Overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating

Recently i was having problems with my computer overheating and shutting down. so i brought in the experts and they just said that my fan was loose and the heat sink wasn't close enough. so it was reattached and was working fine for 20+ hours.

earlier yesterday i started it up and it worked fine for 2 hours then lost power just like earlier when it overheated. i shut it all down and unplugged it and checked the temp on the cpu. seemed atleast 40-50 celcius. the fan had become loose again, so i reattached it. and now it won't startup at all. the little light on the motherboard comes on for about 1/2 a second then goes back off and then nothing. has my cpu just burnt out? is there anything else i need to search for? does a cpus warranty cover the fan being dodgy? when its the same fan that came with the cpu

thanks for the help in advance

Re: Overheating

What CPU is it? And what board?

Intel warranty does cover the fan being faulty, not sure about improper install of the fan though?
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-15-2008, 02:55 AM.

Comment

The motherboard is a gigabyte ga-ep35-ds3r and the cpu is a intel core 2 duo e4700.

well no matter how i position the fan it won't remain stuck in through a slight shift in the computer. (by stuck in i mean close enough that it won't overheat) And i'm pretty sure computers are supposed to be able to be moved 1 foot at a reasonable speed without falling to peices when properly constructed, so a loose fan could be considered faulty.

Warranty is the least of my concern at the moment though. I just want to get this thing working.

Honestly out of all the computers in my house that fan has to be of the worst design. and my computers the newest.

Comment

It is almost difficult to do any opinion on your matter without any picture.
        Usually any Intel Core Duo stock fan/heat-sinks are a little trickly but not impossible to mount. Did you got the booklet show how to attach the fan and how to install correctly the CPU?
        GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
        i5-4690K + Corsair H90
        Sapphire Radeon R7 240
        16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
        Corsair CX750M
        Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

Right, they are hard to push in but should properly fit and stay installed tight on any board. You may want to think about buying a better cooler anyway as the stock one is rubbish

Comment

@ svcglobal. yeah i'm sure it was in properly.

Guess i'll hope for a warranty repair/replacement, and i think i'll go buy a new fan as you suggest.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Good luck, ya those stock fans are terrible for anything other then stock. And that can be bad even if you can't get them to snap in, which it sounds like may be the issue here

Comment

Working...
              X