No announcement yet.

Can someone confirm my power supply is up the creek?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can someone confirm my power supply is up the creek?!

P&PC make top of the line though, so if the user has the cash I would get it. Well worth the money, if you have it. If you do not, yes there are many lesser quality choices

*EDIT*

Good choice since it seems you have the cash!
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-29-2008, 10:42 AM.

Comment

well, i had the cash... just means i won't be ing quite as much this month!

if its got a 5 year manufacturers warranty, it seems the better choice otherwise i'll be doing this all over again in a couple of years!

Comment

Originally posted by dylan0451 View Post
        well, i had the cash... just means i won't be ing quite as much this month!

if its got a 5 year manufacturers warranty, it seems the better choice otherwise i'll be doing this all over again in a couple of years!
        Was the P&PC cheaper than the HX520 then?

just going back to the cpu voltage....does that then mean, hypothetically, say i put in the bios cpu voltage 1.4v then in windows the drop then read 1.3620v that it would be operating within intel specs, or would i actually still be putting 1.4v through it?!
        Hypothetically and if all the voltages were being read accurately too, then yes your "1.3620" would be the voltage across the CPU.

As you increase the Voltage the current rises too, so if the CPU voltage regulator or the motherboard isn't the best (say 4 layer instead of 6 or more) then the volt drop will increase. This will be most noticeable at times of heavy load.

The problem for Motherboard designers/engineers is we are talking about a very low voltage, with high current loading (ie modern CPU's). Varying current draw say between 30 - 100amps (for example) needs an exceptionally stable regulator to keep the voltage from deviating. And when you are running at just say 1.2 volts with a tight range, it doesn't take a very big percentage swing to drastically vary your voltage out of tolerance.
        Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-29-2008, 11:40 AM.
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

silencer 750 was about £20 more expensive, but then, if it survives to power another upgrade then thats fine by me!

couldn't get the pc to last long enough to download memset - i think the video card OC finally tipped the scales and pushed my existing psu too far!

hopefully the new psu will arrive today, so i'll swap over tonight and hopefully all will be well.

shall get memset going however so as to interrogate ram subtimings to get an idea what auto settings should be set to.

cheers for all the replies!

Comment

just going back to the cpu voltage....does that then mean, hypothetically, say i put in the bios cpu voltage 1.4v then in windows the drop then read 1.3620v that it would be operating within intel specs, or would i actually still be putting 1.4v through it?!
            Setting 1.4 in Bios will let the CPU run at lower voltage because of V-offset and V-droop but will allow voltage spikes to 1.4 volts and more, which is allowed for short periods per Intel specifications.

The spec is to 1.3620v and the decision is yours. Some extreme overclockers feel that 1.4 and 1.45v is safe. Intel does not say that. No one knows for sure, only time and experience will tell.

I'm sure the rest of the community is getting tired of this graph but this is the way it works.

As intended, Voffset and Vdroop ensure that the supply voltage never exceeds CPU VID

AnandTech: Overclocking Intel's New 45nm QX9650: The Rules Have Changed

Comment

That graph makes things x9.5 (!) easier to understand...

from the anandtech link provided at the bottom of your post i quote the paragraph of text which was below the posted graph:

"The CPU VID setting establishes the absolute maximum allowable processor supply voltage experienced during transient conditions and is not the target idle voltage. We hope this statement draws attention to this important distinction, as many believe the opposite to be true - a mistake all too commonly made. Together, Vdroop and Voffset ensure that the peak CPU supply voltage seen during heavy to light loading changes remains well below the established maximum. If you determine that 1.17V, as in the case above, is not sufficient for maintaining CPU stability under load, simply increasing the CPU VID does correct the problem."

so voffset is dynamic, its amount of bounce linked to voltage regulator quality, and max value limited by CPU VID right....

so the actual figure that you adjust in the bios is VID, which intel advises against figures higher than 1.3625v?

if so, how is target idle voltage derived?

Comment

Good question!

I can find the VID range for a particular CPU, I can even find the Max VID that Intel have set for my CPU, yet I can't find or (don't know yet) how a nominal working figure is derived.

As far as the chart goes above, it is just highlighting what takes place in electronics, especially when there is a heavy load being switched on and off, it certainly isn't CPU specfic.
                The Peak difference shown in that chart is 20mv (ie from nominal to next peak).

However, pick a data sheet, any Intel CPU Data sheet and search for "Absolute maximum Ratings" in the pdf document.
                You will see Max "VCC" is well above the maximum VID for the CPU because it has to be! There has to be a maximum ceiling, ie a reasonable level over the highest normal working voltage for a given CPU. So the chances of a voltage peak reaching the Absolute maximum are unlikely if choosing a higher/overclock voltage in the VID range.
                Obviously going way above that and setting the voltage in an area below the Absolute maximum could easily see voltage peaks exceed that max value (as per the graph above) and end up damaging the CPU very quickly.

