UD3P build, no BIOS screen but lights on MB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UD3P build, no BIOS screen but lights on MB

I bought two of everything below because I'm building PCs for my brother and step-dad at the same time. Here are the components:

EP45-UD3P motherboard
    2 sticks of 2GB Corsair DDR2 800 memory (XMS2 CM2X2048-6400C5)
    eVGA e-GeForce 8600 GTS PCI-E graphics card
    Thermaltake TR2-430W power supply
    Pentium Dual Core E5200

Put together the first computer with the bare minimum of connections, power supply to logic board (all 24 pins), power supply to video card, CPU fan to logic board and power switch to logic board, and one stick of RAM. The logic board lights up but nothing out of the video card, nothing at all. Just black, no BIOS screen, nothing. The monitor eventually goes to sleep. Tried two different monitors and still nothing. Tried both the 16x and 8x PCI-E slots. Tried different RAM sticks in different slots.

Built the second computer with identical components and the same results. Bummer.

The first thing I would try is to try different RAM (from a different manufacturer) and video card to see if either are incompatible with the motherboard for some reason. I don't have either handy though. I'm wondering if I'm missing something really basic.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Re: UD3P build, no BIOS screen but lights on MB

you plugged in the 8pin connector correct?

also try 1 stick of memory in the 1st slot closest to the cpu.
    New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedEuphoria View Post
      you plugged in the 8pin connector correct?

also try 1 stick of memory in the 1st slot closest to the cpu.
      The 8 pin connector on the edge of the board near the CPU? I couldn't find a power connector from the power supply for it. I read that it is only required for higher power CPUs like the Core 2 Extreme series?

I've been looking around online trying to find a power supply that has a "8 pin ATX 12V" connector as specified on the Gigabyte website but can't seem to find any. Am I missing something?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaurus View Post
        The 8 pin connector on the edge of the board near the CPU? I couldn't find a power connector from the power supply for it. I read that it is only required for higher power CPUs like the Core 2 Extreme series?

I've been looking around online trying to find a power supply that has a "8 pin ATX 12V" connector as specified on the Gigabyte website but can't seem to find any. Am I missing something?

Thanks again.
        check it out this thread at http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ep45-ud3r-power-29116/

Mine PSU link at Newegg.com - BFG Tech GS-550 550W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.8 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Power Supplies

You can find PSU such as Newegg at Newegg.com - Power Supply, Computer Power Supply, Uninterruptible Power Supply, DC Power Supply, PC Power Supply, ATX Power Supply

pg
        GA-EP45-UD3R REV 1.1 BIOS F11 (stay away F10F)
        New Intel Pentium E6500 9x500 FSB=4.5 GHz on air
        G
        .SKILL PI BLK 2x2GB DDR2 800 1.8-1.9v CL4 @5.5.5.15 500 MHZ
        MSI GTX 260 OC 620/1080/1296 (192 SP)
        PSU BFG TECH GS-550W (DUAL+12V RAILS 18A EACH.)
        Windows 7 64bit build 7600

Comment

The rigs are up and running now. The power supply has the typical 4 pin CPU supply, and that fits in only part of the 8 pin on the logic board. Popped it on and boom, up and running! I'm running a fairly low power CPU so I think it should be good running off the 4 pin supply. We'll have to see what happens if my brother decides to over clock though.

Comment

Yes, 4pin can be used for sure! Just keep in mind 8pin would be better, but with the parts you have those machines should be fine with 4pin!

Glad to see you got it fixed up, sorry for my late reply to this!

Comment

Working...
            X