Clear All

• Gigabyte EP45-DS4 and LED

Hello!

I have new computer:
    E6420
    EP45-DS4
    2GB memory
    HD4850

I was wondering if it is normal that there is red LED and 3 blue (on the bottom) turned on, when my computer is turned off.
    When is computer turned on all works good (for now)

Thanks, Ales

Re: Gigabyte EP45-DS4 and LED

Yes, the Small Red one by your Ram (Which should be green when your system is running) is the ACPI LED's. There is 4 of them for each ACPI State. You can disable those ones in the BIOS in Power Management ACPI LED Control

The Blue ones are buttons for Power, Reset, and Clear CMOS

If those are not the ones you mean feel free to post a image, but I think those are the ones you are asking about as I have a similar board EP45-DS4P

Comment

Thank you very much.

And yes, the blue are the buttons.

If i disable ACPI state, what can happen?

Sometimes, when computer is ON, there is also orange LED. What is this?

Comment

It is just the LED's you can disable so you would be fine. That is all that will affect, they just will not come on is all.

Orange LED? In the same spot, the ACPI area? If you look closely you can see the LED Labels. I am not sure if you mean that area or not, but if you do and you use Sleep S1 or S3 and that is when you mean it is on then that is why. I have not used either sleep state much to notice which color's the LED's for those are so I am not sure if that is what you mean or not.

There is several "States" To ACPI and a Different LED for each. Here is what each state means >>>

S0 or C0
        The system is turned on. The CPU is executing or ready to execute instructions, PCI activity is full, AGP activity is full. RAM is being read from, written to or refreshed. Hard disks are on.

S1 "Power On Suspend/Stopgrant" MS: Standby
        The system is turned on. The CPU is not executing and is not ready to execute instructions, although registers and caches are maintained. Devices signalling support for S1 are in the on state, devices without support for S1 are in the off state. RAM is idle, but refreshed. Any device currently in S1 with support for resuming may resume the system (WOL, WOR, keyboard, mouse, timer, etc.). PSU state is on. Hard disks are off in this state and all states deeper.

S2 "Standby"
        Confusing "common" names. S2 is quite logically an intermediate between S1 and S3. RAM refreshes normally. The CPU is in state much like S3. In fact, this is pretty much S3 but with a faster RAM refresh.
        S2 is in the spec, but not usually implemented.

S3 "Suspend to RAM" MS: Standby (if notified by BIOS)
        S3 often needs enabling by jumper on the motherboard or by support in BIOS. The CPU is not executing instructions, is not ready to execute instructions, does not maintain its registers and does not maintain cache. The OS must flush dirty pages from the cache when S3 is entered. Devices able to support S3 and are enabled for resuming, may resume the system. PSU state is off, system RAM is refreshed (at reduced refresh) using 5Vsb. External peripherals (keyboard, mouse) may or may not be able to resume the system, depending on what their host controller does.

S4 "Suspend to disk" MS: Hibernate
        All hardware is in the off state and maintains no context. The system may only be resumed by timer or other hardware resume devices (such as WOL or WOR), but not by interrupts. The contents of RAM are saved to disk and replaced on resume. The PSU is in the off state. Power may be mechanically removed without ill effect.
        Note: S4BIOS is a variation of S4 wherein the BIOS reloads the image and not the OS boot loader. As NTLDR is S4 compatible, this is generally used with other OS'. Linux S4BIOS support is "experimental". Note also that using Windows2000 or XP with grub or lilo WILL break S4 support.

S5 "Soft-Off" MS: Hibernate
        All hardware is in the off state and maintains no context. CMOS is maintained by 5Vsb, as in S4. The PSU is in off state. Power may be mechanically removed without ill effect.
        Summary of ACPI System Level (Sx) states - Topic Powered by Eve For Enterprise

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your Phase LED's are a different story all together though, and change color and intensity with the system power phase usage if you have EIST and C1E enabled and the DES software installed and enabled. These you see at bootup time no matter what
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-18-2008, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X