GA-EP35C-DSR3 non-speaker clicking/buzzing/humming issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP35C-DSR3 non-speaker clicking/buzzing/humming issue

Hi folks. My motherboard took a crap and died on Saturday, so I went to visit my local MicroCenter and part out a new motherboard, and while I was at it, a new CPU. The whole setup is as follows:

Anyhoo, I get it all hooked up and it's running fine, but there's a buzzing noise. I thought it was coming out of one of my two hard drives, but I put my ear next to it, and the buzzing was coming from somewhere else. It is not coming out of the speakers, as I have my own separate sound card.

The buzzing happens constantly when I'm idling in Windows, and stops for a split-second when the screen is refreshed (scrolling down a web site, download rates changing, clicking on an icon/link). It does not buzz when I'm idling in the BIOS, or when the computer is booting to Windows. The problem was consistent when I was using BIOS 1, and is still happening with 4a.

I tried updating the drivers from the Gigabyte website to no avail. I've also tried determining where the sound is coming from, and it's on the motherboard for sure. No adverse effects from the buzzing, it's just irritating. I can easily keep music on at a volume that would drown out the buzzing (it's not too loud), but I'd rather fix the problem.

Thanks for looking guys. I can provide more information if you need it.

Re: GA-EP35C-DSR3 non-speaker clicking/buzzing/humming issue

Are you SURE it is not your GFX card/cards fan?

Buzzing can mean a bad capacitor, you may want to RMA before you do not have the time if you bought at newegg

You may also want to see this thread >>>

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/p35-...6/index21.html

Comment

I bought it from MicroCenter on Saturday, so I'm hoping I can exchange it if they have more in stock, provided there's a bad capacitor somewhere. I have the opportunity to try a different graphics card, so maybe I'll do that this evening. If that's what it turns out to be, then I'mma swap it out. That'll give me another chance to work on my poor cable management skills.

Thanks, LSD!

Holy crap, as I was writing this, I was firing up CPU-Z, and it looks like the multiplier for my CPU is changing based on system load. This might be it, as it stops buzzing when the multiplier goes from 6 to 9! I didn't install the DES software, so what's making this happen?

Comment

Originally posted by scuzzer View Post
        I bought it from MicroCenter on Saturday, so I'm hoping I can exchange it if they have more in stock, provided there's a bad capacitor somewhere. I have the opportunity to try a different graphics card, so maybe I'll do that this evening. If that's what it turns out to be, then I'mma swap it out. That'll give me another chance to work on my poor cable management skills.

Thanks, LSD!

Holy crap, as I was writing this, I was firing up CPU-Z, and it looks like the multiplier for my CPU is changing based on system load. This might be it, as it stops buzzing when the multiplier goes from 6 to 9! I didn't install the DES software, so what's making this happen?
        The multiplier on newer Intel CPU's is supposed to do that in Windows!

Launch Cpu-z, then let windows idle, ie doing nothing and watch the multiplier. Then launch an application that won't hide Cpu-z and you'll see the multiplier go to it's CPU ceiling.

As for the noise, it is most likely an inductor either on the motherboard or on the graphics card making the noise. I've had to "lock" inductors before with Varnish or epoxy glue.

To check for the area of noise. If you have a graphics card with a seperate power plug, the inductors attached to that can make a noise as the screen changes, say from 2d to 3d. Or on motherboards the power inductors are commonly either around the CPU VRM or near to the atx 12 volt 4/8 pin plug.

If it's not a case speaker making the noise, it's likely either one of these inductors, on the Motherboard, graphics card or within the Power supply.

What usually happens is that the inductor (coils of wire) "ring" in symapthy with the frequencies they are there to iron out. It's only when the coils haven't been locked with varnish etc, or aren't as tight as they could be that the ringing in certain situations ie different loads can be heard. The type of inductor used on a motherboard usually consists of (for instance) a dozen turns of thick gauge copper on a ferrite core. Some of the newer types are sealed, which helps prevent noise.

Basically when ANY certain specific scenario is recreated, ie when the Power Supply, Motherboard and Graphics card etc are creating/supporting a specific current load then one of these Inductors can/may "ring". So much so, that you'll always know instinctively as to when it will do it.

My GA-P35C-DS3R/GTS 8800 512 does it when going between modes in one test in 3d Vantage - it is ultra specific.
        I have other makes of boards that do it too.

On an older board a constant ringing ie far less specific could be down to an electrolytic capacitor that has gone faulty, ie leaked or gone completely O/C, but that is usually a sympton of age.

If your board/setup doesn't do it all the time and you can more or less predict/know when it will do it, then I would say that would be normal and just one of those electronic things that can and does happen.
        Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-17-2008, 04:51 PM.
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Hi there,

I've had this clicking/buzzing sound on and off since April of 08, when I bought my DS3L board. Every time I upgraded hardware, it would come back, then disappear a few weeks later. I've finally figured out how to fix it. Skip to the bottom for the fix if you don't want to read how I figured it out.

