EX58-UD5 Shutdown & Booting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EX58-UD5 Shutdown & Booting issue

Well, this is ongoing. After I got back from work last night, the comp was locked up from within Vista. It did the double boot thing again.

I read on another forum that HPET should be enabled to keep the voltage stable for the cpu's memory controller. I did that, and it booted back into Vista again.

I can't send it to shutdown without needing to unplug it for about a minute to get it to boot again(seems to be taking longer now, used to be about 20 seconds).

Is there a new bios on it's way soon for this board? I'm back to thinking it's a bad board or bad bios.

Comment

I've been digging around on the Extreme Systems board and found this thread where they are having issues with certain settings in the current bios as well.

Gigabyte EX58-UD5/Extreme Discussion Thread - XtremeSystems Forums

It looks like the S3 suspend setting might be broken in this bios version.
      It looks like there might be some new stability issues in the Turbo mode.

There are some suggestions about raising the QPI/VTT voltage to get it stable. Since this OCZ memory is the low voltage version, that might be part of my headaches. I need to do a bit more research before I try cranking voltages to stabilize the memory as it sounds like too much of a voltage gap between the QPI & the Vdimm can trash the CPU.

Comment

Well i've had enough of mine, I'm going to strip it down shortly and take it back to the shop for a refund.

Comment

Mine has been a rock since I last had a problem its been on over 96hrs and goes into sleep (S1) and comes out ok.

Comment

Mine seems stable for a while too, but occasionally when I shut it down or reboot, it does that "hard" shutdown where I have to unplug it for a minute before it will respond.

The bootups after that can be a mixture of double-boot, infinite loop boot, or doing a hard shutdown during bootup causing the whole process to repeat again. Then I'll get the safe-mode prompt when Vista loads.

When it can boot into Vista, everything is fast & happy.

Comment

Working...
            X