GA-MA78GM-S2H ver 1.1 ~ First Build Challenges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA78GM-S2H ver 1.1 ~ First Build Challenges

GA-MA78GM-S2H ver 1.1, AMD Athlon x2 5600+ with Xigmatek HDT-S1283 heatsink, RAM = 8GB G.Skill 1000 (intending XP-64), Case = Antec P150 with Corsair HX520W PSU. HDD = 3, 2 x 500W SATA Seagates, 1 x 320W IDE. Optical: 2 (SATA + IDE). Floppy. Monitor LG W2242TQ-BF (22" LCD)

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum. I posted yesterday at the NCIX forums, as that was where I bought the components for this first build of mine. But perhaps I can find some Gigabyte mobo experts if I move to here. I don't mean to post in 2 different places, though, so if you want to see what I wrote yesterday, it's under First Build Won't Start, over at NCIX. Thank you.

In a nutshell, this first build is a light heavyweight for multitasking but not games. I've taken months to get everything together, and yesterday was my first attempt to start it up. It began very smoothly, and I found myself in the BIOS with my Gigabyte manual to help.

I got as far as the beginning of an XP-64 install, just as far as it processes the first files. Then it warned me that something in my config looked wrong, and I should re-check my drives, and restart.

With 6 drives--2 optical, a floppy, and 3 HDDs--I decided to disconnect various ones. But I never got my system back to that level again.

Instead, I ran into a new problem in which the 22" LCD monitor would come on to show its logo, and then tell me it was going into energy-saving mode, and then it would commence to snooze. In other words, it was not--and still IS not--receiving anything from the mobo. It's connected by a Belkin DVI-D cable.

At the same time, I lost the use of either of 2 keyboards I was using. One on the older socket plug-in, the other on USB. So they were on the back and the front of the case connections.

And at the same time, my case power start button began to require a 4-minute press to power off. Of course I had no Ctrl-Alt-Del because I had no keyboard. But the power button had previously had an instant power off.

I thought I'd perhaps made a BIOS mistake, but since then I have twice removed the CMOS battery for several minutes each time. No difference. I still am operating blind, with no monitor display and no keyboard.

I've tested the system with no drives connected at all. No difference.

I've removed 2 of the 4 RAM sticks. No difference. But I don't THINK that RM would influence whether a keyboard receives input from the mobo, would it?????

I am wondering about my Power Button wiring connections. If you know a lot about Gigabyte mobos, perhaps you have insights here. The case is an Antec P150. I connected "all the little wires' by assuming any colour was positive, and any white was not positive. I have not seen anything that looks loose, but maybe there is. I might have jostled a small wire when I was disconnecting all those drives.

Please keep in mind: at the moment, I have no monitor and no keyboard. Yesterday morning both were okay. The BIOS is theoretically at default, although I can't see it. I still have fans humming, and, when connected, the drives appear to be working.

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Groonx2; 11-25-2008, 08:40 AM.
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
    Gigabyte AM2+ GA-MA78GM-S2H ver 1.1. BIOS (newest) F11
    NB: AMD780G. SB: AMD SB700
    RAM 8GB (2 kits @ 4GB each) G.Skill DDR2-1000 (F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 x2 CL5-5-5-15) running as DDR2-800
    Case Antec P150
    PSU Corsair HX520W. (PSU calc by Corsair + NCIX; tested by TT Dr Power.)
    Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283 heatsink (Arctic Silver 5); 6 fans
    HDDs usable 1.7 TB Video ATI Radeon HD4670
    Monitor 22" LG W2242TQ w/Belkin DVI-D
    Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
    Mouses (2) Logi MX620 + Logi V220
    KB Simple Perfection backlit USB
    XP64
    No gaming; heavy simultaneous use of big programs
    System built Nov 2008

Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H ver 1.1 ~ First Build Challenges

I must admit i don't know much about this board or setup at all.

However, i'm assuming it's got onboard video?

Have you connected up a motherboard speaker, so you can hear any bios beep codes etc? That could alert you to what the monitor isn't showing you.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Thanks, Vor. I didn't realize it had no case speaker until I was working with it yesterday. I have a good audio system, but I'll get a little case speaker as soon as I can. There are 4 pins on the motherboard for one.

This mobo was given a very good review at Tom's Hardware, which actually influenced me to buy it. I am waiting to see how good the video is before I buy a video card:
      HD3400 In The Northbridge With Additional Memory - Tom's Hardware : AMD's New 780G Chipset Has Powerful GPU
      AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
      RAM 8GB (2 kits @ 4GB each) G.Skill DDR2-1000 (F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 x2 CL5-5-5-15) running as DDR2-800
      Case Antec P150
      Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
      XP64
      System built Nov 2008

Comment

I would remove all but one stick of ram, and when you remove the CMOS battery put a jumper on the Clear CMOS pins and unplug the PSU and let the system sit for about 30 minutes.

