How do I control case fan speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I control case fan speed

Hi - I hooked up a 120mm fan to the POWER plug on a UD3P board; is there a way I can control the fan speed? Using SpeedFan does not seem to have any effect.

So if I put it into the POWER connector, it spins at 1500rpm (loud). But if I put it into one of the SYSTEM connectors, it spins at 750rpm (quiet, nice), but I cannot change the speed of this. The fan has 3-pin connector, but I stuck it on the 4-pin connector that was closer to the front, hopefully that doesn't matter.

Thanks,
    - Eli
    Last edited by eli2k; 11-27-2008, 10:27 PM.

Re: How do I control case fan speed

It does not matter where you put it, but you could put it on Sys_fan2 and it would be PWM Controlled and you could use Easy Tune to control it some if you have smart fan control enabled in the BIOS.

Since you did not say what board you have here is the page for Both, P35 use ET 5, P45 use ET 6 >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Utility

Otherwise you will have to buy a fan controller

Comment

Hmm, dragging the bar around in EasyTune doesn't seem to do anything. It's a UD3P; well, I'll just live with slow but quiet speed for now.

Comment

It would need to be on Sys-Fan2 or CPU for easytune to adjust it, but then again SYS_Fan2 is always messed up it seems so it may not work there either!

If you like I could show you some cheap fan controllers?

Comment

Do you think this will do what I want - FRYS.com | ZALMAN

But, this is manual control. Do they make software fan controllers? Then again, I don't think I need the case fans to be of variable speed, dependent on temperature, like the CPU fan.

Comment

Well there is software fan controllers like speedfan, and easytune from gigabyte but you said that does not work so likely neither will speedfan

Ya, case fans do not need to vary with CPU Speed really, you could keep them low until your benchmarking or gaming and then turn them up. Or keep them at a happy medium all the time too if you liked.

Ya that would be the cheapest manual controller you could get, but you would have to have it on the back of your case to access it often if you wanted to change it. Here is what I use myself >>>
            Newegg.com - ZALMAN ZM-MFC1 Fan Controller Panel - Controller Panels

And here is some other controller for you to look at/think about >>>
            Newegg.com - FAN CONTROLLER, Controller Panels

Comment

Working...
            X