This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Just wanted to say thanks for writing the great help thread it is apprecaited. I have flashed BIOS'S before but this was a little different. Thanks.

KM
    Rig:
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-EXTREME Bios F7c
    Chip Core i7 920 with Ultra 120 X2 120mm fans push/pull
    Memory: OCZ XMP 3 x 2GB OCZ3X1600LV6GK
    PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W
    Video: EVGA GTX 285 SSC Edition
    DVD/RW: Liteon iHAS422-08
    Sotrage: 2X Raid 0 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ TB
    1X SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB
    Case: Thermaltake Spedo.

At the end of the day it is the people you disturbed the most that counts.

Comment

Glad to see you had no issues. There are many ways to flash of course, I just outlined some of the easier and safer methods

Comment

I just got a GA-MA78GPM-UD2H and I am trying to update the bios using Q-Flash but it couldn't read either of the flash drives I tried. Also after making the flash drives bootable I could not get them to boot. What other options do I have to update my bios without a floppy drive?

Comment

Thanks great guide.
          <object width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.rapidsupplements.com/tracking.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.rapidsupplements.com/tracking.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

Comment

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A &quot;How To ~ Qflash Guide&quot;

Originally posted by masterxchief View Post
            I just got a GA-MA78GPM-UD2H and I am trying to update the bios using Q-Flash but it couldn't read either of the flash drives I tried. Also after making the flash drives bootable I could not get them to boot. What other options do I have to update my bios without a floppy drive?
            Bootable USB is not necessary, but If you think your USB Sticks may not be compatible with Qflash and want to use a bootable USB that is fine. Did you copy extra files onto the USB Stick, or just follow the guide word by word? I ask because if you copy files that seem to be missed when you create the USB Stick with the HP Program it will not work. You must use the program only, then copy over the BIOS .Fxx file and then boot to it.

You must also be sure USB Storage Detect is enabled in the Integrated Peripherals BIOS section, and that you leave the USB Stick in when you reboot to Qflash. And you must have USB 1.1, and 2.0 enabled in the BIUOS as well of course.

If you are having issues with just booting to the USB Stick, then on reboot Hit F12 to get to the Boot menu, then choose HDD+ and on the next screen you should see your USB Stick by name and be able to select it to boot from.

If you still have issues with Qflash or Booting to your USB Please post me a image of all the files showing in your USB Stick so I can check to be sure you have not added anything that may be messing it up, or to be sure you have the correct files there.

In the end, yes there are other ways to flash if you find your USB Devices just to be not compatible (Some are not). You can flash from Qflash with the BIOS files on a FAT32 partition and I can help you create one if need be, let me know

Comment

The link to the boot files doesn't work so I used the windows98 boot files from bootdisk.com . I tried to format a partition of my hard drive to FAT32 and put the BIOS file on it but Q-Flash doesn't show anything besides 'Floppy A' and I don't even have a floppy drive. Does this FAT32 partition have to be a specific size and does it have to be on the primary hard drive?

Edit: Nevermind I got. When I was choosing my boot device from the F12 menu i went to USB FDD instead of the HDD+. Thanks, I would have never figured it out myself.
              Last edited by masterxchief; 04-14-2009, 01:33 AM.

Comment

So you got in by going into HDD+ right, then on the next page you saw your USB Device correct? I always do that way myself as I have never spent the time to try other ways as that is pretty simple

Thanks for letting me know about the Boot Files, the ones you grabbed elsewhere are likely not what is needed. I will update the link now

*EDIT*

What file are you saying does not work? The Boot Files link works just fine, so no edit was needed >>>
                http://www.mediafire.com/?dgkgymdtzzi

Same link as page one "Boot Files" from Step # 2

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post

*EDIT*

What file are you saying does not work? The Boot Files link works just fine, so no edit was needed >>>
                  USB-Boot.zip

Same link as page one "Boot Files" from Step # 2

I guess mediafire didn't like my firefox. I still got the USB to boot with the other boot files and I booted through the HDD+ option in the F12 menu. I don't know why Q-Flash doesn't like my flash drive. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Hmm, Odd for sure as I also use firefox?

Ahh well, glitches happen. Thanks for letting me know anyway incase it did need updating!

Did you try Qflash again? I find that odd that you could boot to your USB but not use Qflash

Comment

Hmm, Odd for sure as I also use firefox?

Ahh well, glitches happen. Thanks for letting me know anyway incase it did need updating!

Did you try Qflash again? I find that odd that you could boot to your USB but not use Qflash
                      Mediafire didn't like my firefox running with greasemonkey. Q-Flash still won't read the USB drive. It's a 8gb Corsair Voyager.

Comment

Ahh, ya I do not use Greasemonkey so that would be why it works for me then maybe?

That one may just not be compatible, you are the first to notify me of this though. So Thanks, and I will keep that in mind. It may just be the size? I have only used 515-2GB ones and all of them have worked. MANY Brands, so the size just may be the reason? If you wanted, you could test that by formatting and partitioning that USB Stick down to a 1GB partition and see if it picks that up or not, then you would know

Comment

Sorry, that gave me the info I needed, but sadly it was of no help.

Here is the PDF For that chip
                          http://pdf.chinaicmart.com/PM4/PM49FL002.pdf

And here is the one I know how to short, using Pins #5 + #6
                          http://www.mct.net/download/macronix/mx25l8005.pdf

There is so many pins on the one you have, and none of the names are the same So I would not be sure of how to advise

You can try some of the methods posted here or ask if anyone can tell you for sure here, the info I mention about blind flashing award BIOS and Shorting the pins for modern boards is also posted here >>
                          BIOS Recovery procedures - My Digital Life Forums

Wish I could help, but I am not sure with that many pins what to advise. Maybe pins 31 and 30 but I am just not sure. I am not even sure if it is possible with that chip

Lsdmeasap hi mate just wanted to say thanks for the info i shorted out pins 3 and 4 and that did the trick the main bios recovered from the backup
                          so thanks again

Comment

Ahh, nice to hear back from you. Yes I have seen this method save many boards, just was not sure which pins for the model you listed.

Can you please post a image from the PDF I linked showing which pins you shorted, for future reference. Please also note the board model again as well

Thanks, and nice to see you got it going

Comment

Ahh, nice to hear back from you. Yes I have seen this method save many boards, just was not sure which pins for the model you listed.

Can you please post a image from the PDF I linked showing which pins you shorted, for future reference. Please also note the board model again as well

Thanks, and nice to see you got it going
                              Yeah the board is a GA-K8N Ultra-SLI
                              Pins 3 and 4 they are both general purpose inputs I had them shorted on power up the screen said 'MAIN BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR' at that point i released the short and it went to auto recovery with in a matter of seconds I waited for it to complete the recovery and on the next power up all was good
                              cheers
                              Attached Files

Comment

Lsdmeasap,

Before I try this out, I have a RAID 1 question. If you recall I am the person that had a hard time getting my RAID 1 up and running. Ended up having to use the GSata ports for the RAID and the Intel ports for the optical and C: String Here

So, anyway, my RAID 1 is purely storage, my primary is C: After I flash F9, am I going to be able to enable the Intel ports and move my RAID there? What do you think?
                                Originally posted by Alex St. John
                                Consider for a moment that what we think of as “intelligence” is the byproduct of a computing architecture that depends on massive parallelism to interact with the world in real time without stalling for progress bars. If our ancestors’ brains had depended on running Vista on current dual-core processors for their survival, they would have been eaten by bears.

Best Quote Ever...
                                Originally posted by Psycho101
                                Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
                                Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

Comment

Working...
                                X