• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev 1.1) doesn't allow dual-channel

GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev 1.1)
    BIOS: F5 (16 Jun 2008)
    CPU: 4850e AMD Athlon64 X2 2.5GHz
    RAM: OCZ DDR2 800 MHz PC2 6400 gold 5-5-5-18 (2x2GB) (OCZ2G8004GK)
    PSU: Antec 380W (stock with case NSK2480)

This is a new build. I've tried both this OCZ and some Corsair TWINX (same specs) and both fail to work as dual-channel. (In this case, "Fail to work" means doesn't boot.) It'll boot if the memory is in single-channel mode though. (See chart below.)

I've tried increasing the memory voltage to 2.1v with no luck. Is it time to RMA the mobo or are there some other BIOS settings I should try for dual-channel?

I probably wouldn't mind continuing to use the board in single-channel mode (since there's not a huge performance gain), but I don't want to keep a defective board--who knows what else will go wrong.

Thanks for any help.

Code:
    [I]Testing stick A or B by itself[/I]
    +---+---+---+---+
    | + |   |   |   | boots
    |   | o |   |   | no boot
    |   |   | + |   | boots
    |   |   |   | o | no boot
    +---+---+---+---+

Testing both sticks:
    +---+---+---+---+
    | A |   | B |   | boots
    |   | A |   | B | no boot
    | A | B |   |   | no boot
    |   |   | A | B | no boot
    +---+---+---+---+
    Last edited by skst; 11-26-2008, 02:29 PM. Reason: Fixed RAM amount (not 4x4GB)

Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev 1.1) doesn't allow dual-channel

I do not understand your diagram, sorry.

With the GA-MA78GM-S2H I believe that to enable dual channel mode, the RAM sticks need to be in the same color slot. So DIMM0 and DIMM1 for dual channel where as normally they would be in DIMM0 and DIMM2 for dual channel.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by soldier; 11-26-2008, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Correct, for that board dual channel is Slots 1+2 or 3+4

But from your single stick tests looks like slots 2 and 4 may be faulty. But with 4GB sticks you may need to for sure set some things in the bios first before one or both sticks would work properly. This is 4x4GB right 16GB?

Comment

Geez, I'm sorry! I've got two (2) sticks of 2GB each (2x2GB). I have no idea why I typed 4x4GB. The diagram's indicate where I'm putting one (the first grid) or two (the second grid) sticks. (I'm distinguishing between the two sticks by naming them A and B.) The + and o show where the single stick works and doesn't work, respectively.

So, I think the main question is: Should a single stick work in any of the four slots? If so, the board is definitely bad. If a single stick doesn't necessarily have to work in slot 2 or 4, it could be BIOS settings.

Sorry again about that. Thanks for replying.

Comment

Ya, I got your diagram. 2x2 eh, well that is easier!

Yes a single stick should work in any slot, but you may need to manually set your ram voltage depending on the ram. So I would do that first before I ruled any slots bad.

With both sticks installed you will need to increase Memory controller voltage, and set refresh to act delay (trfc) not sure what it is in your BIOS to 195ns or 327ns, you will know which is it when you see those as options. It may be on 127ns now and that would cause a issue with both sticks at once

Ganged for single channel, and unganged for dual channel

Comment

I hope it's easier. I increased the RAM voltage +0.3v to 2.1v--the max allowed by this OCZ memory (and the mobo).

I don't see anywhere that I can set ganged or unganged. (I thought I saw a different post by you, I'm almost positive, that ganged was for dual-channel. Am I mistaken?)

I set the Trfc0-3 to 195ns. (Yes, it was on 127.) A single stick in slot 2 still didn't work. So I moved the stick from slot 2 to 1 and rebooted. The timings had returned to Auto. Is it normal for them to return to Auto after a failed boot?

Anyway, I set them all to 195ns again and tried slots 1&2--no boot.
            I removed the stick from slot 2, set them all to 327.5ns, and tried slots 1&2--no boot.

