Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bare Bones Constant Power Off and On

I am in the process of a rebuild and have the following Intel Q6600
    Gigabyte GA-EP-DS3R 1 stick of ram and PSU + Video card hooked up outside of the box .With Stock Intel Cooler fitted . All retail never used parts . Problem is power on PSU and CPU fans run for about 45 seconds then power themselves off followed by powering themselves back on 30 seconds later and so on in a continual loop .Therefore unable to post or even enter the BIOS .
    Tried reseating everything different cooler swopped ram and cleared CMOS all fail .Duff board Duff CPU or something else ?.Never had such a dead end on any system i have built before and dont have replacement mobo or CPU to swop for testing .
    Thanks
    jje

Re: Bare Bones Constant Power Off and On

Maybe unhook the video card and boot up to see if the cycling still occurs. Have you connected all of the required PSU cables to the motherboard?

Comment

The cause of they cycling is because the memory either does not run at 1.8v or its faulty. My advice is to go to the store local to you buy the cheapest ram and install it to get the machine to post then go in the bios and up the voltage to that required by your ram.

Comment

Yes sounds like maybe that ram is not starting at default voltages or is faulty. Most ram will star at 1.8V no matter the spec'd voltages, but some sadly for sure will not.

Please link us to the ram if you can, and your PSU and GFX card as well

That would be the first thing I looked into borrowing from a friend one stick of ram you KNOW works, maybe even try some other DDR2 you have at home in a old PC any speed will do.

Comment

Ram its booting and running into BIOS ok on second stick of ram.
          Looks like my brand new pack of Corsair ram has one good and one bad stick.
          Thanks all for help at the time of posting my brain had gone into an endless loop where the first item on the list to check was missed.

jje

Comment

Ahh, so one stick works but one does not, right? Ya, sounds like a faulty stick for sure then, you will have to RMA the pair then.

Good luck with a fast RMA

Comment

Working...
            X