GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev 1.1) doesn't allow dual-channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev 1.1) doesn't allow dual-channel

I'm back. :( Should I create a new thread for this?

FYI, there isn't really a question here, just an experience, so feel free to skim.

Yesterday, I got a BSOD with KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR. This support article says it's an issue with SB700 and fixed in SP1. I didn't know that until now, so I hibernated last night.

Today, I resumed from hibernation, and got a BSOD with KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR.

After rebooting that, I got to the Vista boot progress bar (with green vertical lines). I assume it was running autochk. After a while, got BSOD with UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.

Rebooted and selected Safe Mode with Command Line. BSOD with UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.

I used the DVD's Startup Repair menu to get a command prompt and run chkdsk C: /f /r. It spat out "The type of the file system is NTFS." and nothing else. After a few minutes (5-10?), it finally said it couldn't lock the drive, did I want to dismount (No), did I want to check on restart (Yes). Restarting...

It restarted--I walked away to whinge--when I came back, Vista was up. I was able to install SP1 and subsequent updates. I inserted the GeForce 7300 LE video card (for its S-Video output) and my Hauppauge WinTV 150 card. On boot, Vista installed drivers for them.

So far, so good. I'm going to be nervous about the BSODs until a week passes without seeing them again though.

Comment

That vista Black screen is just the screen you get if you hit F8 at bootup, was you meaning to ask about that or what? Not sure what you meant by that image I guess? Silly me!

I would install your own updates for those mentioned cards direct from the manufacturers pages

Comment

Yes, that's the screen. Unfortunately, I only saw black--ever. That's why I tried re-installing Vista. And now (after being turned off all night and day), Explorer is hanging, so I'm trying to restart and it's hanging on "Shutting Down..." Ugh.

If I ever get it back, I'm going to try again to install the manufacturer's drivers, but I don't think that's the problem.

Comment

Update. Seems the HD is corrupted (again). chkdsk (after 15-30 minutes) finally reported "The type of the file system is RAW." I tried using diskprobe to change it, and it couldn't write.

I booted into the Vista DVD Startup Repair. It said everything was fine.

I started a command prompt and chkdsk /f /r. It said the file system is NTFS, but has been hung on "CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)..." and "10 percent complete. (5000 of 148912 files processed)" for about 30-45 minutes. And the HD light is solid on--no flickering that I can see.

I'll let it stew for 30-60 more, maybe even overnight. Then I'm formatting the drive, installing Vista again, and if there's a single BSOD I'm ordering a new mobo and calling NewEgg to ask them to give me another mailing label (because the one they gave me expires on Monday, and the new m/b won't get here in time).
          Last edited by skst; 12-11-2008, 12:21 AM.

Comment

So what happened?

Comment

It formatted okay, but it was so fast, it must be a fast format. I installed Vista okay. Then I thought I'd test its clusters (i.e., chkdsk /f /r). Big mistake. By my estimate, chkdsk will take 12 days to finish stage 5 of its test. (Does that even sound right?!) Although that'll probably test the m/b's HD controller, I'm seriously considering power-cycling, formatting (again!), and re-re-re-installing Vista. (Or should I just try a chkdsk /f and assume it's okay if that passes?) This time, I'd just copy gigabytes of files to it over the network and see if it dies.

Thoughts? Can rebooting in the middle of a chkdsk cluster test cause problems with the integrity of NTFS?

Update 1: After 24 hours, it's at 18%, so maybe it'll take "only" 6 days. Although my calculations still say 12. One of us sucks at math.

Update 2: Got too impatient, so I restarted it. Canceled the auto-chkdsk. Restarted again to be sure auto-chkdsk wasn't going to run. Scheduled chkdsk /f. It found some MFT/Volume issues with unused space marked as used. Restarted. Now trying to install the Vista updates.
              Last edited by skst; 12-13-2008, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Well /f implies /r so same thing (Thanks VorLon)

5 days! Ya that is way to long! how large is this drive? What you could do is chkdsk and just watch it as it goes which would be only 3 tests and no fixes, if you see issues then yes the /f or /r would be needed

Do you have all your ram installed and overclocked? Just trying to think of how to speed you up a little

I just did the same on a 3x250GB drive RAID Setup an it took way longer then I expected as well at 4Ghz with 4GB of ram! I think it was about 2-3 hours

Ahh, I see you got it going after a power cycle, sorry I type as I read! So all installed now or what?

