EX58-extreme whines loudly and won't boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX58-extreme whines loudly and won't boot

I've paired a EX58-extreme with an Antec Neo HE550, 920 processor and three sticks of DDR3 2gb ram and an EVGA 9800 GT video card. I get a very loud whining sound when I power up - I assume the sound is coming from my power supply though it's really hard to tell. If I remove the video card and power-up it is silent and runs through a bunch of POST codes, ending in FF, which I think is normal behavior (no hd attached yet).

So I assumed the video was bad and replaced it with another, with the same whining sound again. Would the next guess be that my power supply is underpowered or bad? Any comments would be appreciated!

Re: EX58-extreme whines loudly and won't boot

Hmmm... could one of your case fan (or other) wires be hitting the spinning video card fan when you put everything back together?

Comment

No, actually when it is making the whining sound none of the fans spin. If I take the video card out they all spin normally.

Comment

I just noticed that I never shared the resolution of this problem. Sorry about that! It turned out to be the power supply whining because of overload. I upgraded to a Cooler Master 850 watt and now it works properly.

Comment

Great to hear you found the culprit!!! And thanks for posting back as well

Comment

Working...
          X