Then see if you can start the system, if not try each ram (Still one only) at a time, maybe one or more is faulty. It happens

As for your Install, you have to load the correct drivers per your BIOS settings with F6 at the initial start of the XP install is why you are seeing that error

And best to use a PS/2 keyboard until you get things sorted.

If you still do not get anywhere take your board out of the case and try on a box or wooden table with only minimal parts (CPU/Heatsink, One stick of working ram {Test in another PC if you can} and the GFX card) NO hard drives or optical drives and see if you can get in the BIOS. If you can then you start slowly adding things back one at a time until you find what is causing the failure
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 11-25-2008, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Lsdmeasap, that is an interesting idea :
          put a jumper on the Clear CMOS pins and unplug the PSU and let the system sit for about 30 minutes.
          AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
          Case Antec P150
          Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
          XP64
          System built Nov 2008

Comment

I found mine to be nicely tight too (atx 24pin). There is no need to remove it, if you are happy to carry out the rest of the process (explained above) after you've left the PSU unplugged from the mains supply for a period of hours, or even overnight. This will give time for the decoupling electrolytic capacitors to fully discharge. In all reality the power supply secondary side capacitors (low voltage side) will discharge fairly quickly anyway.
            GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

F6SATA is found running at IDE mode! Wikipedia says that can be tricky to change AFTER the OS is installed. Would you press [Y] and enable AHCI on that first time into the BIOS?

Thanks again.
              AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
              Case Antec P150
              Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
              XP64
              System built Nov 2008

Comment

Ya, you can leave the cables connected. To be sure most of the power is drained you may also press and hold the case power on button for a minute or so.

Yes, you would need to enable AHCI in the BIOS and then install windows with the AHCI Driver. Not tricky at all really

Let us know if you get going, and do need more help.... Or if you do not get going

Comment

Or if you do not get going
                  AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
                  Case Antec P150
                  Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
                  XP64
                  System built Nov 2008

Comment

I realized this evening that my computer is not booting up as far as doing a POST. It fails before the POST.

But it WAS posting on Monday morning. There was no excessive heat around the CPU. Later, when I took the heat sink off the CPU, the Arctic Silver looked okay.
                    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
                    Case Antec P150
                    Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
                    XP64
                    System built Nov 2008

Comment

Will it work properly outside of the case, off the tray on a box or wooden table with ONLY the CPU/Heatsink, One stick of ram, and your GFX card? NOTHING Else connected just those three items mentioned

If so you likely have a piece of bad hardware, you will have to connect things one at a time outside of the case still until you find the culprit

Comment

For graphics, the system relies on the mobo's 780G chipset with its integrated HD3200 GPU. I intend to see how well that does, and to then buy a graphics card if needed.

Yes, I shall try an out-of-case setup when I remove things today. The big heatsink prevents the PSU being taken out by itself, anyway. I might as well take it all apart, try your idea, and then take both the PSU and the mobo to NCIX.

I'll ask them to check the PSU (for free, I hope) and, if it's okay, I'll see about RMAing the mobo. If they are willing to do that.

But I'm doing this somewhat slowly, hoping some new solution will come out of the blue.
                        AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
                        Case Antec P150
                        Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
                        XP64
                        System built Nov 2008

Comment

This afternoon I took the 35-pound system to NCIX, which is a few miles from here. The technician there tested the PSU = OK, looked at everything, checked the RAM. Everything looked OK to him.

So he asked me to remove the motherboard (on the spot!) and he got a brand new replacement of the same make and model of mobo. Assembled outside the case; and it POSTed.

He repeated it three times.

Then I mounted the replacement mobo in the case and he tested it one more time. The POST was OK.

BUT--it doesn't end there. The rear case fan was not working. Now, that fan was not working with the bad mobo, either. But the CPU fan WAS working. Both are attached to the mobo.

The fan not working was a 120mm 4-pin fan I took from the Xigmatek HDT-S1283Do you think the Xig fan was originally the culprit that caused the first mobo to stop working? The fan tries to start, and the blades tremble a bit. Or do you think because it has the 4th pin, the system is choosing new motherboard.

Thank you.
                          AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
                          Case Antec P150
                          Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
                          XP64
                          System built Nov 2008

Comment

PWM fans often only come on at certain temps if you have smart fan control enabled and set to PWM, you can set it to voltage and they should always run full speed.

So your new board is all working correct now at home then? If so great to hear it!

Comment

Yes, and many thanks for your helpFAST!Lsdmeasap, VorLonUK, et al.
                              AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
                              Case Antec P150
                              Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
                              XP64
                              System built Nov 2008

Comment

Working...
                              X