This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Well Bootable USB is not needed with Qflash, at all. Just enter Qflash using the END key at boot or the F8 key while on the MAIN page of the BIOS.

Then all you need it the .Fxx file on a USB, nothing else is needed. And the USB does not need to be a bootable USB, just formatted FAT32/16 or 12
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-14-2008, 06:55 PM.

Comment

owh ok.i understand now. i'll post again after done updating my BIOS.

Comment

K, Good luck!

Ya, the bootable USB method was only posted for those who cannot get a USB stick to be found in Qflash for some reason. Most of the time it was just because they forgot to leave the USB stick in when rebooting to Qflash, or did not format the USB stick, Or Did not look thru all "Disks/HDD/Drives" shown to them by Qflash, or Did not have Legacy USB Storage Detect Enabled in the Integrated Peripherals Page.

If you formatted your USB Stick to FAT32, then all you need to do is add the .Fxx file onto it, leave it in and reboot to Qflash. Then look at all the Options it shows you as places to open and look for a BIOS file. I often see HDD for my USB sticks, as shown on page one

Comment

Hi,

Now that you have the EP45-DS4P ... its online manual shows
          CLR_CMOS jumper and CMOS_SW switch side-by-side
          but only explains the use of CLR_CMOS (and so does this thread).

Is the CMOS_SW just a marketing thing, or could one actually use it?

Comment

Yes, you can use it. I am not sure how long you have to hold it in, but I tested it the day I installed when I was flashing My BIOS and it seemed to clear it just fine. I held it down for about 10 seconds I think. With the board plugged in of course

The jumper method will still apply as well, but seems the switch works. Not sure how that will be when a Clear CMOS is for sure needed because of actual problems though?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
              I tested it the day I installed when I was flashing My BIOS and it seemed to clear it just fine. I held it down for about 10 seconds I think. With the board plugged in of course
              As in:
              1. Shut down your System, and let it rest for 30 seconds to a minute.
              2. Unplug the Power Supply from the wall.
              3. Press CMOS_SW for [unspecified] time.
              4. Replug PSU.
              5. Load Optimized Defaults
              6. Restore customized values (like RAID mode).
              7. pray
              ???

(I don't want to err on "obvious" details.)

Comment

No, As is this is what I did >>>
                1. Shut down your System, and let it rest for 30 seconds to a minute.
                2. Press CMOS_SW for 10-15 seconds.
                3. Restarted PC to see if CMOS was cleared, it was.
                4. Flashed New BIOS.
                4. Load Optimized Defaults.
                6. Restore customized values (like RAID mode).

You will be fine for sure, it is a nice feature. I wish the would have documented it a bit more then just the image and description they did in the BIOS though. Like how long it must be held in would have been nice.

I do know you can use it without the power plugged in as well, I just tested with it plugged in to see how it worked

Comment

Thanks. Did work, I presume (writing this am I).

Comment

HAHA

Ya, It is a nice feature! Especially when you are working out of the case!

I am glad they added it, adds to the overall looks and quality of the board as well

Comment

Not sure if I should post here or start new thread, but here goes...

I cannot for the life of me flash any BIOS version other than F3 to my board. I have a GA-EP35C-DS3R (see sig), and use a usb thumbdrive and QFlash to do the flashing.

I was wanting to try the F4a, but every time I try to load it, I get the "BIOS ID Check error." I have tried flashing F2 just to see if I could, and it does not work, either.

I have also tried loading the BIOS from an SD card in a USB adapter, with no luck. Anybody out there with this board have the same problem? Any ideas, suggestions?
                      GA-P55-UD3R, Intel Core i5, Corsair H50, 2 x 2GB mushkin Enhanced DDR3 1600, 2x Radeon HD 5770 Crossfire, Antec P180 case, Antec True Power Quattro 850W PSU, Western Digital Raptor X 150GB 10kRPM SATA HDD, Western Digital Caviar SE16 750GB 7200RPM STATII HDD, Samsung 20X DVD±R, Acer 24" LCD, Logitech G11 Gaming KB, Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse

Comment

Are you SURE you are trying the correct BIOS for your board model and revision? Here is the exact page you should be using >>>
                        GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP35C-DS3R (rev. 2.1)

*EDIT*
                        I guess you cannot go wrong as there is only one revision, so ignore that thought

When do you see this error? And are you sure it is not a error after the flash that says BIOS CheckSum error? If it is After the flash that is normal and you just go in and load optimized defaults. If it is before the flash then yeah you have a issue, with either your ram or your USB stick

What you can do is make a FAT32 partition on the end (Right side) of your hard drive and flash from there with Qflash. Here is a freeware Partition program if you want to do this. BE SURE you move ONLY the RIGHT Side of the disk, not from the left >>>
                        Download EASEUS Partition Manager, EASEUS Partition Manager 2.0 Download

Here is a Little walk thru I made with this program for another member to do the same >>>
                        http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/two-...07/index2.html

Is your ram memtest86+ stable? If it is not then that is why >>>
                        Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Are you loading Optimized defaults and setting ram voltages before trying to flash? If not please do so, you may also want to use only one stick of ram while you flash

Comment

Lsdmeasap, what is your opinion on using a beta BIOS? Is it a good idea or it can it only lead to headaches?
                          My mobo's latest BIOS is a beta: f6a for the gigabyte ga-ex38-ds4.

Comment

It is really up to you, you may want to try it out. Beta's are not for those who do not like to flash. If you are not worried about a flash then try it out. Sometimes they work great, sometimes not.

Your can always flash back if you do not like it, be sure to load optimized defaults and apply after the flash, and reboot back to the BIOS to set your disk settings again before you load windows.

BIOS is a "If it aint broke, don't fix it" type of things really, so unless you dont mind a flash then you should not update unless you see a new BIOS that directly addresses a issue you are having, or you are having general issues with the one you are using now.

So, all in all, up to you. I have used them, some great, some not so great

Comment

Thanks for the tip. It would help my decision to flash/not flash if I knew what the EX38-DS4's F6a bios improved upon, if anything.

Comment

I am not sure, The place where I find info about what the beta's provide still has it in testing, it is not gigabyte though. What issues if any do you know of for that board?

I am not aware of any, so likely it is just a beta to test in the process of supporting more CPU's which is what I see on the CPU Support list. Many of the New CPU's are only supported by this beta, so that is likely all they are attempting to fix as far as I know.

Comment

Working...
                                X