No announcement yet.

Ga-EP45-DS4 Cold boot / S3 standby resume issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ga-EP45-DS4 Cold boot / S3 standby resume issue.

I have these issue's with my PC:

When i cold boot it after beeing off for some time, the fans start running as usual but after one second it automatically reboots even before it reaches POST screen. After automatic reboot boot always continues normally.

When i resumed from S3 standby, PC used to result in a blue screen (vistaX64). After flashing latest F9 BIOS, no more blue screens occured.
    9 out of 10 Times resume works perfect. But sometimes when resume is initiated PC gets stuck in a reboot loop. Only way ending this loop is hitting the switch on my PSU, system does not react to soft-power off in this state.

Anyone around familiar with these issues?
    No matter how hard i stress it on its current overclocked settings, the system gives up no error's (Orthos / Memtest).
    Besides running everything stock speeds doesnt fix the issues.
    Last edited by MadDoGz; 10-29-2008, 02:47 PM.
    Primairy system: GA-EP45-DS4 / E8400 C0 / 2x2GB OCZ ReaperX PC8000 / Sapphire HD5870 / Creative Xfi Xtrememusic PCI / Intel Postville 160GB for OS & Programs / Antec Neopower 650w / Antec 900 / Windows7x64pro RTM (build7600)

Re: Ga-EP45-DS4 Cold boot / S3 standby resume issue.

Did you load and apply optimized defaults after you flashed? If not you must, but it sounds like you may have since it is working 9 out of 10 times.

Your ram MUST be 100% memtest86+ stable for S3 to work always, so maybe you just need some minor adjustments? How long have you ran Memtest86+? I can say Auto for everything is not going to work, especially with 2x2GB

Comment

At first, thanks for your reply!

I figured out that the Standymode issue can probably be related to my previous RAM performance enhancer which was set to Extreme. Running Turbo mode now, as it's only a light overclock (see sig).
      Quite remarkable that it didnt give any error's on memtest for the ram.
      Orthos popped up an error after some time on Extreme setting (it didnt on some previous bios after hours of stresstesting). Degrading from Extreme preset to Turbo on 4-4-4-12 settings, made a slight decrease of 0.1v on the ram even possible. It's running on 1.9v now, rockstable sofar.

I guess the difference between Turbo and Extreme won't give a noticeable performance boost. Primairy timings/FSB proportions are most important.

About the cold boot issue:
      Guess it's pretty common; That it always starts perfectly second time when cold booted? Doesnt do it when pc is just turned off and makes a "cold boot" tho.
      Last edited by MadDoGz; 10-30-2008, 11:56 AM.
      Primairy system: GA-EP45-DS4 / E8400 C0 / 2x2GB OCZ ReaperX PC8000 / Sapphire HD5870 / Creative Xfi Xtrememusic PCI / Intel Postville 160GB for OS & Programs / Antec Neopower 650w / Antec 900 / Windows7x64pro RTM (build7600)

Comment

Best to use standard, especially with 4GB as you also need to set some other things to get 4GB stable.

But nice to hear you are all stable, if you run into issues feel free to post back

No, Advanced timings make ALOT of difference. The Perf. Enhance only lowers static Tread Value. That and all the other timings manually set can make a huge impact on performance.

No, it is not normal anytime for a reboot loop when starting the system. Cold or not, that means settings are not properly set

Comment

Although last setting with Turbo enhancer was Orthos-stable for over 12 hours and passed memtest86+ over 10 times without errors, i still have the cold boot issue i mentioned. S3 Standby mode also crashed 1 more time on me (succeeded around 30 times).
          What really seems to influence (how weird it may be) both issue's seems how long ago the PC has been turned on/off.

At this moment i switched the performance enhancer to Standard, as you recommended me.
          Found out some new basic memory timings that seem Orthos-stable -sofar (1 hour). These are as low as 4-4-3-12 on @DDR800.

BUT i have some (simple) memory benchmark results in Everest that seem really ridiculous to me:

Read: 6542MB/s - Write 8489MB/s - Copy 7563MB/s - Latency 83.5ns

Check out the Write speed beeing that much higher than the (IMO pretty low) Read speed. I never seen this before.

Also figured out switching from 4-4-4-15 to 4-4-3-12 doesnt make much of a difference in this particular test (even makes a very little neg difference though).

Perhaps someone might be able explaining this to me?

Advanced Timings are still all set Auto.
          I could really use some help settings these manually since i'm not used to configuring these.

Thanks.

Edit:
          Just figured out another issue:
          setting my CR (command rate) to another value in the bios doesnt actually change it according to everest and cpuZ..... remains 2T.

Did also set my TRD timing to 8, which really increased my performance.
          New benchie:

Read: 7657MB/s - Write 8478MB/s - Copy 8203MB/s - Latency 66.6ns

Note the read/copy speed and latency really improved.
          Funny how the Writespeed is still on top.

Testing for stability atm.
          Last edited by MadDoGz; 11-03-2008, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Use standard on the Performance enhance and lower the static tread yourself if you like, it will be much more stable

Those values are all dependent on your ram chips themselves and what advanced timings you use. And they will never be the same, as it takes longer to do each of those tasks

Here is some test benches I did the other day for someone with my Mushkins, just so you can see the value variances are normal Post # 50 Linked >>>
            Welcome to GIGABYTE Technical Support! - Page 5 - TweakTown Forums

And here is some Crucial's I am testing right now >>>

Command rate to 1T requires High quality ram, and normally will not work much above 800Mhz, and would need looser subtimings and possibly voltage adjustments. If I get time here in a second I will post you some images that show 1T will work on these boards

Those bench values are all about the subtimings!

