GA-EP45-UD3R slow to power down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3R slow to power down

I built a new system with this board (F3 BIOS) and everything works fine, but the system takes a long time to power down. As in, after shutting down windows the system is still getting power for another minute before it shuts down. Has anyone else had this experience with this board or is a different component the likely cause? Is such behavior a reason for concern?

Re: GA-EP45-UD3R slow to power down

You don't say what windows Version you are using. However, windows always writes any outstanding writes to disk, as you shut down or in the case of Vista, finish up (to a point) any outstanding process.

What you could do though is check your hard drives with Checkdisk and maybe even defrag your drive too.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

I'm using Vista 64. The system logs out and shuts down windows and I hear what I believe is the hard drives powering down, yet the system is still getting power and the fans are spinning.

I have already run Checkdisk. One of the two hard drives is older (not the ones the OS is installed on) and it had bad sectors. Could it be causing this behavior?

Comment

Originally posted by guy_man_dude View Post
        I'm using Vista 64. The system logs out and shuts down windows and I hear what I believe is the hard drives powering down, yet the system is still getting power and the fans are spinning.
        If you are actually hearing the hard drives park their heads and then power down, how long does the system remain active after that? has the Monitor gone blank?

I have already run Checkdisk. One of the two hard drives is older (not the ones the OS is installed on) and it had bad sectors. Could it be causing this behavior?
        When you say "bad sectors", what is their status? Did windows find them and then fix them? If they are not fixable by the OS, then they will be marked as bad by the OS and not used.
        The question is, is the system causing disk errors, or is the disk causing the system to error, or none of the above.

What make is the drive? have you run the Hard drive manufacturer tools?
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

If you have Automatic Upates turned on this will happen as it installs updates before shutdown sometimes. The next start-up will be slow as well.

I just refuse to shut my computer down to avoid these issues ;) 24/7 is the way to go!

Comment

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
            If you are actually hearing the hard drives park their heads and then power down, how long does the system remain active after that? has the Monitor gone blank?

When you say "bad sectors", what is their status? Did windows find them and then fix them? If they are not fixable by the OS, then they will be marked as bad by the OS and not used.
            The question is, is the system causing disk errors, or is the disk causing the system to error, or none of the above.

What make is the drive? have you run the Hard drive manufacturer tools?
            The monitor has gone black and I hear the hard drives power down, but the system remains active for about a minute.

The old drive came in with errors on it (it was the OS drive for an old system that was having issues) and checkdisk found and fixed them. It is only being used to backup files, not save anything critical.

Comment

Have you got one of the power supplies, such as some of the Enermax models, where after the system is shutdown, power to some of the peripheral connectors remains up, so that the case etc and power supply can be cooled down?

Comment

I have the CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Comment

Vista does often shut down slow, especially compared to XP. Is this your first Vista experiance?

Comment

I've been running Vista 64 on another system with the P35-DS3R for 16 months. I've had it shut down slow occasionally, but it always sounds like the hard drives, fans, etc all shut down at the same time. This new system always shuts down slow.

I'll try turning off automatic updates and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

Hmm, maybe you have a faulty drive? Have you ran checkdisk? If not, do this >>>

Window Key + R

Type >> CMD

In the command windows type this >>>
                      Code:
                      chkdsk /x /r
                      What settings are you using in Integrated peripherals and what Ports do you have the disks plugged into? Color and Number please

Comment

Working...
                      X