Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX58-UD5 Problem

Hello!
    I'm having major issues with my new core i7 system.
    okay, first of all, everything was running great until yesterday, but then when booted my system yesterday morning i noticed that both of the lan's were gone. Looking it up in the device manager both the installed ethernet controllers were missing (using vistax64 at this time).
    I then went into bios, but both the controllers were enabled in the bios, rebooted but still no trace of them, so i started to format my computer and reinstalled vista, but still no controllers. then i started troubleshooting and noticed that no lights went on if i connected the cable to the lower jack, but a damp green went on on the upper jack, i cleared cmos and tried again, but no luck. I then started up with a Ubuntu live cd, but what you guess, no recognised controllers. after that i tried updating the bios, first to f3, but no luck, then i tried the f4e beta bios, but still no luck. Did a memtest86 after that with no errors after 2 passes.

After that I removed all power cables and removed the battery, and then left it like that for about 2hours, and then it actually lit the lamps on the back when i booted and the bios "smart lan" could recognise a cable, so thrilled i exited bios (rev. F3 atm) and the computer started to reboot using bios default settings, but.... then my screen went black and the cpu fan stopped. The leds on the MB still on, as they normaly are during boot, except this time the "cpu frequency leds (the blue ones at the top)" 3 of them started to blink slowly. and the debug display stating " 8.8. " (alas everything that can be lit on the debug are lit) but there are no error code for 8.8. in the manual :(

so, I took everything out of the case and and by the book (as the first time) inserted everything back, but again, it was like previously, 3 of the 6 cpu freq blue leds blinking at the debug led stating 8.8. and the cpu fan stopping after about 3 seconds. then to be able to power off the system i must take my psu to 0 at the back because the onboard or the power button on my case doesnt work, even if I hold them in for as long as 30 seconds. Reset does nothing either.

I'm now out of ideas, do anyone know something that might be useful to know? or any tips.

also i only did a small oc to 3.0Ghz to test for a little while ( to check ze big numbers on the tests :D) , but went back to default for about 3 days ago as i only have intel box cooler at hand atm.
    I'm experienced with building computers and tweaking them and have done so for about 5 years, but this puzzles me.
    All the Temps were within good ranges.
    could the MB or maybe even the cpu be faulty? going to borrow a psu from a friend tomorrow and test also.

specs:
    GA-EX58-UD5
    Core i7 920
    Corsair XMS3 3x2GB PC10666 1.5V
    NorthQ 850W
    Sapphire Ati 4870x2

*Wall of Text hits you [Fatal Damage]*
    Last edited by DegJ; 11-23-2008, 08:00 PM. Reason: typo

Re: EX58-UD5 Problem

Wish I could help! I would test it out of the box on a wooden table, or box with ONLY CPU/Heatsink, 1 stick of ram and your GFX card and see how it works then slowly add things back if it is working until you find the culprit

Comment

Yes, ben there done that, under the first troubleshooting and the insert of stuff i did like it,
      but I'm starting to think it might be the psu, i had some strange behaviour when moving some cables an hour ago. brand new psu also, thats why i ruled it out as why the hell does both the ethernet controllers stop working if its a power issue? :<
      anyone got any experiance with a NorthQ 850W black magic?

Comment

Can you maybe test that PSU in another setup to see if it is indeed faulty?

Comment

I had that exact same problem and my system specs are about identical except I have the corsair 1600 memory and Zaltek 850 watt power supply. Using the f4k bios, i was playing with sata drivers acpi, and i reverted back to my old settings it killed my lan ports they just start blinking. After a reboot or two they died. Though my fix was with the power supply, luckily flipping the switch off on the power supply w/ a combo of cmos reset switch and they kick back on. A pain because the switch is internal. Though now after your story kind of afraid to play with the sata mode, hopefully L bios will get it resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by thraxed View Post
            I had that exact same problem (...) After a reboot or two they died. Though my fix was with the power supply, luckily flipping the switch off on the power ...
            THANK GOD! That also happened to me after one week of mostly no downtime running Ubuntu 8.10 without any problems. After a reboot the system lost the network controlers! (Yes, both!) Turning off the power supply and removing the power plug for a few seconds helped.

