No announcement yet.

Starting to build a UD3P + E8500 (first build, kinda)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting to build a UD3P + E8500 (first build, kinda)

I've read as much information as possible in terms of figuring out what components to get for my complete build and decided on the following parts. Put in the orders last night. Should be getting everything by this weekend.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    Intel E8500 w/ Xigmatek HDT-S1283 Fan/Heat sink (+retention bracket)
    OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
    Western Digital Black 640GB SATA WD6401AALS (x2)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB

Antec P180 Mid Tower
    Antec TP3 650w PSU

Just trying to get as much preliminary information as possible so whatever information you have in terms of putting all these parts together and pressing the power button, that would be great. I haven't built a computer in 6 years or so (last build was a Asus P4C800-E with a P4 2.8Ghz everything at stock speeds). I don't have too much experience in OC'ing but I'm willing to learn.

Thanks again for all the help...I appreciate it if you can help out a newbie. =)

Chris

Re: Starting to build a UD3P + E8500 (first build, kinda)

I'm still investigating this, but severl people at NewEgg and other sites are reporting that Nvidia 260 cards don't fit properly on that MOBO. A member of a gaming forum I visit reported similar problems:

EXAMPLES:

Cons: The primary PCI-E slot (light blue) has a different lock than the second PCI-E slot (light orange) and will not allow a GTX260 or GTX280 card to lock in. The plastic thumb tab on the primary slot (light blue) hits the top of the video cards cover and prevents it from fully locking.

Cons: Blue heat sink is annoying sometimes, cuz of third party cpu cooler. Limited the space. Few 3 pin connectors are in bad position. If you have a big graphic card like GTX 260, the card will block those connectors. Theres no way you can install another GTX 260 because the 2nd PCI-E X8 is in between 2 PCI slots. These 2 PCI slots are higher than the PCI-2 X8 therefore if you try to install 2nd GTX 260 the card would not go all the way down. Even if it would go all the way down, the Graphic card would block the pins for the power switch and the front port usb pins on the mb. Other than that, this MB is pretty awesome for this price.

I'd also recommend Corsair Dominator over OCZ Reaper, as OCZ is slightly more tempermental. Both are good brands, however.
    Last edited by Dante Rising; 12-15-2008, 03:37 PM.

Comment

I just put a similar system together with the same UD3P board, E8500, Xigmatek S1283, G.Skill 4GB 1066, and WD SATA 640GB. Everything went together perfectly and loaded up Vista64 without a problem. I can't comment on fitting a GTX 260, but my 9800GTX+ fit fine. And I'm not sure why it would be a concern that a second GTX 260 won't fit when this board is not for SLI anyway.

Comment

I'm not too sure if I like Vista. I guess I can always dual boot. Anyone run this with WinXP32?

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Dante Rising View Post
          I'm still investigating this, but severl people at NewEgg and other sites are reporting that Nvidia 260 cards don't fit properly on that MOBO.
          Ugh, please don't say that. I just ordered almost the exact same parts as kreuki this morning. The very idea of the 260GTX not fitting into a ud3p mobo gives me cold chills.

Also Kreuki, I'm in the same boat as you. My last build was an AMD 3200+ processor with an Msi Neo4 mobo... so I've no experience with the latest technology. However, I downloaded the ud3p's manual and I found it to be very helpful. They include lots of pictures and explain things in plain english. I remember the MSI manual reading like the dead sea scrolls.

Comment

Hmm, I have not heard of this issue with the card/board combo. IN fact I went a read the reviews at newegg and several people say that card fits just fine. And yes 2 Nvidia cards would work in this board just not in SLI mode so that would be a waste anyway

I can for sure say this about your build though kreukishot, you have 4B of ram you want to use and almost 1GB of GFX ram....... So you are only going to have about 2.75-3GB of ram available to your windows system if you use XP 32bit

Less thermal paste is more, and be sure you connect the ATX 12V 4/8pin connector

If you do need help with things once you get built let me know, I can for sure help
            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-16-2008, 04:38 AM.

Comment

I didn't think the 260 would have trouble fitting in here. I too read some reviews and they didn't mention anything about the 260 not fitting. I guess we'll see when it comes.
              Anyways, I think I'll be ok putting all the hardware together. Connecting hardware hasn't changed since 6 years ago has it? ha...but yea. Should I be going into the BIOS to adjust any settings? I've made myself a bootable USB in order to flash my bios (if I need to) and I've also put the memtest files on the boot drive. Should I be testing each slot with each memory module (and with what settings?)? I've been reading from a bunch of threads so all my information is fragmented.

Please bear with me =\. I've read a bunch of threads but as of now, those motherboard settings mean nothing to me (since I don't have it in front of me as of yet).

Just trying to prepare and learn as best I can before all the parts come in so the build process can go as smooth as possible. (I only have a few days too so hopefully nothing goes wrong and I don't have to RMA anything...I'm going out of town for a week after Christmas and then arriving 1 day before I got to go back to school.)

Thanks for the help
              Chris

Comment

I just put together my first ever build about a week ago using the UD3P and an evga gtx260 and there were no problems with the card fitting.

Actually the whole build went shockingly well, thanks in large part to this forum.

Comment

alright, received all parts, starting the build today...anyone can suggest initial settings for the bios?

Thanks!

Comment

start with optmized values in bios. and see if everything works fine. boot, drives, and report back and you can start think do some overclock.
                    Intel I5 4690K 4.2GHZ
                    Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
                    2x8GB gSkill DDR3 1600Mhz
                    1x SSD Sandisk Extreme II 240GB
                    1x Seagate 1000GB (DATA)
                    1x Samsung 750GB (DATA)
                    MSI Geforce GTX 960 2GB
                    Phanteks
                    Seaconic Modular 620W
                    Aerocool Dead Silence
                    Windows 7 64bits

Comment