Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel-VT Trouble with GA-EX58-Extreme

Hello,

I've been trying to get hardware virtualization activated for use with VMware Workstation 6.5.
    It says that hardware is VT-capable but it's not activated. In the BIOS I have checked that it's active.
    I've turned the computer off completely. But still can't get it to work. I've tested with both W2k8 Server 64bit and Vista 64bit. Also tested Hyper-V, VMware Server 2.0 but no luck. I've tested a few differrent BIOS versions F3, F4i and F4j. I have the i7 920 CPU.

I've tried searching around for others with same problem but it seems that I'm the only one so I assume that I have done something wrong.

If someone that has got it to work could post the correct BIOS settings I would be very grateful.

Best Regards,
    Laarkie

Re: Intel-VT Trouble with GA-EX58-Extreme

In BIOS, enable both VT and No-Execute Memory Protect.
    Then when you add the server role, check the appropriate hypervisor.
    That's all I've got ... hth.
    Last edited by jfk&g; 12-05-2008, 08:57 AM.
    Gigabyte P35-S3G . 50mm Fan on MCH +0.2v
    Intel E6500 (9 x 420) 3780mHz 1.33125v
    G.Skill 4x1GB
    PC2-6400-NQ
    840mHz +0.2v
    Gigabyte HD4850 . Acer X223W . Acer X193W+
    Rosewill
    RP500-2 . WD WD3200AAJS . Masscool 8WA741

Comment

HPET Set to the correct setting?

Comment

Thanks for the input.

I'm afraid I've already tried those settings. Since I don't know which HPET setting that is correct I've both enabled and disabled it. 64bit

On another computer hardware virtualization got disabled when I enabled PECI in the BIOS. This is my first Gigabyte motherboard so I'm not familiar with the terms used.

Comment

HPET enabled 64bit would be correct for what I mentioned. Sorry I dont have a 1366 board yet so I am at a real loss for trying to help you

In Integrated Peripheral BIOS Page you should set Init First Display to PEG for the first PCIE Slot, PEG2 if you are using PCIE Slot 2 instead. Default is PCI and you should change it to PEG

I am not sure what you meant about PECI, I assume you meant to say PCIE, but still unsure cause you said disabled?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
            I am not sure what you meant about PECI, I assume you meant to say PCIE, but still unsure cause you said disabled?
            PECI is short for "Platform Environment Control Interface" ( I had to look it up) so it wasn't a spelling error. This board doesn't have PECI so I've also tried to disable any "thermal" functions I can think of.

I sent a message to the ggts-site a few days ago but still no reply. :(

Comment

It sounds like all the advanced thermal monitoring & throttling on that EX58 board should be disabled. Look for them on both the Advanced BIOS page and the PC Health page. Might try using Ctrl+F1 at the Main page to reveal any hidden parameters.

Platform Environment Control Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"While previous thermal management technologies have made use of thermal diodes, PECI instead uses on-die digital thermal sensors (DTS). These sensors, after being calibrated at the factory, are able to provide digital data concerning processor temperature information. The PECI bus, allowing access to this data from chipset components, is a proprietary single-wire interface with a variable data transfer speed (from 2 kbit/s to 2 Mbit/s)."

"From a control standpoint, the main difference between PECI and the previously used thermal monitoring methods is that PECI reports a negative value expressing the difference between the current temperature and the thermal throttle point
              Last edited by jfk&g; 12-06-2008, 07:10 AM.
              G.Skill 4x1GB
              PC2-6400-NQ
              840mHz +0.2v
              Rosewill

Comment

Ahh ok, thanks and sorry for my confusion!!!

Hmm, all this disabled? >>>
                Advanced Settings
                Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled] << Leave, should not affect your issue here and should always be enabled

CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]

Comment

Finally! :)
                  I had given up trying different BIOS settings and enabled everything in advanced CPU.
                  Then I searched one last time and came across this page VMware Communities: Verifying that VT is Enabled and Locked at Boot

There seem to be something wrong in the BIOS since it can't seem to lock VT in enabled state at boot.

I will never forget this line "hv.enableIfUnlocked = TRUE"
                  This workaround will not help people using hyper-v

Thank you both for taking the time to try and help and hopefully this thread will help others until Gigabyte fixes this problem in the future.

Best Regards,
                  Laarkie

Comment

Awesome! I never knew that a complete power down was recommended whenever changing the VT parameter in BIOS, so that it is both enabled and locked at bootup. Very glad to hear that the VMWare diagnostic ISO and config file edit worked for you. Excellent!
                    G.Skill 4x1GB
                    PC2-6400-NQ
                    840mHz +0.2v
                    Rosewill

Comment

Nice to see a fix, thanks for posting for others!

Comment

Hey guys...our latest Beta BIOS should fix this (F4m). Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it along.

Comment

Thanks Colin,

I will try the new bios tonight.

I have now updated the BIOS and removed the "hv.enableIfUnlocked = TRUE" and it works like it should.
                          Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
                          Laarkie
                          Last edited by Laarkie; 12-18-2008, 06:19 PM. Reason: Tested the BIOS and it works.

Comment

Working...
                          X