 SSD | WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA 3 HDD | EVGA GTX 650 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 SDRAM | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Windows 7 HP 64-bit

Re: GA-EP45-UD3R atx_12v_2x4 8 pin

Originally posted by highcountryrider View Post
    New member, 1st time system builder I had purchased a GA-EP45-UD3LR for use in a Antec NSK6350B case which came with an Antec Earthwatts 430 PS. The board had a atx_12v header in addition to the regular atx 24 pin main power header. PS had the 20+4 main power connector and a atx_12v 4 pin connector. So far so good.

I then noticed that the case had a front panel IEEE 1394A port but the GA-EP45-UD3LR does not have any IEEE 1394A headers. No support unless I purchased a PCI card with an internal connector. Well, even though I'm building this system for a friend and he probably will never use Firewire, I couldn't let that little 'ol IEEE 1394A cable live inside without some function!

I checked out the GA-EP45-UD3R and found that it had an internal IEEE 1394 header and more SATA headers for actually $5 less (after rebate) then I'd paid for the UD3LR board. Seems like problem solved right? RMAd the 1st board, ordered the new board and then of course discovered the difference in the atx_12v header - 8 pin versus 4 pin.

What are my options? Can the PS 4 pin connector be plugged into the 8 pin header? Do I need some kind of adaptor? Please don't tell me I need to upgrade the PS because that means I'm going over budget on the build. System will be used for light Office applications and internet use. No gaming, no overclocking, etc. RAID being used in RAID 1 configuration (guy is paranoid about losing data but too lazy to use a backup drive!).

Second question: Any advantage to using the Gigabyte RAID controller (2 GSata headers on the board for this purpose I think) instead of the Intel MSM SATA controller?

Sorry about the long winded post and TIA for any assistance.
    thread about atx_12v_2x4 8 pin link at http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ep45-ud3r-power-29116/

pg
    GA-EP45-UD3R REV 1.1 BIOS F11 (stay away F10F)
    New Intel Pentium E6500 9x500 FSB=4.5 GHz on air
    G
    .SKILL PI BLK 2x2GB DDR2 800 1.8-1.9v CL4 @5.5.5.15 500 MHZ
    MSI GTX 260 OC 620/1080/1296 (192 SP)
    PSU BFG TECH GS-550W (DUAL+12V RAILS 18A EACH.)
    Windows 7 64bit build 7600

Comment

No adapter required. And as per PowerGiga's link there appears to be a cover over half of the socket by default anyway. So plug in 4 pin plug 2x2 in the exposed half.

If you are Not using one of the "Extreme" Intel CPU's and opting say for one of the 45nm Cpu's such as the E8xxx series then the 2x2 (4pin) atx 12volt connector should be more than sufficient.
      GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

The link above gives you quite adequate information on power connections.

As to the SATA connections, if possible I'd stick with the yellow (Intel) connections.

Using the Gigabyte (purple) sockets can have unpleasant side-effects when combined with PATA devices.

Comment

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
          No adapter required. And as per PowerGiga's link there appears to be a cover over half of the socket by default anyway. So plug in 4 pin plug 2x2 in the exposed half.
          Thanks to all for the replies. Looks like I can run the 4 pin from the PS to 3/4/7/8 pins on the MB. I did run across a comment from a NewEgg customer review about this board (below) and wonder if anyone has any comments. I'll be using G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ on this system:
          If you want full functionality of this motherboard you must get the new design ATX power supplies with the 8pin EPS12V connector. Without it; you will not be able to get Dual Channel RAM to function. I started with an older style power supply with only the 4pin CPU power supply connector and everything worked except for Dual Channel RAM configuration. When you plug your RAM into Slots 1 and 3 for Dual Channel the motherboard will not POST. You must plug your RAM into Slots 1 and 2 in order to POST if you are using a 4pin CPU power supply connector. Once you plug in the 8pin EPS12V connector (available on new power supplies); then Dual Channel Mode will work and the motherboard will POST.
          If you are Not using one of the "Extreme" Intel CPU's and opting say for one of the 45nm Cpu's such as the E8xxx series then the 2x2 (4pin) atx 12volt connector should be more than sufficient.
          I'll be using this CPU:
          Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
          Last edited by highcountryrider; 12-19-2008, 10:38 PM. Reason: added information
          Silverstone TJ08B-E micro ATX case | ASRock Z77 Pro4-M micro ATX MB | Intel i5 3570K CPU | Samsung 830 256GB SATA 3 SSD | WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA 3 HDD | EVGA GTX 650 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 SDRAM | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Windows 7 HP 64-bit

Comment

I think that other quote is based on a Red Herring! As far as I know all those power pins are simply doubled up and not seperate in any way. Also i believe the memory supply is Not derived from the 12volt line.
            It sounds like that guy had a weak PSU causing all sorts of memory problems. It was the fact he replaced it and not that it had the new 8pin 12volt atx plug that he utilised that put things right.

You could get a rough idea of power requirements here....
            http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
            GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

If you want full functionality of this motherboard you must get the new design ATX power supplies with the 8pin EPS12V connector. Without it; you will not be able to get Dual Channel RAM to function. I started with an older style power supply with only the 4pin CPU power supply connector and everything worked except for Dual Channel RAM configuration. When you plug your RAM into Slots 1 and 3 for Dual Channel the motherboard will not POST. You must plug your RAM into Slots 1 and 2 in order to POST if you are using a 4pin CPU power supply connector. Once you plug in the 8pin EPS12V connector (available on new power supplies); then Dual Channel Mode will work and the motherboard will POST.
              My first "Power ON" same thing,continuous short beeps: Power error. POST my PC with only 1 stick of RAM.
              Solution is 4-pin to 8-pin ATX Cable Adapter.

Comment

I think that other quote is based on a Red Herring! As far as I know all those power pins are simply doubled up and not seperate in any way. Also i believe the memory supply is Not derived from the 12volt line.
                That's what the Gigabyte manual shows:

I've highlighted the pins that I should be connecting to. If this isn't right would appreciate correction.

It sounds like that guy had a weak PSU causing all sorts of memory problems. It was the fact he replaced it and not that it had the new 8pin 12volt atx plug that he utilised that put things right.

You could get a rough idea of power requirements here....
                eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5
                Thanks for the link. Antec's site had the same utility. My configuration looks like it'll be using about 275 - 290 w. The 430 should be more then sufficient.
                Last edited by highcountryrider; 12-20-2008, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X