Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista not recognizing DVD-RW EP35C-DS3R

So I have an EP35C-DS3R.

Windows installed off of my Pioneer DVR-113KG with no problems whatsoever, except upon entering windows it is not even showing an optical drive. Just my floppy and HD. I do have the GSATA raid device working with 2 WD Raptors in RAID 0. After the POST I get the raid controller screen which shows my 2 WDs and then it lists my Pioneer Optical.

There are no drivers for this thing. I can't figure out what the hell it is, it seems like a bios setting perhaps but I've done my best to read the terrible manual no to avail.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Also, this drive is using an IDE cable it is not sata.

Re: Vista not recognizing DVD-RW EP35C-DS3R

I should note that I have the intel sata disabled as well as sata 0-3

For onboard SATA/IDE - Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Control - Sata/IDE

Comment

Don't have your board but here's some things to check:

If you're running Vista, set "SATA Port 0~3 Native Mode" and "SATA Port 0~1 Native Mode" to Enabled

In order to use the IDE port "Onboard SATA/IDE Device" must be set to Enabled

If still not visable in Vista, I wonder if you need to update the driver for the IDE port. Assuming your ICH9R southbridge is like the ICH10R on my board, the driver in question can be seen in Device Manager, View Devices by Connection, off the PCI Bus look for Intel(R) ICH9R Family PCI Express Root Port 5 - 3A48. The easiest way to tell if it's up to date is to run one of the Driver Update utilities such as the the one at driveragent.com or drivershq.com. Do a scan and see if the driver is up to date; if not, try updating it, restart and see if that fixes the problem.

Comment

Did you install the Intel Chipset Package? If not here >>>
        Intel ® Chipset Software Installation Utility  INF Update Utility - Primarily for Intel ® 4, 3, 900 Series Chipsets

If so, can you try a different jumper settings and or cable placement or different cable to be sure jumper setting or cable is not the issue here. CS is anywhere on the cable, Master is on the end, and slave in the middle. Try them all and if all is the same try another cable

Comment

I've tried different jumper settings. The drivermax had me download to 1HC9 drivers but it was for Serial-ATA. Windows is telling me my IDE drivers are up to date.

THis is so retarded, how the hell does my bios recognize the drive fine and let me boot from it but windows is unable to utilize it? I tried changing the sata ports to native but I have nothing plugged into them anyways so it did nothing. Any system scans show no optical and it isn't in my device manager.

So, drivers are good and jumper does nothing... I'll try a new cable but sadly I'm 99.9% sure it's fine since I totally took the system apart yesterday and ensure everything was hooked up correctly.

Comment

Edit: Yes, I installed the chipset from the gigabyte website the very first time I logged into windows since I noticed my optical wasn't recognized.

Also, I have tried a different drive that is also IDE and it was not recognized either. It was a LITE-ON.
            Last edited by 5HT; 12-07-2008, 09:03 AM. Reason: Forgot..

Comment

OK, so after a decent amount of research, since I am a novice, I've come up with the problem but now I need a solution.

Apparently the problem lies in my GBB36x controller and/or its driver. Initially in device manager there were 2 entries, with each saying GIGABYTE GBB36X Controller. One however had an exclamation about failure to start. I uninstalled that one and windows did a new hardware thing, suddenly my IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller menu now displayed ATA Channels 0 and 1.

This crappy piece of hardware is from JMicron. For whatever reason this driver is making my DVD-RW not show up. I've run into other people complaining of the same thing. I try to uninstall the driver but upon logging back in windows just instantly replaces it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

I have the Non EP version of this board and have had no problems. I have an Optiarc SATA Dvd on the ICH9r (which is in AHCI mode for the HD's) and just one device (IDE Dvd) on the GB aka JM363 controller connected as Master. Bios is set to IDE for the GB Controller. I assume yours is set to Raid/ide

I'm using Vista 64.

I've missed what OS you are using and if you have the drive set to Master on an 80 conductor ide cable? Do you note the Drive on the POST screen?

Edit: Just seen you are using Vista too. I didn't need to use the Jmicron driver as Vista supported the drive, although I did try various GB and Jmicron drivers just to check them out. The latter ones give you an IDE vs SATA install option - which seems a bit weird - sort of either or. Either which way my Liteon IDE drive wasn't affected by any driver i installed in relation to the Jmicron controller and has worked without issue.

Edit2: Any reason you didn't use the ICH9r for your raid setup - which is probably better supported and monitored through the Intel matrix storage manager.
                Last edited by VorLonUK; 12-07-2008, 12:38 PM.
                GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Yea, I'm at a loss to finding out what the hell the deal is or what fixes this. Apparently whenever that ****ty JMicro controller is set to Raid/IDE windows won't recognize the ide optical. A sata optical was recognized however I have 2 nice IDE drives for this rig... needless to say I haven't ran into many problems like this in my amateur PC building experience but this was a *****.

Since Gigabyte was closed I opted to just reinstall windows and build the raid on the Intel controller and set the JMicron to IDE and sure enough everything works fine now, but my booting is much slower which is a tad annoying.

All in all this was a terrible experience with Gigabyte. This was my first motherboard from them as I typically use ASUS/EVGA and I'm not sure if I'll be sticking with them. The load plate for my CPU was bent up about 10 degrees... no joke, I had to put it in a vice and hit it with a rubber mallet to get the stupid thing to fit on top the CPU so it would lock and allow the heatsink/fan to be flush.

Tech-support only on weekdays and no official forums or knowledge base + one quirky and irritating product = 10 hours wasted.

Comment

Ahh, slow boot will be overcome by a much faster RAID on the Intel controller anyway. So you should be good!!!

I'm here 365 man, I am not official or anything, but we do have 2 official Gigabyte members here or three. One, Janus, is Mod here.

But ya, I feel ya for sure!

I would have RMA the board for the bent CPU plate on day one, and told them to send me a NEW NON Used or damaged board back

Comment

I appreciate your time and feedback LSD. Everyone else as well. I certainly considered RMA'ing the board on day one, but I got it on a Friday and my wife really needed the PC. A thorough inspection of the board made me feel good, as it was pristine. That load plate just slides in and out anyways.

Thanks again! The PC is running wonderfully now.

Comment

Great to hear all is well!

Comment

Working...
                        X