ga-ep45-ud3p in new build, newbie question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ga-ep45-ud3p in new build, newbie question

Hello everyone, I’ve been reading posts on this board for a while now, and I’ve been impressed with the helpfulness and knowledge of the replies. I’ve learned a lot from other people’s questions. I’m very glad I stumbled across this forum in my parts research earlier this year.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    But, of course, I still have a question of my own. J<o:p></o:p>
    Below are my system specs:<o:p></o:p>
    GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard (will be using onboard sound, not a discrete card)<o:p></o:p>
    VGA Sapphire Radeon HD4850 512MB video card<o:p></o:p>
    Intel Q8200 processor (with stock heat sink)<o:p></o:p>
    8 gig (4x2GB) Mushkin model 996580 DDR2 800 (PC2 6200) ram (timing 4-4-4-12, Voltage 2.0V - 2.1V)<o:p></o:p>
    2 Samsung 22x DVD burners (model SH-S223F)<o:p></o:p>
    2 Western Digital 640GB hard drives (model WD6401AALS) – no raid<o:p></o:p>
    Corsair 750 watt PSU (750TX)<o:p></o:p>
    Cooler Master 690 case<o:p></o:p>
    Windows Vista 64bit (not yet installed as of this post)<o:p></o:p>
    I don't intend to overclock, I just want to get it running. I've got all the hardware installed, but wanted to know: Is there anything I need to do/know before I power it up for the first time?<o:p></o:p>
    Should I just leave the bios alone and wait for a problem, or do I need to flash to a new one straight away?<o:p></o:p>
    I asked about RAM before I made my purchases and was given some advice and also some bios adjustments in this post here, http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-ep45-ud3p-mushkin-ram-question-28656/ After re-reading it, I see that I should remove some of the RAM before going into the bios. Ah well, I got carried away just getting the stuff all installed inside the case.<o:p></o:p>
    Should I change the settings given for the RAM and just leave everything else alone to start with? Then come back here if I have a specific problem? Or are there other things I should change straight away, just to get it working properly? Or should I just have the bios “load optimized defaults,” then make the adjustments to the RAM settings and leave everything else alone?<o:p></o:p>
    Again, I don’t want to overclock, and I know I don’t have the best processor for attempting it anyway, I just want it to all run and all play nicely together at stock speeds.<o:p></o:p>
    I guess I’m just afraid that, well, something will screw up and I won’t know where to start. Or worse, that it’ll screw up and I won’t really know about it because it’s so different that my previous PCs that I won’t recognize the problem. For instance, could I tell if it’s just running a bit slowly, when I only have older, slower, computers to compare against?<o:p></o:p>
    Oh, and if this is something I have to figure out for myself, or it’s already been answered, please just point me the right direction. I have tried to read through the stickies, and search for answers, but either I don’t know what to look for or it’s one of those things that “everybody knows.” I'm sorry if I'm wasting people's time, I just don't know what to look for.
    Thank you for any advice, help, or tips anyone may have.
    Linda

Re: ga-ep45-ud3p in new build, newbie question

8GB especially aswell as 4GB of Ram often need some tweaking in the bios to provide stability to the system.
    However as bios versions mature, it's very possible that the amount of tweaking required becomes reduced.
    Personally I would start it up at default and see how it goes. You'll ideally need to run MemTest to see if there are any problems and once you get Vista installed you'll find it's inbuilt Memory Diagnostic is good too.

Vista also uses ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomization), so as part of a security feature, it places your running applications somewhere different everytime you boot up. In reality that means that in the past, with older Windows versions, memory address ranges may have rarely or not even been used, effectively masking some memory problems. Vista though doesn't give us that "luxury" and all installed memory needs to be working 100%.

Settings that you may need to change in the bios:-

1) Performance Enhance = Standard
    2) tRFC = 70
    3) Main timings to 5-5-5-18
    4) DDR2 voltage to 2.0volts

You'll need to take the Advanced memory options out of their Global Auto mode, set the main memory timings manually and set tRFC in the advanced section manually and select auto Individually for all those remaining settings in the memory advanced section.

Once Windows is installed, it is a good idea to install MemSet. Because the bios is still (in the scenario above) setting some of the values automatically (and it's on a sliding scale), MemSet not only allows you to change settings on the fly whilst in windows, but reports what the current settings actually are. It's useful to take a note of that information as if you have the odd PC glitch after all is mainly stable, you can identify/experiment in relaxing the odd setting, such as tRD.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 12-13-2008, 07:07 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Re: ga-ep45-ud3p in new build, newbie question

Please do let me know if you would like some help, those settings I gave you that you linked would be optimal. If you would like a FULL Set of suggested settings let me know and I can give them to you

Comment

Working...
      X