But we do the same with memory too.... Take DDR2, if you look at Micron FBGA chips that are fabricated onto DDR module PCB's for Crucial and other memory manufacturers, many in their current range have a Absolute Maximum Rating of 2.3volts. So when Module manufacturers guarantee voltages as high as 2.2 or 2.25volts it's they that are hoping that the bulk of their customers won't push the modules that high to the edge of Absolute Maximum - especially when some offer a lifetime guarantee.
                Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-30-2008, 08:44 AM.
                GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

well, the silencer 750 is in... problem solved.

it's pretty silent funnily enough....

turns out my old supply was jeantech, 460w with a 500w peak aswell
                  Last edited by dylan0451; 09-30-2008, 04:08 PM.

Comment

So, all working as it should now then I take it? If so, great to hear it!

Originally posted by dylan0451
                    Hi there buddy,
                    I'm PM'ing in reply to your offer to see if my cheapo ram can do anything better than its set to. bios settings below - think i've managed to get 5-5-5-15 stable ok but i'm not sure about fiddling with the subtimings and screwing up my xp install!
                    just got my pc p&c silencer 750 - turns out my old one was a jeantech 460w (continuous) ! I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did!
                    feel free to post in the thread if you have a spare minute, i notice you get across almost the whole board so you must be pretty busy, this bios knowledge just a hobby/gained via overclocking or are you in the trade?

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/can-...97/index2.html

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
                    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
                    Fine CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [0.5]
                    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
                    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [395]
                    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
                    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
                    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
                    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
                    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
                    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
                    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12/15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
                    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3-6
                    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-6
                    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 48-52
                    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-5
                    Static tRead Value_______________ 8 [auto] <<< 6 << At 800 or lower, 6 may or may not boot. May cause HARD FAIL and need CMOS clear. Suggested >>> (7-10)

Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 0 [auto] << always leave

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.1V] << may need .2 for tighter timings, up to you

PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
                    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
                    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V] << Maybe less 1.25-1.5
                    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.3250V]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Disabled]
                    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

cheers for all the help past + present - I'll attach mem set pic below

Ya, I work in A PC shop, and it has been my life trade. So I know quite a bit about overclocking, but by far am not a "Expert" like many users I know around the net

Can you give me a link to this specific ram? If not, can you for sure say what speed it is? Maybe show the SPD tab of CPU-z as well, and the EPP section of the memset SPD Tab if there is a EPP section in the dropdown menu. Being budget, you may not get much farther with it then what you have. Suggested things to try added into your PM quoted above

Comment

so voffset is dynamic, its amount of bounce linked to voltage regulator quality, and max value limited by CPU VID right....

so the actual figure that you adjust in the bios is VID, which intel advises against figures higher than 1.3625v?

It is really the bios vid as vid is dynamic and yes Intel advises 1.3625v for your CPU.

Target idle voltage is as you now know the bios voltage after V-offset. Since you already know the current offset use that amount to compute what you want. After that it is just trial and error using CPUZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Merman View Post
                        It is really the bios vid as vid is dynamic and yes Intel advises 1.3625v for your CPU.

Target idle voltage is as you now know the bios voltage after V-offset. Since you already know the current offset use that amount to compute what you want. After that it is just trial and error using CPUZ.
                        ahh, i see... so when people quote what sound like great low voltage over clocks they're actually quoting idle voltage after v-offset rather than VID....

Originally posted by svcglobal View Post
                        Wow! What you are doing with your E7200? 1.3250v?
                        Typo error or are you trying to suicide your CPU?

Bring down that BIOS voltage to 1.27, max. Probably your issue is related to temperature shutdown.
                        I'm still a bit confused with this post then, surely the voltage i'm running it at is safe?! if a max voltage spike cannot exist past 1.3250v then thats miles away from intel max 1.3625v....
                        i do intend to see how low i can get the cpu voltage stable as it seems pointless not to! however a bios voltage of 1.27v would give an approx cpu-z idle of 1.24v and load of 1.225v which seem a bit hopeful?!

LSDmeasap:

cheers for those recomended settings i'll give them a go tonight + try to post up some memset screens.

one thing though, I've noticed most people have No-Execute Memory Protect set to ENABLED wheras mine is disabled, is this anything worth changing?

static TRead value is called performance value/mode something in memset right? if so i'm sure i remember it read as being 12 which seems high, but again, will first try 7 as you suggest and put it hrough some memory torture with all the auto settings revised.

I'm pretty sure the cpu-z tab timings table shows timings of:

3-3-3-9 @266fsb
                        4-4-4-12 @333fsb
                        5-5-5-15 @ 400fsb
                        Last edited by dylan0451; 10-01-2008, 03:49 AM.

Comment

You can leave it disabled if you like, but it is a security feature so you are better off with it enabled

Yeap Static tRead Value AKA TRD is Performance Level in Memset. You may need to use 8 at first

I would like to see pics if possible of that tab, and the available tabs in Memset (EPP if it is there, if not no need as all will be shown on CPU-z's SPD tab anyway) when you get time of course

Comment

cheers,

when i get home I'll post pics up of memset + cpu-z as the settings stand, then I'll try the manual settings and post up pics of those should they be stable

Comment

K, Good luck I will see ya this afternoon or tonight

Comment

Ok LSD...

this pic is of current timings with the settings mentioned above (maybe the previous page?!) with some on auto.

I'll give the settings you suggested a go and hopefully if all boots well I'll post up a memset + cpuz of those also
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X