Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: tRD "Performance" bios bug?

Hmm, Odd. You should be able to use 6.5 for sure

Ya, I had a long discussion with daviddavisleesomething about that as well when he bought one. I guess I never noticed on mine, I used 450 FSB always and 2.00

Comment

When selecting Auto for the System Memory Multipler the BIOS is selecting certain memory configurations. With the Performance Enhance set to Turbo the Bios will program an aggressive setting, which means a lower tRD and maybe higher MCH voltage if set in auto.

Manually selecting the System Memory Multipler makes the Bios sense the system is overclocking, which should give less aggressive settings, which is a higher tRD value for a sucessful boot. My P35 board starts giving warnings when maually selecting the Memory Multipler as it does when sensing the system is being set to overclock. Set your system to not overclock or standard and see if your board does the same.

There is nothing wrong with this conservative approach and makes sense when you think about it. Especially since there is the option to set the tRD value as aggressively as desired or rather as much as possible.

When the Bios senses an overclock situation it also warns to set Performance Enhance to standard, which does set less agressive memory timings. Maybe you are also setting PE to standard when choosing the memory multipler???

Comment

What is confusing is once you have set your values, saved, rebooted and re-entered the bios, the suggested system settings are still the same.

Now I know whilst overclocking and checking Voltages etc with that method, that indeed settings change once you have saved in bios. But the setting tRD only changes on it's "trip" to windows from 7 to 9 in my scenario. (see first post)
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
          What is confusing is once you have set your values, saved, rebooted and re-entered the bios, the suggested system settings are still the same.

Now I know whilst overclocking and checking Voltages etc with that method, that indeed settings change once you have saved in bios. But the setting tRD only changes on it's "trip" to windows from 7 to 9 in my scenario. (see first post)
          I saw the first post and tRD changes from 7 to 9 when manually setting the multipler from auto and keeping the advanced tRD setting at auto.

Setup b
          MIT Section-------------------------------->Windows MemSet 3.5

System Memory Multiplier = 2.40
          (800Mhz)

tRD (7) Auto-------------------------------->tRD = 9

Now with that in mind re-read what I posted.

Edit To help clarify: Setting PE to Standard from Turbo will change tRD to a higher value if tRD is set to auto.

If you haven't changed PE then setting the multipler manually with tRD in auto will also set the value higher as you have noticed.

Also the left colum in the Bios is SPD not the setting. The setting is the right hand colum and if set to Auto will be set by the Bios. When the Bios sets the value it could or could not be the SPD value.

Also note in the Memory sticky you can set the advanced memory settings to a certain value and it could still be set to a different value by the Bios or MemSet is reading the value incorrectly.
          Last edited by Merman; 10-23-2008, 01:37 PM.

Comment

I always have "Performance Enhance" set to Standard, whatever the setup.
            GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
              I always have "Performance Enhance" set to Standard, whatever the setup.
              The stock setting is Turbo, which does set the memory settings faster than Standard. Extreme is even more aggressive and sets memory voltage higher than stock too.

Standard is the conservative setting and that is why it is recommended and for more than a modest overclock needed to be set for overclocking.

Comment

Originally posted by Merman View Post
                The stock setting is Turbo, which does set the memory settings faster than Standard. Extreme is even more aggressive and sets memory voltage higher than stock too.

Standard is the conservative setting and that is why it is recommended and for more than a modest overclock needed to be set for overclocking.
                and?

Not sure on what you are trying to say in regard to the thread, short of being informative on the wider subject.
                My initial post was in reference to Performace Enhance always being set to Standard in each of my observations and in every setup.

Comment

Working...
                X