GA-EP45-UD3P Stall Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3P Stall Problem

I recently built a new system with this motherboard, an E8400 Duo Core CPU, a WD 300gb Velociraptor, 4gb G-Skill ram (2 X 2gb), a Samsung SH-S223 DVD burner and an ATI 4830 video card. Flashed bios to F5. Installed XP Pro and updated with all service packs and updates including Windows Media PLayer 11 . Updated all drivers from Gigabyte page.

Here is the problem. I installed the Napster software. When I exit the software it locks my system for a minute or so. The mouse moves, but I can't click on anything. The mouse moves in a "stuttery " fashion at times during this. I cannot even bring up task manager with ctrl-alt-del. I spent hours on the phone with Napster suport and tried everything they suggested. This exact version of Napster works perfectly on my other computer with the exact same installation of XP Pro.

My brother built a system a few months ago with a Gigabyte X38 motherboard. He said he was having the same exact issues with the temporary freeze up on his system, but could not duplicate it on command. After speaking to me he downloaded the Napster software and he has exactly the same result as me. What I am saying here is that he has it happen on non-Napster software as well. He also has an E8400 CPU.

I tried intalling XP on a non-10,000 rpm hard drive with the same result. I tried running the software before doing any windows updates - same result. I ran Memtest86+ and Orthos Stress Prime with no errors. I tried making the bios changes that you all have suggested with the exception of the ram settings. I tried removing one stick of ram to see if that would work.

I am coming to you gurus of Gigabyte bios to ask if there is any way this is bios related. I have spent literally days researching this both here and on the internet in general. Any suggestions will be truly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

Re: GA-EP45-UD3P Stall Problem

In my experience with these kinds of issues it always turns out to be the software. This version of Napster you're using is most likely the culprit. Try using an older version or two of Napster to see if it works better than the one you're using now.

Good luck
    -=Mark=-
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

Comment

I was totally convinced it was the Napster software as well until my brother reported the same problems with other software. Plus I have the same version of Napster on another computer with XP Pro. Is it still possible that it is a software problem and not a driver or bios problem??

Comment

Did you try using previous versions of Napster to see if the problems persist? If so, what results/errors did you get?

Also, you say your brother has other issues, but we need to know if you're having other issues and what exactly they are.

We have to take this one problem at a time and since you only seem to have problems with Napster and nothing else, we have to assume Napster is the issue until proven otherwise.

Also, did Napster work for a while and the lockups started recently? Maybe after an update? even a windows update can mess things up.

Let us know your progress.
        -=Mark=-
        ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

Comment

You really cannot compare your one pc with the other as it is very unlikely that they have all the exact same drivers on them for everything, and that could be what is in conflict here.

So you do have Intel Chipset drivers installed then right?

What type of mouse do you have on this machine? And the other?

And what do you have set in the BIOS per Mice and USB settings?

Have you tried to Disable Legacy USB Storage Detect? This causes many random errors

What settings do you have set in Integrated peripherals and what ports, # and Color, do you have your hard drives connected to?

Comment

Thanks for your replies and suggestions Mark and Lsdmeasap. Here are my responses to your questions:

I have not tried a version of Napster other than the newest one. Their site only has the newest one and the only others I can find are REALLY old and would not be relevant.

I do have Intel Chipset drivers installed - 9.1.0.1007 which I got from the Gigabyte's site.

I have a Microsoft Optical USB mouse which I am moving between both machines.

In bios I have:
            Integrated Peripherals Menu

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode <disabled>(Disabled)
            SATA Port0-3 Native Mode (Enabled)<enabled>
            USB Controller (Enabled)<enabled>
            USB 2.0 Controller (Enabled)<enabled>
            USB Keyboard Support <enabled> (Enabled) (tried it disabled too)
            USB Mouse Support (Enabled)<enabled>
            Legacy USB Storage Detect <disabled> (was Enabled, set it to Disabled)
            Azalia Codec (Auto)<auto>
            Onboard H/W 1394 (Enabled)<enabled>
            Onboard H/W LAN1 <enabled>(Enabled)
            Onboard H/W LAN2 (Disabled)<disabled>
            Green LAN (Disabled)<disabled>
            Onboard LAN1 Boot ROM (Disabled)<disabled>
            Onboard SATA/IDE Device (Enabled)<enabled>
            Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (IDE)<ide>
            Onboard Serial Port 1 (Disabled)<disabled>
            Onboard Parallel Port (Disabled)<disabled>

My hard drives are connected to the Orange SATA ports - Channel 0 Master and Channel 1 Slave. My DVD burner is attached to Orange SATA port Channel 0 Slave. The problems I am having started before I installed the second hard drive and continue with it installed.

Thanks again for your assistance!!</disabled></disabled></ide></enabled></disabled></disabled></disabled></enabled></enabled></auto></disabled></enabled></enabled></enabled></enabled></enabled></disabled>

Comment

Not sure what else to try. Mybe run some stress programs to see how stable the system is?

Try Mem Set to test memory in windows:
              MemTest for Windows Download Page

and test the CPU with OCCT:
              Download - OCCT Website english

Let Mem Test run for at least 3 passes. It will be show up as 300% or greater on the program for 3 passes.

Set OCCT for at least 1hr pass.

Then report back of any errors.
              -=Mark=-

Comment

What Physical #'s are printed where you are installing these drives on your board, not what you see in the standard CMOS is what I wanted to know.

You should put your Hard drives at port 0 (The first one), and plug your DVD drive into one of the last 2 orange port (5 or 6)

If you are not using IDE drives then you can disable these, unless you have something connected to the purple ports you have not mentioned >>
                Onboard SATA/IDE Device (Enabled) << Disable if you are not using IDE (Ribbon Cable) or Purple ports

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (xxx)

Comment

I have everything plugged everything into the orange sata ports. I now have my boot drive plugged into sata port 0. My secondary hard drive is plugged into sata port 2. My DVD optical drive is now plugged into sata port 5.

I disabled the Onboard SATA/IDE Device since I have no IDE devices as per your instructions.

I downlaoded and ran the memory test and CPU test software as suggested by Mark. Neither one returned any errors. I did try loading the Napster software during the memory test. I had two instances of the memory test running. When I exited Napster, I lost control of the machine as usual. Both instances of the memory test also paused. After a minute I regained control of the computer and the memtests picked up right were they left off without reporting any memory errors.

Unless you have any other suggestions, I am going to give up on this and start installing all my other software. If this follows the same path as my brother's machine, I should start getting the stalls at random times while using other software.

Thanks so much for your help - this is a great forum. I have learned a ton from all your posts!!
                  Rick

Comment

well, I have one minor suggestion. I'd try reinstalling windows and install napster immediately and see if it works. Then install all other drivers/updates one at a time and see if it crashes.

I just bought an x58 Extreme board and only loaded basic OC software after installing updates/drrivers. I notice my core temps are running real high, I get anothger temp monitoring program and it iss really low, and yet another and get mid temps. I decide to try Gigabyte's EasyTune 6 and see what it reports. I get an AppCrash error on install. I try a dozen different methods of install with no luck. I figure SP2 beta must be the problem. I reinstall windows and install Easytune 6 first off and it works great. I then install all updates/drivers and misc OC programs and still works without a hitch.

I've had this happen countless times with varying errors. Windows can be very flakey at times and sometimes just needs a reinstall eeven on a very recent install. It's probably a long shot. but it can save a lot of headaches if it works.

-=Mark=-

Comment

Working...
                    X