Noise when DES/C2E is on, UD3P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise when DES/C2E is on, UD3P

Hey I have read about issues with other people videocards ect.. before where they would make a high pitched noise. Well my board makes an annoying noise when I have the DES/C2E enabled. You know the 6 lights on the board, well this noise corresponds with the 2nd green led. So currently that is the light/phase that is on at idle on my computer and this noise is driving me crazy. If I open a program it will throttle up a little and then the sound goes away for a second or I get like a fast beeping sound when its throttling and the lights are switching.

Any help? Should I RMA it?? Darn already sent in the rebate,lol
    Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 12-12-2008, 10:13 PM.
    New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Re: Noise when DES/C2E is on, UD3P

You can still RMA the board to Gigabyte, All the have you do is send in the board by model # and Serial # rebate would not matter

I would as it sounds faulty.

Or just disable C1E, EIST, and C2/C2E/C4/C4E

Then you would only hear the sounds at bootup

Comment

Well after some testing of different settings/bios I have found what the issue is.

The factory non beta bios's(F4/F5) according to what it says on Gigabyte's site

With support for VRD 11.1, GIGABYTE’s DES Advanced allows the motherboard to switch to 1 Gear phase switching during idle, allowing for a dramatic increase in power savings.
      and
      The 6-Gear feature may vary by model. Gear 1 phase switching requires 45nm processors with PSI signal enabled
      Well they do Not!, they only go down to 2 Phases of power, C4E AFAIK is the "VRD 11.1" which is a even lower power state. Then they also will not down volt the CPU to .9V when you change the FSB/CPU clock speed. If you leave the CPU stock then you get 3 boxes("1","2", "3") in DES if you change the Vcore or CPU clock then you get no boxes(same on all BIOS's), either way the boxes dont seem to do anything from what I see. I dont see much either from C2E/C4E on either bios either, If I disable them or enable them in any of the current bios's it doesn't change anything as far as voltages or phases go.

Now the Beta bios's(F6a/F7a) they do go down to use 1 Phase power this is with C1E/C2E/C4E all turned off, so only EIST is on. Also they will do this when you overclock the CPU and go down to .9v as long as you keep the Vcore on "Normal" if you change to "Auto" it will still work but since your OC'd it will raise the Vcore instead of keeping it at the stock Vcore like "Normal" does. The BIG problem is that this board Screams when only running on 1 Phase, like its too much power being drawn for just 1 phase.

Still working on this to see what may work best. Basically If I can find a setting to keep the 2phases of power on so the noise goes away but still get the Vcore to drop to .9v then I will be happy as that's what it should do by default. I may just have to go back and use RMclock to undervolt the CPU, if that will work and use a factory bios to keep the 2nd phase power on. I think Gigabyte should take notes from RMclock as you can adjust the voltages at each multi.

So for now I have went back to the F5 bios to keep 2 phases on under low power as the F4 would not even boot with 425x9 settings.
      Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 12-15-2008, 07:20 PM.
      New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

Comment

Hmm, well that sounds like they are aware of the issue and trying to fix it. Is that what you gather since the new beta's are working correctly for the most part

Comment

I'm not sure as I have no idea who wrote the "beta" bios's, it's prob someone thats not even Gigabyte?

Anyway I tried RMclock after getting the unsigned driver to work, lol.

It will only let me go down to 1.1v which is basically what DES does, so that didnt help.

Comment

All Beta's you find are Gigabyte Beta's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
              All Beta's you find are Gigabyte Beta's for sure.
              Ok good to know, I know w/ other boards individuals would make some changes and have beta bios's, wasnt sure on these Gigabytes.

Anyway I'm pretty sure that this noise is coming from the chokes as I hear the noise right by the LED's under the memory and also on the other side of the CPU by the MOSFET, I see 2 chokes in each location.

I have tried the new F6 bios and the new ET6 and DES, it goes down to single phase power like it should but then the noise comes like previously.

Also it is louder when DES is on but I can still hear it if I listen closely w/ the DES off and the side of the case off.

I also noticed a couple times where it would seem to correspond w/ the flash of the LAN activity light(and be louder), but then goes away, very strange.

Either way I have contacted Gigabyte about a RMA so we shall see
              Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 12-21-2008, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X