No announcement yet.

BIOS Pause After PSU Shutoff - Normal??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIOS Pause After PSU Shutoff - Normal??

If I just shut my system down and restart later, I get a normal POST beep, the Gigabyte splash screen, and then the system boots Vista...all very normal. However, if I completely remove the system from power, like unplugging the PSU, and then connect things back up, when I power on, the machine comes on, then goes quiet for a second or two, then spins up again and boots as normal. This is the kind of behavior you would expect if you'd made some BIOS changes, but all I'm doing is removing and reconnecting the power cord. Is this pause and restart of BIOS normal under these conditions?
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
    Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Re: BIOS Pause After PSU Shutoff - Normal??

lol this is happening to me but when I first boot!

Comment

It may just be the DMI recharging and getting your CMOS settings again like if the battery got drained or something? How long of a unplug/replug are we talking here?

I Am not sure though really.

I would think it is ok though for two reasons. One you didn't say your settings were reverted to default, and two you dont unplug your System daily anyway...... So you would likely not see that unless you were messing around as you have been!

J/K

Na, Never heard of that unless settings were incorrect. But that description normally would be applied to a power on, not a unplug/replug of the power cord. Most people do not do that so I would never hear about it.

Comment

Well, the background explanation here is that I have been working on this new system for my daughter, so I just pull my case out, put hers in the same spot and plug in all the cables, etc. When I need to use my system, I just pull the test computer out and plug my system in. Very easy and convenient...however, it does require that I unplug my system from the power cord, no?
        Generally, it could be a few hours before I plug my system back in again. I have noticed this double BIOS boot every time. But normal power-off and on doesn't do it. So I've gone into BIOS to check the settings, and they all seem exactly the same! (As you know, I am intimately familiar with every damn setting by now...) It claims to achieve "update success" when it does the double boot, but the settings do not change.
        Ok, one more bizarre and unexplainable quirk about this motherboard. I am totally over all the "fun" of fiddling with motherboards....
        Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
        Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

Probably also the PSU is culprit of that boot behavior. Do you have another different one, just to clarify?
          Last edited by svcglobal; 09-11-2008, 03:45 PM.
          GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
          i5-4690K + Corsair H90
          Sapphire Radeon R7 240
          16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
          Corsair CX750M
          Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

Update success means your settings have been applied. So it is likely what I said before about since it has the power removed, and the cord for so long the cmos is cleared from being without power for so long and has to reprogram itself is all.

Don't you have a PSU for each system yet? If so you should leave hers plugged in and you wont see this issue

But I do think that is all it is, without power or a PSU that has stored power the CMOS and DMI pool is cleared and must be updated after power is restored

Comment

Working...
            X