Comment

Well /f implies /r so same thing (Thanks VorLon)
                  It's the other way around: /r (check sectors) implies /f (fix).

It's a terabyte drive. I was doing the sector test to be sure the drive and its controller were okay. All RAM installed. No overclocking because I want to be safe. It's really weird that your 750GB took only 2-3 hours and my 1TB did 20% in 2 days. 4GHz vs 2.5GHz doesn't seem to explain it.

Note: You might want to skim or skip to the bottom. SeaTools says the drive is bad.

Anyway. Short story: I got Vista re-re-re-installed and fully updated. Everything seemed great. I was copying files to it over my LAN and it took a power hit this morning. Chkdsk "couldn't continue in read-only mode" and I had to power-cycle it. Boot to DVD's command prompt. Chkdsk fixed unused space marked as used. Restart. Boots to black screen (like my FIRST problem). Waited...nothing. Rebooted to DVD--no HD detected.

Now, I'm booting into Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and it's sitting on loading crcdisk.sys with intermittent HD LED activity. Google says lots of people experience this problem. After 20 minutes, it spontaneously rebooted. The HD wasn't detected, so I power-cycled. Now I'm going into the DVD and try Startup Repair (useless) and another chkdsk.

I can try installing a 5th time (getting bored!), but after that I'm returning everything and eating the restocking fee. If Vista corrupts the drive irreparably after every unexpected reboot, it's clearly not ready for primetime. Windows XP and 2000 (and FAT32, for that matter!) were much more robust.

Update 1: DVD Startup Repair. Said Yes to "Do you want to restore to earlier point?" aaaannd "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically." Diagnosis/repair details say "System Restore: Failed. Error code 0x45d" and "System files integrity check and repair: Failed. Error code 0x4005."

DVD Repair's command prompt: chkdsk C: /f hangs--no output. Not even "The file system is NTFS."

I'm noticing now that when I flip the power switch on the PSU, the keyboard lights don't always blink on/off (even though it will power on). Does that indicate some kind of m/b problem??

So, DVD Startup Repair again. No restore point rollback this time. Startup Repair failed again. Command prompt -> chkdsk C: /f /v looks like it's hanging again. Open another cmd prompt, try dir C: and that hangs, too.

Put HD in enclosure on XP machine. Delete partition. Create. Format. Format completed unsuccessfully. (Huh?!) Now, maybe it's a bad HD?!

I give up. One more reinstall and then it's RMApalooza time. This time, I'm going to pull the drive (grr) and do a complete re-format on my XP machine.

Creating file system structures.
                  The first NTFS boot sector is unwriteable.
                  All NTFS boot sectors are unwriteable. Cannot continue.
                  Format failed.
                  SeaTools says it passes the Short Generic test but fails the Long Generic. Looks like the HD is bad. Another RMA. I'm so excited.
                  Last edited by skst; 12-14-2008, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Ya, sorry that is correct how you said it!

I dunno why mine was that fast, but it made me mad it took so long! Maybe my drives and RAID 0 x3 disks helped. I have 16MB cache 7200 RPM Single platter disks

Sorry to hear you have to RMA! I love Seagate and have never had a bad one, but I guess a Dud can happen to any brand! Wish you a fast return on your RMA. They do crossship for $20 I think. Be sure to wipe/zero your drive as you will not get it back. They will send you a new or used one in it's place

Comment

Just to let you know, Amazon automatically cross-ships and provides a return mailing label free of charge for defective merchandise. All through their Web site. They've already shipped a new one and it should arrive today (Tuesday). (I'm ordering more stuff from Amazon instead of NewEgg in the future.)