When I built my e6750/DS3L box in April 08, I was really dismayed to find that it made a buzzing sound when I moved the mouse. It sounded like a very loud hard drive seeking sound, but it obviously didn't originate near the HD cage. I honestly didn't know what it could be because CPUs, RAM modules, chipsets, etc. don't make noises like that. Googling turned up nothing except people whose headphones and speakers had static sounds while moving their mice. I figured I really messed up my build because obviously someone, somewhere would have had a similar problem...

Eventually I forgot about the sound and started enjoying my first big PC upgrade in a good few years. I'd say the sound disappeared after 3 or 4 weeks. A few months later I bought a bunch of hard drives, and the f'ing sound returned. I was convinced it was static electricity damage I had inflicted during the initial build, and it kept flaring up when I upgraded stuff. As little sense as that makes, it was the only explanation I had at the time.

Last week I got a bunch of upgrades from Boxing Day sales, including a case and PSU. When I put everything back together in the sexy new case, the sound was back with a vengeance. Not only was it literally twice as loud, it also occurred whenever a program access memory (so the sound was more or less constant when I was at my computer). I was initially convinced that, because there was a horrendous squeal every time I loaded a big file, that my hard drives had somehow been damaged. When you've had a mysterious problem that seems unique for over 8 months, you start doubting your PC building skillz... Now I was just pissed, and started on a quest to kill the sound once and for all.

Careful investigation revealed the hard drives were just fine, and the buzzing/clicking/squealing sounds were originating from the CPU area still. The first thing I had noticed when the sound appeared back in April was that putting a heavy load on the CPU shut the sound up completely. This was still true for the new squealing sound and its old buddies, buzzing and clicking. Because the sound occurred during RAM access, I figured the RAM was at fault, but who's hear of RAM making noise? I also had to include the VRMs in my investigation.

After 2 laps of MemTest and narry a whisper out of my motherboard, I knew the RAM wasn't the problem. The only nagging thing left was that my CPU voltage would fluctuate when idle due to Speedstep. I disabled C1E and EIST... HOLY S*** THE SOUND WAS GONE. All that fruitless troubleshooting and anxiety, and it was the bloody environmentalists that were at fault.

So apparently Gigabyte motherboards have lousy VRMs which can't handle the fluctuating voltage inherent with Speedstep. I have no idea why moving my mouse triggered the sound, but everything's fixed and silent now.

HOW TO FIX THE NOISE

Reboot.
          Mash Delete until you get into the BIOS.
          Go to "Advanced Features"
          Change "CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to Disabled.
          Change "CPU EIST Function" to Disabled.
          Hit Esc.
          Hit F10.
          Make sure it says Y, then press Enter.

Your CPU should now run at 8x (or 9x, depending on model) multiplier rather than dropping down to 6x at low CPU usage. This uses more power, but probably not a lot more. The sound should have completely disappeared.

Here's a picture if you like visuals:
          http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6458/biosny5.jpg

(No, I didn't steal it from a Google Images search...why do you ask?:P)

Comment

Like I said in the post (above), you don't actually fix the noise you just alter the scenario, ie the loading on the board. You'll likely find C1 proper is still being used by the OS.

& covered here recently.
            http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-e...-coming-29196/
            Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-04-2009, 06:30 AM.
            GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

I just RMA'd my board for this issue(EP45-UD3P), glad I'm not the only one or crazy, lol.

Mine only did it at idle under low power state, it was annoying and i use my computer at this low state alot when downloading things or on the internet or watching movies.

Edit: BTW its not my PSU or Video card as these were working fine on my old DFI board which I am now using again till I get the RMA back(no noise here). Maybe I just need to get a Quad and then it will be different and hopefully no noise?
              Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 01-05-2009, 01:15 AM.
              New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Comment

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
                Like I said in the post (above), you don't actually fix the noise you just alter the scenario, ie the loading on the board. You'll likely find C1 proper is still being used by the OS.

& covered here recently.
                http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-e...-coming-29196/
                You're right - it's not actually a fix, but it's as close as you can get without voiding your warranty.

Assuming someone has the knowledge and parts to replace the electronics at fault, the warranty would be voided. Raising the voltage the CPU runs at or disabling C1E will stop the noise from occurring, and neither will void your warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by nty_don View Post
                  You're right - it's not actually a fix, but it's as close as you can get without voiding your warranty.

Assuming someone has the knowledge and parts to replace the electronics at fault, the warranty would be voided. Raising the voltage the CPU runs at or disabling C1E will stop the noise from occurring, and neither will void your warranty.
                  The parts aren't technically "at fault" because the noise they sometimes emit under specfic conditions is a by product of the task they perform. So it could be down to pricing/sourcing/general quality etc.
                  You could buy another make/model of board and it could likely do the same thing albeit under different conditions. It's just one of those things that happens when parts are supplied on a mass scale and to an aggressively competitive market.

