No announcement yet.

EP45-DS3R & Q9300 overclock test ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EP45-DS3R & Q9300 overclock test ...

CPU core voltage from CPU-Z for 2.5GHz shows : 1.184v [1.200v]

thanks for the heads up, am using the F11 function to save the settings.

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Have you ever loaded optimized defaults with that CPU installed yet? If not you MUST

Hey, sorry about that speedstep comment, your CPU is supposed to be 2.5ghz. Since you are seeing the red box when you go into the BIOS that means your setting changes are not being applied so you either have something to tight or not enough voltage to something so the 402 FSB change is not being made (But it may still be shown in the BIOS so it looks like it is, when it is not)

What does CPU-z show you for voltage being used now? You may need to set it higher, but likely not. I just wonder how much a drop you have from BIOS to windows

Comment

1.184 in cpu-z and 1.2 set in BIOS? Are you sure? If so that is a small drop actually, but it may be larger at higher voltage though

Comment

No, BIOS was at 1.22500v and cpu-z was showing sometimes 1.184v or 1.200v.

I tried a few different voltages but none has worked yet:
        started @ 1.22500V
        1.30000v no luck
        1.30625v no luck
        1.35000v no luck
        and when I tried 1.35625v, saved that when system reboot it reset everything to the factory defaults.
        Correct me if am wrong, but am guessing that the voltage should be somewhere below 1.35000v.

also, would I need to good fan for this overclocking? I have the stock Intel fan which came with the processor or does it really not matter. With the difficulties am having, I wouldn't be trying any overclocking above 3.0GHz.

Comment

Well for under 3Ghz you should not need to use 1.35 or so I would think. I use 1.32 actual for 4Ghz

Try the settings again on page one with these changes and see if you get booted thru, these will be very loose but you can lower them later (If this does not boot, you may have some bad ram. Have you tested each stick at stock speed, timings and voltages one by one yet to be sure you do not have DOA Stick?) >>>

tRRD........................................... 6
          tWTR.......................................... 14
          tWR............................................ 16
          tRFC........................................... 68
          tRTP...........................................6
          Command Rate (CMD) .................... 2

Driving Strength Profiles
          Driving Strength ............................1066 or 1200 (1200 may be best)

Channel A & B
          Static tRead Value.........................:12

Comment

No I have not tested the RAM. Can you recommend a utility to do this.
            I entered those other setting you just gave, but northing ... the only thing I notice is that the system is going through alot of boot restarts and shut downs, sometimes 4 or 5 at a time.
            I think am messing around with the voltages too much. I don't want to end up screwing up the processor.

by-the-way, does the CPU host frequency (Mhz) must always remain at 333.
            I ask because with all the settings I have entered, it never changes. I read in this article that when the processor is overclocked, it should change to something higher.
            In this article, HotHardware takes a detailed look at the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Processor. The Q9300 is Intel's least expensive, 45nm quad-core - Page 2

My cpu host clock control is always at [Disabled]. Should I set the Frequency first before disabling?

Note:
            I got a hold of Memtest86+ v2.01 and tested my memory sticks ... came back with no errors.
            Last edited by bhagiratha; 10-26-2008, 02:55 PM. Reason: note

Comment

Test ram with this, one stick at a time at stock set speeds, main timings manually set and manually set Ram voltage >>>
              Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

A double reboot is normal, a triple or more is not and means incorrect settings. Test your ram so you can be sure both sticks are good.

You have to leave that Enabled if you want to change your FSB

I see you got memtest, did you test each stick by itself for a few hours? If not please do

Comment

Earlier I tested both sticks together ... later when I get some more time I will test each stick separate.
                also, I installed vista ultimate x64 on another drive I had and tested the sleep function. works like a charm!!!

Comment

I finished testing the RAM, one by one and there was no errors.

What now? should I give up on this overclocking venture?

Comment

NO! HAHA

Give me your settings you are trying that fail and I will try to help you some more. Never give up, that will not get you anywhere

Comment

Hey Lsdmeasap,
                      I made a break through last night and went over my overclocking notes and tried again with some changes, and guess what ... I managed to successfully get the system to overclock at 3.02GHz with a 402MHz bus. Am at work now, but I will post some shots later.
                      You the greatest ... cannot thank you enough for all your assistance.

Comment

Those are my settings:
                        Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                        NO! HAHA

Give me your settings you are trying that fail and I will try to help you some more. Never give up, that will not get you anywhere

Comment

Nice to see you did not just give up! I told you that you would get it!

To clock higher you just need to raise your FSB (CPU host clock control) and likely CPU Voltage (but you do that after you start to fail) just raise FSB a little at a time until it fails then you know you need more voltage or other adjustments. Did you read the guide about overclocking?

Settings look good, maybe a bit more MCH before you go any higher

Comment

A few days ago I took the processor up to 3.20GHz.

tried going to 3.25Ghz, but system was unstable. Choppy video with crashes.

Comment

Choppy video? Maybe you need a better card? Could be any number of things though really, did you memtest the ram before you tried to use the system? If not and the ram was failing then that could cause issues as you are seeing as well

Comment

Working...
                              X