Movin' on UP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movin' on UP!

I've been an ABIT man up to now. But times change, and when I toasted (literally) my IP35 Pro mobo the other day (my trouble-and-strife plugged a large heater into the same circuit as my main PC), I decided to upgrade to a company that's STILL IN BUSINESS!

I need your suggestions, though, as I want to port over all my equipment and HDD's without, I pray, having to reinstall the OS. And (here's the REAL trick) put my boot-up HDD onto the onboard RAID of the new mobo, so my 2nd HDD (same make and model) can mirror it (RAID 1).

The mobo I'm about to get is a GA-EP45-UD3R, which every post I've read says is superfab - except for those that got one DOA on newegg, that is.

My little list of gear:
    • Q6600 CPU
    • stock CPU fan
    • Rosewill RD400-2DB PSU (yes, it has the 8-pin EPS)
    • 2 X 2 GB Corsair XMS2 (DDR2) 800mhz 5-5-5-18
    • Radeon X1650 PCIE 512MB graphics card
    • 2 - 500 GB Western Digital SATA HDD's
    • 2 - IDE HDD's, 1 - FDD, 1 - SATA DVD-ROM

As far as I know, I hook everything up, boot up and adjust the BIOS, then load the new mobo drivers. Basically. I've read lots of posts here and I know to put my 2 sticks of RAM in slots 1 & 2 (it's 1.8V Ram, which this mobo is designed for anyway). When I load up the mobo drivers, THEN I get the chance to deal with the RAID possibility.

Right?

Re: Movin' on UP!

You may get away with doing the switch like you mention, but I have only saw comments from users doing that with same model boards... So you may have issues.

You won't howver be able to do your mirroring thoughts the way you wanted, only a Hardware card and having a third drive would allow that. To create a RAID Array when you select the two disks to create the ALL Data will be wiped from them right then. So you would need a third drive and some programs to do what you want, Like Acronis or Ghost.

Your best bet is to either wait until you get a third drive (So you will have 2 blanks to create a array) and mirror with a program to those disks. Or backup your important data somewhere else in your house and then do a clean install onto a blank Array

Comment

Thanks, Lsd. Wouldn't this be a "mirror repair" if all the data is still on one disk but needs to be mirrored to the new disk?

Or is there some reason that wouldn't work?

Comment

YES!!! My bad man, sorry I missed you said RAID 1

That should work provided you get the board brand transfer to go over ok....

BUT, dont quote me on that as I do not have so much experience with RAID 1 and you may only be able to do that with a disk from a RAID 1 setup from the RAID BIOS, a program may still be needed otherwise?

Comment

Working...
        X