The drive only has Vista on it, so I'm not worried about data (except for the product key). I couldn't wipe it anyway; it's completely inaccessible--can't even format it--and it fails Seagate's Diag tests.

More updates after I get the new drive and re-(4x)-install Vista...

Comment

WOW< great to know about Amazon! Too bad they hate paypal or they would have much more of my business as I always see great prices there I cannot take advantage of

Super Huge Magnet would have worked

Comment

Vista installed. MCE configured. Copying my media over to it now. I'll update until I'm sure it's stable.

Comment

It's been stable for a few days now. I've added a wireless keyboard and remote. (Very easy to install.) I'd say this issue is closed.

Thanks again for all the help!

Comment

Originally posted by skst View Post
                              It's the other way around: /r (check sectors) implies /f (fix).

It's a terabyte drive. I was doing the sector test to be sure the drive and its controller were okay. All RAM installed. No overclocking because I want to be safe. It's really weird that your 750GB took only 2-3 hours and my 1TB did 20% in 2 days. 4GHz vs 2.5GHz doesn't seem to explain it.

Note: You might want to skim or skip to the bottom. SeaTools says the drive is bad.

Anyway. Short story: I got Vista re-re-re-installed and fully updated. Everything seemed great. I was copying files to it over my LAN and it took a power hit this morning. Chkdsk "couldn't continue in read-only mode" and I had to power-cycle it. Boot to DVD's command prompt. Chkdsk fixed unused space marked as used. Restart. Boots to black screen (like my FIRST problem). Waited...nothing. Rebooted to DVD--no HD detected.

Now, I'm booting into Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and it's sitting on loading crcdisk.sys with intermittent HD LED activity. Google says lots of people experience this problem. After 20 minutes, it spontaneously rebooted. The HD wasn't detected, so I power-cycled. Now I'm going into the DVD and try Startup Repair (useless) and another chkdsk.

I can try installing a 5th time (getting bored!), but after that I'm returning everything and eating the restocking fee. If Vista corrupts the drive irreparably after every unexpected reboot, it's clearly not ready for primetime. Windows XP and 2000 (and FAT32, for that matter!) were much more robust.

Update 1: DVD Startup Repair. Said Yes to "Do you want to restore to earlier point?" aaaannd "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically." Diagnosis/repair details say "System Restore: Failed. Error code 0x45d" and "System files integrity check and repair: Failed. Error code 0x4005."

DVD Repair's command prompt: chkdsk C: /f hangs--no output. Not even "The file system is NTFS."

I'm noticing now that when I flip the power switch on the PSU, the keyboard lights don't always blink on/off (even though it will power on). Does that indicate some kind of m/b problem??

So, DVD Startup Repair again. No restore point rollback this time. Startup Repair failed again. Command prompt -> chkdsk C: /f /v looks like it's hanging again. Open another cmd prompt, try dir C: and that hangs, too.

Put HD in enclosure on XP machine. Delete partition. Create. Format. Format completed unsuccessfully. (Huh?!) Now, maybe it's a bad HD?!

I give up. One more reinstall and then it's RMApalooza time. This time, I'm going to pull the drive (grr) and do a complete re-format on my XP machine.

SeaTools says it passes the Short Generic test but fails the Long Generic. Looks like the HD is bad. Another RMA. I'm so excited.
                              Just noticed this:-

In Checkdisk, I use c:\chkdsk /r /v

Also I create the bootdisks from WDC (Diagnostics) Seagate Tools, Hitachi Drive Fitness and MHDD for low level HD testing.

Edit:-
                              Seagates HD Windows diagnostic is very good and updated regularly. It checks most makes of hard drives and supports USB storage devices too.
                              You can use it in Windows For Smart, Quick and Full non destructive testing. It does have advanced options, so be careful with those.
                              Last edited by VorLonUK; 12-23-2008, 12:57 PM.
                              GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Working...
                              X