Comment

About the command rate... figured out setting it to slowish 3T didnt actually change it aswell.. (just changed to see if setting another value works).

Last settings for the ram i ran were unstable after first memtest loop so i changed the TRP back to 4.

Current settings: (4-4-4-12 / TRD 8 - TRFC 42 - rest AUTO) made 14 succesfull memtest passes @ 1.9v.
              Chips are rated to run @ max 2.1v but sofar i havent found anything stable @ 2.1v which failed @ 1.9v.

Infact my modules are PC8000 meaning they run default @ DDR2-1000 but figured out the ReaperX's 2x2gb kits PC6400 and PC8000 use exactly the same Powerchip IC's.
              I prefer running them at lower FSB with tighter (tightest? ) timings.

Had the pc @ sleepmode for over 8 hours now and it succesfully resumed out of it. BUT, i think it might still crash sleepmode-recovery after the system has been powered off (not meaning standby) for some time.
              I also doubt if the coldboot issue is resolved.

A question about the NB (MCH) voltage; is there a voltage-sensor in it?.. and if so, how can i read out the value?.. Everest and Easytune6 show me nothing (stopped using Easytune6 since Everest got support for the newer boards/chips).
              It is currently set to auto but i found that it needs around 1.2v to run current overclock stable.

Which voltages are recommended to set manually?
              I only have the cpu Vcore and Vram set manually at this time, all other voltages are left AUTO. Setting cpu voltage auto will do 3.6ghz but gives the cpu ~0.1v! more then the 1.184v (after Vdroop, 1.225 is set manually) which is actually required to run it stable.

Appreciate your support LSDMEASAP!
              Last edited by MadDoGz; 11-04-2008, 10:41 AM.

Comment

I discovered another issue:
                When manually setting some advanced timings, the bios shows the values set (doh).
                But when i look after these settings in MemSet they appear at a looser latency than set.

When the only advanced timings/settings changed are the Static Tread Value (8) and TRFC (42), MemSet shows these correctly.

According to MemSet the rest of the advanced timings are set (automatically) as follows:

TRRD 3
                TWTR 10
                TWR 13
                TRTP 5
                CR 2

Strangest of all is: when manually putting the values mentioned above in the BIOS,
                MemSet shows much looser timings.

Ofcourse i tried changing value's 1 at a time.

How is this possible?

Comment

MCH voltage is shown in EasyTune 6, in tuner, voltage, advanced

As for your memset and timings difference>>>
                  http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/memo...vs-bios-27283/

And when you only set two as you mentioned, the BIOS will still set the others

Cold Boot working yet?

Comment

Time will tell if the cold boot issue is fixed....

For now i can tell 400mhz FSB (DDR2-800) with timings 4-4-4-12 TRD 8 & TRFC 42 on Standard performance is Orthos / Memtest stable.

Also figured out my maximum RAMspeed is only 820mhz with current timings
                    which needs the rated 2.1 volts on the modules to run.
                    Since 800mhz takes me only 1.9 volts, the extra 20mhz is not worth it with these tight timings IMO.

Ofcourse bios sets other timings when i only set the TRD and TRFC manually in advanced. But what i ment is: If i manually set exactly the same timings the BIOS has set automatically for those left AUTO, MemSet shows me other values than manually set.
                    If i put it back AUTO they are tightened up again.

Comment

Nice to hear you found some stability.

Memset vs BIOS differences are explained when manually set. Auto is a "On the Fly" type of thing, and what you see in the BIOS on the left for Auto is not always used or set if you choose Auto which is why manual settings are advised

Comment

Thanks for your input again.
                        I knew auto makes changes "on the fly".
                        But how is is possible that if all settings are manually set to various values in the BIOS, that MemSet still shows some different than i selected?
                        Is this some kind of BUG in the BIOS?

By the way:
                        4-4-4-10 as primairy timings is stable on same voltage aswell, but no change in bandwidth or latency's noticed.
                        Last edited by MadDoGz; 11-06-2008, 06:39 AM.

Comment

No, as I said if you manually set some of the settings the values will be shown different in Memset, this is explained in The Memset vs BIOS guide.

Those would be ONLY tWTR, tWR and tRTP as quoted here >>>>
                          Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                          Rank Write to READ Delay (tWTR)_______ (4-6) 9-11 (Note Actual Value set in BIOS Vs. What system Uses will be 7+)
                          Write to Precharge Delay (tWR)________ 3-5 (Note Actual Value set in BIOS Vs. What system Uses will be 5+)
                          Refresh to ACT Delay (tRFC)___________ 38-42 (2X1GB) 52-62+ (2x2GB)
                          Read to Precharge Delay (tRTP)_________ 3-6 (Note Actual Value set in BIOS Vs. What system Uses will be 2+)
                          Static tRead Value (tRD)______________ (6) 7-10 (800Mhz) 7-12 (1066Mhz)
                          Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31*
                          444-10 should be a little better, but you can likely get better advanced timings if you do use 444-12 though

Comment

Working...
                          X