X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCI-Express width headaches

According to Everest:

Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3
    Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA770-DS3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX All Solid Capacitor AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Video Adapter XFX GeForce 8800 GT 256MB

PCI-E 2.0 x16 port #0
    In Use @ x8 (XFX GeForce 8800 GT 256MB Video Adapter)

PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #5
    In Use @ x1 (Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter)

My question is, with this motherboard and this card, shouldnt it be running at 16x ?

I've googled my ass of about this and tweaked countless things but I just ended up more confused. I don't even need to know how to fix it just yet, right I would just like to know if it SHOULD be running at 16x.

update

After changing the BIOS setting "PCIE_16 Gen2 SPEED MODE" from "DISABLED" to "AUTO"...

GPUZ is now reporting:

PCI-Express 2.0 x16 @ x8 2.0

Where before it was showing:

PCI-Express 2.0 x16 @ x8

Any thoughts?
    Attached Files

Re: PCI-Express width headaches

There have been some post with reference to 8800GT's and Rev 1.1 Pci-e motherboards only working at x1.
    However I've not seen the issue with a Pci-e 2.0 card and motherboard. Although 8x at Pci-e 2.0 is equivalent to 16x at Pci-e 1.0/1.1.

It's a while since I've had an AMD chipset, but as with back then I assume you have a driver package for the board setup itself? have you installed the latest version of that?
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Yes, I have tried a couple of versions of the chipset drivers. The latest ones from the website, and ones that originally came with my mobo. That hasn't made any difference, nor has trying different graphics drivers.

I'm interested in the difference between the two different things I've managed to make gpuz show, ie the difference between:

PCI-Express 2.0 x16 @ x8 2.0

PCI-Express 2.0 x16 @ x8

Can anyone shed some light on that?

Comment

Sorry, just realised I misread something in your post.

"Although 8x at Pci-e 2.0 is equivalent to 16x at Pci-e 1.0/1.1"

So that essentially means that if GPUZ is showing 8x at Pci-e 2.0, then there is nothing to worry about?

Comment

Working...
        X