Since a single stick didn't work in slot 2 at 2.1v, does that confirm a bad mobo? Should I RMA it to NewEgg or directly to Gigabyte? (Will Gigabyte pay return shipping? NewEgg won't.)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

Yes, sorry! I dont know or help with AMD Much, it is Ganged for Dual channel. Since you Are you using the latest BIO, did you load optimized and save/apply/reboot after your flash? If so, try the hotkey, on the MAIN page of the BIOS press Control + F1 and then go into MIT and see if you can find it.

It is normal for things to go back to auto if settings are wrong for sure.

The ram may be bad, can you test it in another system with memtest86+ to be sure >>
              Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

I would suspect the ram before the board

Keep a eye on this thread or PM the user as he had a terrible time as well but finally got going >>>

Comment

I'm afraid I don't have another system to try the memory in. I did buy a set of Corsair TWINX 2x2GB sticks and tried them in this board though, and they don't work either. Plus, a single stick works in slot 1 or 3, but not in slot 2 or 4, and you said it should work in all slots.

I looked on the advanced DRAM page (CTRL+F1). (That's where I set the Trfc settings.) There's nothing there about ganged/unganged.

Yes, I loaded optimized settings, and the dual-channel doesn't work with them either.

That other user has my same board and CPU and the Corsair memory. I read that thread before I posted here. He was able to boot immediately. It sounds like his problem is more SATA-related. I've subscribed to that thread though; I'll be interested in how he got it fixed.

Comment

Ya, sorry to say but to me it does sound like you have faulty slot 3 and 4 then. Maybe you should RMA now while you can where you bought the board and save yourself the hassle

Comment

It seems unanimous (Gigabyte, OCZ, and myself) that the board's bad. Bummer. I'll start the RMA process and post back when I've tried the replacement. Thanks for all your help.

Should I RMA it to NewEgg (who charges me for return shipping) or would Gigabyte cover return shipping if I RMA it to them?
                    Last edited by skst; 11-28-2008, 01:29 AM.

Comment

if not 30 days .. call neweggs .. they will send you an RMA and no charge for shipping back .... i did that with my board ... i rma for return .. and same time buy new one ... that way i can have my system with out waitting... neweggs very helpfull on the phone

Comment

First off all, newegg DOES NOT Charge for return shipping at all ever. And second, yes return there, and best to call them up and set it up because if you ask nicely they will even email you a shipping label for you to send them the board with.

If you do it nice enough and talk about not having a system to do your work on they may even cross-ship it to you. Depends on who you talk with and how much you buy from them, but I have had things cross-shipped many times. For sure had pre-paid shipping labels sent to me alot.

But, even if you just fill out the online RMA form and dont talk to anyone, you do not have to pay for them to ship you the new board. In that case you would only pay the shipping to get the board to them (Please do Insure and track it as well)

Even if you are past the 30 days, calling them and trying wont hurt either.

If you do have to RMA to Gigabyte it will take a bit longer, but no return shipping will be charged there either
                        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 11-28-2008, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I called and they're doing a "refund/re-order" and the rep e-mailed me a mailing label. Great service! It's the next best thing to having the m/b work in the first place.

Comment

See! Ya, Newegg cannot be beat when it comes to RMA's and Customer service, especially if you call in about things... Email support not so hot, but phone in for sure is great!

Good luck with your new board, and hope your RMA goes thru fast!

Comment

I received the new motherboard. It still doesn't support dual-channel, even at 2.1v. I can only think there's a basic incompatibility between the board and the RAM.

A Gigabyte rep responded to my ticket and suggested the CPU might not support dual-channel memory (since the memory controller is integrated on the CPU). Does that sound right??

BTW, I didn't do anything with the thermal paste--just moved the CPU/HSF from the old board to the new one. (Of course, I had to pull the HSF off the CPU to do that.) I trust that's okay. The temps seem stable.
                              Last edited by skst; 12-03-2008, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X