A big THX to LSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A big THX to LSD

After reading a few of your posts I managed to build 2 new computers, very stable, very fast.
    Keep up the good work

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz
    1GB BFG NVIDIA GeForce gtx 280
    Patriot 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1330
    GIGABYTE GA-X48T-DQ6 ddr3
    Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2 OEM Version
    Seagate 250 gig HD
    Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
    Antec 850 watt ps
    HP dvd1035i DVD Writer
    BTW a stock intel cpu cooler "runs the cpu very kool"

I don't OC as I find that a waste of time and components, if I want a faster machine I will build one.

These machines are very stable and should last for years, your bios settings and ideas are the cream of the crop.
    Thx again.

Re: A big THX to LSD

Thanks a bunch man!!! Most appreciated that you took the time to drop in and say thanks even though you had no issues!!!

Ya, Stock coolers are usually decent, but only at stock!

Enjoy your boards, and of course post back anytime if you need help with something!

Comment

I originally ordered 2 ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 Premium CPU cooler but the edges would crush transitors so close to the edge of the cpu frame, glad I wasn't drinking at the time, I might not have seen that. I originally toyed with the idea of doing a little OC but that cured me right away. OH well the machines are so stable and still running after many installs and game playing I once again give ya kudos for ideas I never thought or heard of bro. :) LONG LIVE THE ATARI LOL I still have my mega 2 up and running lol

Comment

BTW how do ya guys get pics of ya bios screens? a camera? I have seen none of my board on here, if I can help ya help others LSD I will cap some.

Comment

Ahh well get you a different Heatsink ordered. ThermalRight Ultra 120 is great, if your case is wide enough, if not the ThermalRight Ultra 90 should fit. Or there is PLENTY of other good ones, just be sure you measure before you order.

You want some Atari on your PC? >>>>
          PONG FOR PC

PC Atari Emulator

Ya, we use a Camera to take BIOS images. All can be found online, but thanks for your offer. if you want though and you are bored you could post some here and then if/when I need to reference them I can search here for this thread to get images instead of Google

Comment

You know, L, I think Galen brings up a good point that has been bugging me. For sure, it's lots of fun to overclock and squeeze as much out of "value" components as possible, but I do believe there is a point of diminishing returns, especially when it comes to "extra" equipment like coolers. For instance, the stock Intel HSF is about $15 and will do its job for years at stock or near-stock settings. You could always go out and pay $130 for a top-of-the-line cooler so you can really overclock your system. But wouldn't it just be better to spend that $130-$15 on a better CPU?? $115 should buy you a pretty nice CPU upgrade without the concerns that you are running the system beyond its rated specs.
            Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
            Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

Ahh Where do you see $130 for a cooler? I think the best one (TheermalRight Ultra 120) is only $45-50

But yeah I do see your point. But....... then if you buy the faster CPU you would want to overclock it as well!

So the fun never ends for us overclockers!

Comment

Ultra ChillTec Socket 939775AM2 Thermal Electric CPU Cooler ULT33186 at TigerDirect.com

Yeah, I agree overclocking provides lots of fun and I'm glad to squeeze even more out of my system. Just pointing out that people can get silly with just about anything...
                Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition

Comment

Ahh! I thought you may have been thinking about that cooler. What a waste I think. If I were not using Water I would use one of these, and suggest anyone else do the same.

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
                  Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme

Or

Xigmatek HDT-S1283
                  Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Or

Tuniq Tower 120
                  Newegg.com - Tuniq Tower 120 Universal CPU Cooler 120mm Cooling Fan and Fan Controler/Heatsink - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Here is a top 10 list, Tuniq is not listed but I know it is good so maybe they just did not test it >>>
                  http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

Comment

Does the Q9650 have the same stock cooler as the Wolfdales? I can think of one reason to consider other than stock cooler: noise.

PS. I think it would be fair if anyone who finds solution for their problems from here (ie usually from Lsdmeasap) tries to help at least one other user in return. One actually learns better oneself when one tries to explain to others.

Comment

I am not sure. I would assume it has the copper center, which some of the newer dual's do not.

Ya, Intel stock coolers are noisy. But they do work as they should but ONLY at stock. And always if you have the cash there is better/cooler and quieter solutions. Even if you are and plan to keep running stock

Yeah, I think self help (IE: Google, reviews, blogs, forums), and helping others is the best way to learn things. And you are right, the more you help others the more you learn and keep the knowledge fresh in your mind at the same time

Comment

Good points. Some of those coolers are just *massive*!! I'm running a simple Masscool on my e7200 which is stock at 2.53Ghz and I have it clocked to 3.4Ghz. Realtemp idle is 32C and stress-test temps top out at 60C. Most of the time, running games or apps, temps top at 52-55C.

Comment

Sounds like a nice decent cooler!

Ya, even a cheaper/smaller cooler is usually better then stock no matter how you look at it

Comment

I have a huge cooler that hardly fits in my case... but it works! But really i just wanna say a big thanks to LSD for everything he gives to these forums and to helping its members... big up!

Comment

Thanks guys, this is the second "Thanks" thread to me this month!

I am glad I can help, and you all make me feel well appreciated

You guys ROCK!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X