GA-EP45-DS3L causing system lock-ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-DS3L causing system lock-ups

I'm putting together a new system and am getting random system lock-ups, sometimes in BIOS, but usually 30 seconds or so after booting Windows XP. My system specs are listed below:

GA-EP45-DS3L with newest BIOS
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
    Corsair XMS2 2x2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    HIS Radeon 4870 512MB
    Coolmaster 650W power supply
    Windows XP SP3

I managed to get Windows XP installed (after 1 or 2 tries) and have since been treated to my system freezing up shortly after booting. Memtest86 will lock up on step 3 every time with one or both memory sticks in any slot combination. BIOS will lock up if I play with any of the memory settings. I've been wrestling with this for a week and I'm really at wits end. If I can't get this fixed up in another dy or so, I'm probably going to suck it up and buy another motherboard.

EDIT: I fixed the problem. Dropping MCH core voltage to 1.05V allowed a single RAM stick to pass Memtest and further reducing to 0.95V has allowed me to run the system with dual channel RAM reliably.
    Last edited by FTB; 12-17-2008, 11:08 PM.

Re: GA-EP45-DS3L causing system lock-ups

Maybe faulty ram modules. Can you borrow one or two to try? Or even just buy a couple more and return them if they don't help.

Comment

I tested my RAM in another computer and it passed with flying colors. I've read the GA-EP45-DS3L is very picky about what RAM it works with, but I don't know what to alter in BIOS to fix the problem. I've seen someone with the exact same set-up as mine, so I know it's possible.

Comment

Also, if RAM compatability really is the issue, what reliable RAM could I replace mine with to ensure smooth sailing?

Comment

Would you mind posting your complete memory timing settings?

Comment

Working...
          X