Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent Help for customer workstation

Hello all,

I am currently building workstations for a customer using gigabyte's GA-EP43-DS3L LGA 775. Just over three weeks ago I installed 2 pc's in their office with the following core specs.

GA-EP43-DS3l
    OCZ Platnium 2GB (2x1gb) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Model #OCZ2N10662GK
    500W PSU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0
    EVGA 512-P3-n861 (GeForce 9600 GT 512)
    Vista Business x86 (32)

Pc#1 Came with bios rev. F3 lots of BSOD and was updated successfully to F8
    -Bios auto detected memory timings\volt and ran great No issues since installment

Pc#2 Came with bios rev. F6 and got BSOD frequetly
    -I adjusted bios timings to 5-5-5-15 as spec'd and did not touch ram voltage.
    -Ran well for vista install no more hiccups.
    -Here I am three weeks later with a client calling about constant BSOD's for this pc (#2) during boot, regular use, wake from sleep\screen saver.

Can anyone offer information that would shed light on any compatibility issues. I am doubtful of any though due to PC#1 running flawlessly however I can find no direct information on memory compatibility. Seeing as manufacturers rarely update mem compatibility lists after release of Mobo's I have to go off heresay and trial/error alot.

I am building my batle plan for tomorrow's service and wonder if you bright minds could offer opinions into my dilemma.

My current plan is to
    -Update bios & set timings to auto
    -If fail adjust ram volt to 2.1-2.3 test
    -If fail adjust timings 5-5-5-15
    -If fail ..........eat 31.99 and buy another set of ram....want to avoid this.

Thank you, and sorry for being so long winded.

Ric

Re: Urgent Help for customer workstation

Ya, I would go ahead and update the BIOS so they both are using the same. Sounds like F8 works great for the other build. I do know the Sleep issue was fixed in F8.

Please do NOT USE @BIOS to flash with, even if you did last time! Here is a Qflash guide if you are not sure how that works >>>

I would recommend you flash this way as @BIOS has been known to brick boards, and often.

I would say since F8 on the other machine picked up the voltages it should on this one as well, just be sure to load optimized defaults again after you flash. Then save and apply and reboot BACK to the BIOS as you will have to set the SATA disk settings again and then check if the ram is picked up properly.

Since you will have both PC's at your fingertips you can easily compare and make any needed changes based on the other machines BIOS. That may come in handy if you are unsure of anything since the other works fine

I think you will be fine and not have to buy new ram after the BIOS update since the other machine is working great.

Unless... Maybe this machine has a faulty stick or two? Did you test each stick by itself when you first built the machine? If not and the BIOS flash does not help this could be the issue. I would advise you test each stick one by one at stock (Manually set main timings, performance enhance set to standard, and voltage set) to be sure neither is faulty if you still have issues >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

If you do find errors and have the time you can do the same test with the suspect ram module on the other machine to be sure it is not the board causing it.

In the end you may have to RMA the ram and buy new for that PC while you wait but that just will give you a brand new set for your next customer to use

Hope this helps, and please do ask if you would like to know anything else in particular I could maybe help you with.

And of course post back anytime and we will try to help for sure

Comment

Thank you for your help, I am currently on the clients desktop after flashing the bios to
      F8 and only adjusting the memvolt to 2.1 in BIOS. Running like a charm, about to run memtest and call it a day.

Ric

Comment

So far sounds good. I would almost bet your ram is good, just the difference in BIOS made the one error and not the other.

S3 should for sure work now that you flashed F8, and it the machine (Either) gives memory errors be sure you set performance enhance to standard in the MIT Section of the BIOS and by default it is set to turbo

Comment

So, how did things go with this? Good I hope, just thought I would check in with you

Comment

Sorry for not getting back sooner, I have been in contact with the customer and they are very pleased. There has not been a single problem since the flash. I was actually coming back here to read up a bit due to the customer requesting a third workstation to be setup. I am going with the same configuration and will perform the flash prior to the os install. I hope to avoid possible BSOD's during installation.

Thanks again for your help.

Ric

Comment

Great to hear! And thanks very much for posting back!

If you need anymore help, for sure feel free to ask!

Comment

Working...
              X