In the past I've wound my own chokes for different projects, but it's hard to stop the winding from "ringing" on the core without anything like Varnish (or hot glue these days) to "lock it".

I've had all types of choke on Motherboards (from several makes) make a noise at some point. Sometimes the scenario that makes a setup eminate noise might be totally rare or outside the scope of common operation of the PC. Other times it can happen when the PC is in just general light use, or visa versa.

When the Chokes were the "open" type (traditional) on motherboards you could use something like Varnish/Epoxy/Hot glue just to lock them - just a locking "line" would be enough. These days some of them are semi sealed and some fully sealed, which makes them difficult or impossible to "service" in anyway - and of course as you pointed out, either which way it will invalidate your warranty.

Comment

A Recent experience... I just bought a New Gigabyte board. For a week I thought a noise(slight whinning, chattering just enough to catch my attention) was coming form my board(CPU area) when my CPU stepped up, ie..start a program or cursor up and down on IExplorer. Read about ferrite chokes in another thread in this forum and swore that it was from the motherboard. Read a little more and some had suggested to check the the video card and power supply also. Did some troubleshooting. Pulled out one on my (2) video cards and the noise went away. So mine was one the video cards.

Comment

Originally posted by gigafan200 View Post
                      A Recent experience... I just bought a New Gigabyte board. For a week I thought a noise(slight whinning, chattering just enough to catch my attention) was coming form my board(CPU area) when my CPU stepped up, ie..start a program or cursor up and down on IExplorer. Read about ferrite chokes in another thread in this forum and swore that it was from the motherboard. Read a little more and some had suggested to check the the video card and power supply also. Did some troubleshooting. Pulled out one on my (2) video cards and the noise went away. So mine was one the video cards.
                      Yep, Graphics cards have chokes too, but unless you definately located the source of the noise, the removal of one of the graphics cards would have altered the loading on the PSU and Motherboard, which inturn would alter the specific circumstances as to when the noise scenario would appear.

A specific change in the hardware combination in a particular setup could make the noise dissappear, ie a different CPU (so the VRM loading is different), or a different GPU (so the PSU/board loading is different) or even a different PSU. And as there are so many hardware combinations out there (even with the same board), not everyone will have a "noise" issue.
                      Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-05-2009, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nty_don View Post
                        HOW TO FIX THE NOISE

Reboot.
                        Mash Delete until you get into the BIOS.
                        Go to "Advanced Features"
                        Change "CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to Disabled.
                        Change "CPU EIST Function" to Disabled.
                        Hit Esc.
                        Hit F10.
                        Make sure it says Y, then press Enter.

Your CPU should now run at 8x (or 9x, depending on model) multiplier rather than dropping down to 6x at low CPU usage. This uses more power, but probably not a lot more. The sound should have completely disappeared.
                        Thank you very much for posting this information! You are my hero!

I've had my new computer for little over two months and the high frequency noise was driving me crazy. My bios isn't the same as yours but I did have the C1E and when I disabled that f***er the noise was no more. Hurray!!!

My Computer: ASUS P6T Deluxe X58 S-1366, INTEL CORE I7 940 2.93GHZ, ASUS Radeon HD4850 1GB GDDR3, Corsair 6GB DDR3 XMS3

Sincerely
                        LarsErik

Comment

Originally posted by gigafan200 View Post
                          Update...Installed my old Antec 500W PSU, originally had a 1000W Ultra. All noise went away. The PSU was incompatible with my hardware combo as per Ultra. Hope this helps someone.

Comment

I had the same problem with the noise when the CPU was idle and the multiplier changed from 9 to 6.
                            I tried to disable the C1E and EIST options from BIOS and it worked, no more noise. The problem is that now the CPU runs at the maximum frequency all the time (even if it is not required), so it generates more heat and the fan runs at higher speed (~1500 instead of 1300 RPM). So no more interference noise, but more noise from the fan.
                            I didn't like this solution, so I searched more and I found in another thread that lowering the voltage for the CPU will have the same effect (http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-e...l-noise-27794/). So I enabled back the C1E and EIST and lowered the CPU voltage from 1.3 V to 1.25 V and magic, after one year of frustrations, no more noise

Comment

Yes, It often only requires a very subtle change for the noise to go away as when the chokes are loaded very slighly differently it is enough to stop them "ringing" and causing us to hear that annoying sound.

Any change that is made in respect to the CPU loading ie the current it draws can have the same affect in "moving" that noise "sweet spot" to another operating range that you don't operate the PC in, hence you'll not hear the noise.

Comment

Working...
                              X