GA-K8N Ultra-9 Boot Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-K8N Ultra-9 Boot Problems

• Motherboard GA-K8N Ultra-9 with AMD A64 3200 processor.
    • <!--[endif]--><!--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]-->Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 GTO Ultimate 256MB graphics card.
    • <!--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]-->2GB RAM
    • <!--[if !supportLists]--><!--[endif]-->Has been happily running Windows Media Centre for 3 years.

Re: GA-K8N Ultra-9 Boot Problems

Hmm, well start with removing all the ram and trying both sticks at once. If you get no joy you will need another machine.

In another PC you will have to test each stick of ram one by one, and then test your GFX Card, and then if you still do not find those to be the issue you will have to remove your CD/DVD drives and Hard drives from YOUR Machine and see if you can then access the BIOS, if you can plug in your Drives one by one until you find the culprit

Testing your hardware one by one in another machine would be the quickest way to see what is maybe bad.

What caused this? Did you have a storm or anything? Someone messing with the PC at all?

Comment

The only sign of life I have managed to get is when I remove the graphics card, then I get the appropriate BIOS error code beeps

Comment

Thanks Idle and Lsdmeasap ,

The only thing that is every loaded onto this machine are Windows updates as it is used exclusively as a TV/Media machine so I'm pretty certain that something has died. I'll have another go at stripping the machine down to see if I can isolate the fault.
        The one thing I don't have is an old PCI video card (I have a lot of old kit but don't have that) but I do have another machine I can test the graphics card in so I'll have a go at that.

What would be useful would be to know the exact sequence the BIOS POST does its tests because it is obviously failing before it gets to test for a keyboard because if I disconnect the keyboard I do not get that beep code.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on.
        Nick

Comment

Do you have other ram to test with? Or can you test that ram in another PC? That would be the simplest thing to test first

But ya, without two machines your testing is going to be limited.

Comment

I stripped the machine down bit by bit and it never showed any signs of life which was kind of good as I had already ordered a new motherboard. All the other components are now happily working with the new board. I guess I was lucky I could still get a socket 939 motherboard.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Comment

So, was it just a dead board then?

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X