Thanks alot for your post, thraxed!

bee

Edit for Google:
            EX58 EXTREME Socket1366
            Intel Core i7 Prozessor 920
            eth0 eth network disappeared
            Last edited by beeyatch; 12-17-2008, 05:40 AM.

Comment

I had the same issue with my motherboard. It is as if both LAN controllers do not exist. I tried to unplug everything, but the LAN controllers never show up in opensuse, ubuntu or WinXP. Besides that, in the BIOS "Smart LAN" option
              nothing shows up, not even the "Start detecting at Port" message for measuring the size of the cables. Strangely enough, the green lights would turn on normally when I connect the cable to a hub. Other than that, I'm doing no overclocking, all CPU and SYS temps are very low (<40C) and all the voltages are fine. Everything else if fine, the system boots normally, I fully tested all the memory using the opensuse utility, even the ATI x2 card works.
              My config:

EX58-UD5 mobo
              i7 920
              12GB XMS3 (6 memory sticks)
              Sapphire 4850x2
              Bios 3

Besides thraxed solution which did not work for me, anything else I should try? Thanks!

Comment

Hey,

That Problem keeps bugging me once a week. Just try to Unplug the power cable for 2 minutes, boot fully and try again.

Sometimes i have to repeat 3-4 times.

Is there any permanent solution?

Hope that helps
                Best
                Beeyatch
                Last edited by beeyatch; 12-24-2008, 09:29 AM. Reason: Defined "cable"

Comment

I think I have figured a solution to fix the LAN port problem. I was having the same problem where both LANs were not working even though I have the ethernet cord hooked up correctly. Even when in the bios I did a test on the LAN port that had the ethernet cord hooked up to it and it showed that it had a connection. Anyway, here is what happened and how I fixed it:

I installed Vista Ult. 64 and the first thing I noticed after it was all set up was that I had no internet. So I went to the mobo driver disk and installed all the drivers. While it may look like a good idea to install the Realtek LAN drivers that was my mistake. I installed the drivers and even after I did my internet was still not working even though the light on the LAN port I was using was on. So I go into device manager and it showed that the LAN drivers were not installed so I right clicked on one of the Realtek LANs that were showing and first tried to upgrade the drivers. System kept saying that I had the most current drivers Then I choose to uninstall the drivers and then install the drivers again. Still didn't work . At this point I decided to install Vista again oping that would fix the problem. After installing Vista again I was faced with the same problem but this time I took a different approach. Now to the solution:

Solution:
                  I went straight into the device manager this time without installing any of the drivers from the disk. I saw that the Realtek LAN ports needed the drivers so I right clicked on one of them and selected Upgrade/install driver. I then made it browse the mobo disk for the drivers and after finding them it worked. So far I have had no problems (knock on wood) with this solution and hopefully this is a fix for your problem. :)

System Specs:
                  GA-EX58-UD5
                  Core i7 965
                  CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
                  1200 PSU
                  2x 8800 GTX
                  Last edited by Brian2k; 12-24-2008, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Hey,

i guess that the problem must be os independet since i never used windows on my Maschine. Even worse, sometimes the nic does not even shows up on Boot listing which should be uneffected by any operating system drivers?

Beeyatch

Comment

Thanks brian2k but the problem is more "visceral" than Windows. It is an initialization issue at the BIOS level. I found out there is a BIOS update F4 and downloaded it from GIGABYTE - Upgrade Your Life (note that the gigabyte US web site does not have it yet) and it seems that network is now working (even realized it was 1GB/s < 10 m link inside the BIOS test). When it started working opensuse 11.1 would make it work right away without any problems whatsoever, for Windows XP, you need to install the driver that comes in the CD (which only appeared for installation once the device is detected by BIOS). Watch out for the CD, it wants to install (perhaps maliciously) a whole bunch of Gigabyte malware.

If this is now reliable, I have no idea. I'll let you know if it fails again.
                      Thanks for all your help!

Comment

I'm about to buy one of these, i hope i dont get these problems

Comment

Comment

Sounds to me like your system is not as stable as you believe it may be. Have you ram memtest86+ and for how long? Ran orthos, how long?

Comment

Hey Lsdmeasap,

i will run memtest this night. But i am not sure about the stability of the system. How can effect a memory problems the network controler? The system if once booted keeps working for days.

It's also strange, that the network controler does not even show up on bios. The cable test only shows "virtual cable".

Comment

Working...
                              X