GA-MA78GM-S2H ver 1.1 ~ First Build Challenges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H ver 1.1 ~ First Build Challenges

Ahh you will get used to things and be quicker soon! They likely have a anti-static mat is why he did not use any straps or anything. You can buy one, if you like me to find you one let me know and I will.

His arctic silver comment is for sure dead wrong!!! If you re-use or re-seat a heatsink that already has paste on it it will trap air inside there and for sure cause added heat! I cannot believe that came from a NCIX persons mouth! For sure always redo your paste if you remove a heatsink!!!!

Well, good luck getting all setup and installed. If you do run into issue for sure stop back in and we will try to help!

Thanks for your kind words as well, and wish you the easiest setup as you try to learn more about your BIOS

Comment

AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
      Gigabyte AM2+ GA-MA78GM-S2H ver 1.1. BIOS (newest) F11
      NB: AMD780G. SB: AMD SB700
      RAM 8GB (2 kits @ 4GB each) G.Skill DDR2-1000 (F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 x2 CL5-5-5-15) running as DDR2-800
      Case Antec P150
      PSU Corsair HX520W. (PSU calc by Corsair + NCIX; tested by TT Dr Power.)
      Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283 heatsink (Arctic Silver 5); 6 fans
      HDDs usable 1.7 TB Video ATI Radeon HD4670
      Monitor 22" LG W2242TQ w/Belkin DVI-D
      Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
      Mouses (2) Logi MX620 + Logi V220
      KB Simple Perfection backlit USB
      XP64
      No gaming; heavy simultaneous use of big programs
      System built Nov 2008

Comment

Arctic silver only really becomes unusable once it has "set" through temperature and time. You can note that by the difficulty of getting the HSF off - as it almost sticks like glue.

But to be honest, the articles that have appeared on the Net about any thermal compound have gone way over the top. Usually most thermal compounds (paste type) are fairly flexible and that can bee seen by the large lumps that Graphics card manufacturers drop on to the GPU.

I worked as a bench engineer for a 15 year or so period, working mainly on Hifi and Video. I very rarely spread the thermal paste out thinly etc on power transistors, or power IC's and usually left a ball of it under t03 type transistors or a lump under power Ic's. I used to rely on the excess to be squeezed out when the devices were properly attached, usually via screws.
        I have also been known to scoop up some of the surplus compound left during manufacture and use that on it's subsequent repair!
        I never had any repairs returned in connection with a heat problem/ thermal compound issue.

Also the Graphics card manufacturers use a measured amount of compound, usually a surplus, as you find a lot of the surplus Compound has vacated the core area and gone elsewhere once the HSF has been fitted to the GPU core.

Too much is made of the way thermal compound should and shouldn't be applied by sources on the net. Of course far too much is as bad as far too little, but a varying layer is fine. Also because there is a fair amount of manipulation and man handling of the HSF to get it attached to the board and core, any excess soon gets pushed to outside the core area.

Everyone has their experiences, but if the AS5 was still malleable when he took the HSF off then I would say you could get away with using it again.
        Last edited by VorLonUK; 11-30-2008, 08:58 AM.
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

I Would still suggest against a re-use no matter the age of th material due to Air being trapped in the spaces now left open as you reinstall the heatsink with the valleys and crevices it makes when you pull it off. Here is a thread I found which similar is stated >>
          Thermal paste reusing - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

This is a quote from the old Arctic Silver site before they revamped it >>>
          DO NOT REMOVE THE HEATSINK FROM THE CPU TO LOOK AT THE COMPOUND ONCE YOU HAVE MOUNTED THE HEATSINK. This will introduce air into the interface layer and require a fresh application
          I did know a good thread with some tests but I cannot find it now

Comment

AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
            RAM 8GB (2 kits @ 4GB each) G.Skill DDR2-1000 (F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 x2 CL5-5-5-15) running as DDR2-800
            Case Antec P150
            Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
            XP64
            System built Nov 2008

Comment

Ahh we love it! You should see all the PM's we send to each other! I consider VorLonUK to be a very good friend and is a very knowledgeable person for sure!

Hardware opinions will always vary, even from Qualified professionals

Good luck with your continued work, and post back anytime for sure if you need some help!

Comment

AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
                Case Antec P150
                Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
                XP64
                System built Nov 2008

Comment

WOW, sounds like a lot do do just for a heatsink!!!!

Let us know how your temps or progress turns out with your chosen "Method X"

Less Paste is more!

Comment

Well, yesterday I took the heatsink off, cleaned the CPU and the heatsink, put on new Arctic Silver, and remounted everything. It's all done except I had run out of plastic cable-ties, my "guy-wires", so I haven't added in that bit of safety-modding yet.

Mainly I did it because something inside me was nagging me to get it done, so I wouldn't have to keep thinking about the possibilities. When is meticulous simply obsessive? Well, the practice was good for me, anyway.

[Edit—I got a BSoD Stop Error 0 x ...50, but it looks like that MIGHT have related to my changing the positions of 2 PCI extension cards. I wasn't able to do a proper Restart—that could be another little problem—so I did a full shutdown and on that (second) try, I got into Windows, where I re-installed the PCI card driver, and I THINK that fixed things.

[Then I had a crash WHILE using NTRegOpt, first time ever, with any system. NTRegOpt is supposed to be fine for x64, so I don't know why it crashed. That left me unable to strart, with a corrupted registry. Luckily I could start using an XP OS disk, "repair", and an automatic ERUNT backup from earlier this morning. Worked like a charm.

[Now I have to figure out why my Restart button seems not to function. Those teensy-tiny wires that control the buttons seem to me to be terribly vulnerable. I'd like to replace them with a more robust kit. This Antec case is very nice but not perfect.]
                    Last edited by Groonx2; 12-08-2008, 01:38 PM. Reason: update
                    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
                    Case Antec P150
                    Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
                    XP64
                    System built Nov 2008

Comment

So you all good now then? About your reset wires, are they hooked up properly? Well, anyway either way should work as it just shorts the power to the board so a reset happens.

Maybe they have a break in them, can you test each wire from the button to the board with a volt meter?

Comment

Yes, I've considered my project a success and also "completed" for a few days now. These continuing et ceteras are pretty well what I expected. I enjoy maintaining systems and learning as I go, so I'm happy.

But I know I'll have lots more questions, too! :)

Now I am returning to that other thread, which I see you've offered help on as well. Thanks again.
                        AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
                        Case Antec P150
                        Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
                        XP64
                        System built Nov 2008

Comment

Sounds good! I like to learn as well!

Comment