This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Memory Timings Explained W/ Suggested Timings & Memset VS. BIOS

Where do you live first of all, and I can direct you to where you need to go to setup a RMA

Flashing from F5 to F11 should not cause any issues, provided you did it safely and nothing went wrong, as you mentioned all sounds good.

All voltages stock is a problem, especially at 190 Bclk.

Missing memory can be several things, most often this is caused by bent CPU socket pins or a poorly seated CPU. In your case though I think you may be falling into one of the other causes categories, which is incorrect voltages and settings. Incorrect amounts of Uncore, QPI/Vtt, and Vdimm can cause this easily. This is something I can fully reproduce on my end anytime by using wrong settings, and since you mentioned all voltages stock I suspect this is the problem and we should look into that before you go as far as checking your CPU socket pins.

Please copy your initial post, my reply, and your new reply all into a new thread so I can further help you. Please grab a template from my signature and include in that post your full specs (Including BIOS Version and Ram link) and current problematic full settings.

Comment

• Re: Memory Timings Explained W/ Suggested Timings & Memset VS. BIOS

So if your memory is ddr2 rated @ 800 4 4 4 12 36 2t and your overclocking a cpu(Q9650) with a 1333 fsb with a GA X48-D6 will the processor fsb being locked @ 1333 be a choke on the overclock? Or would i benifit remarkably from a ram upgrade even if it has looser timings Gskill
      F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI
      ddr2100 5-5-5-15 would this give the cpu more headroom therefore taking more advantage of the oc'd fsb

X48-DQ6 rev.01 , Q9650 ,

ZALMAN
      CNPS 9700 NT

idles 28c peaks under load 47-50c

<TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 10px; BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px; FONT-SIZE: 1.2em; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0px" class=specification cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(231,231,231) 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(231,231,231) 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; LINE-HEIGHT: 1.2em; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; WIDTH: 296px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; CLEAR: right; FONT-SIZE: 1em; BORDER-TOP: red 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: red 0px solid; PADDING-TOP: 3px" class=desc itxtvisited="1">G.SKILL
      F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B 8 gig

</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(231,231,231) 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: red 0px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; LINE-HEIGHT: 1.2em; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; WIDTH: 126px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; FONT-SIZE: 1em; BORDER-TOP: red 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: red 0px solid; PADDING-TOP: 3px" class=name itxtvisited="1">
      SUPER TALENT
      MasterDrive SX
      SAM28GM25S

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(231,231,231) 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(231,231,231) 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; LINE-HEIGHT: 1.2em; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; WIDTH: 296px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; CLEAR: right; FONT-SIZE: 1em; BORDER-TOP: red 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: red 0px solid; PADDING-TOP: 3px" class=desc itxtvisited="1"></TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(231,231,231) 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: red 0px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; LINE-HEIGHT: 1.2em; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; WIDTH: 126px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; FONT-SIZE: 1em; BORDER-TOP: red 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: red 0px solid; PADDING-TOP: 3px" class=name itxtvisited="1">ssd
      XFX Radeon HD 4890 CrossfireX with another same
      </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(231,231,231) 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(231,231,231) 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; LINE-HEIGHT: 1.2em; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; WIDTH: 296px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; CLEAR: right; FONT-SIZE: 1em; BORDER-TOP: red 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: red 0px solid; PADDING-TOP: 3px" class=desc itxtvisited="1">Lg dvd rw drive</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Comment

• Re: Memory Timings Explained W/ Suggested Timings &amp; Memset VS. BIOS

Originally posted by mad user View Post
        So if your memory is ddr2 rated @ 800 4 4 4 12 36 2t and your overclocking a cpu(Q9650) with a 1333 fsb with a GA X48-D6 will the processor fsb being locked @ 1333 be a choke on the overclock? Or would i benifit remarkably from a ram upgrade even if it has looser timings Gskill
        F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI
        ddr2100 5-5-5-15 would this give the cpu more headroom therefore taking more advantage of the oc'd fsb
        Higher FSB will result in better memory performance.
        DRR-800 4-4-4-12 will be usually capable to do DDR-1000 or more with 5-5-5-15/18 timings.
        DDR-1066 may result with slightly better memory performance, not much gain is at all in real life use, DR-1200 is very expensive and IMO does not worth the money, and there's no quarantee it will operate at this speed.
        Start overclocking as you are now, then based on benchmarks/use see if you want to upgrade.

Comment

Keep in mind also your FSB is not locked at 1333Mhz, you only need to increase the FSB to whatever you want then you can adjust the ram speed accordingly.

Comment

with my cpu @ 400x9= 3.6 and selecting ram @ 200D giving the ram a 400 FSB
            i find this game my fav fps very well and is very stable. is there any advantage to
            selecting a lower fsb for the ram if i gain less than an 10% oc on the ram ?

Comment

@mad_user
              I don't understand, why you want to lower ram speed? Maybe I did not understand the question.
              It will be better if you create a new OC thread so we can review your settings and help you tweak your system for safe settings and optimal performance.
              Please provide(in the new thread) the information requested in steps 1-4 in this thread.

And please.... don't be mad :-)

Comment

ok sorry about my pre-caffiene last post i was thinking that there might be some equalization with the d strapping giving the ram a 400 bus speed vs say a b strapping with the reduced bus @ 333 . but i have settled on this config of my bios to achieve a very usable for gaming 3.8 with 8 gig ddr2 800 oc'd to 1010 . fsb 420x9=3.8 ram strapped 240b
                vcore 1.368 ddr voltage 1.97 i have been to four gig but was unhappy with the need to drive the vcore to 1.408 or better the ram appears to be capable of 1066 but all this leads to one more question about the strapping choices . what if any advantages are there to choosing from the differing strappings? a b c or d ? d at first seems to offer the optimal choice but is only offered in 200d and 266d whereas a b and c offer lesser bus speeds
                forcing the ram into a less than 1 to 1 ratio. is there any advatage to the lesser multiplier because of the high 400 bus? i'm hoping this clarifies my just awoken attempt at communication .

Comment

Damn I proofed it and still dropped the n from adva_N_tage in my last sentence???!

Comment

Originally posted by mad user View Post
                    ok sorry about my pre-caffiene last post i was thinking that there might be some equalization with the d strapping giving the ram a 400 bus speed vs say a b strapping with the reduced bus @ 333 . but i have settled on this config of my bios to achieve a very usable for gaming 3.8 with 8 gig ddr2 800 oc'd to 1010 . fsb 420x9=3.8 ram strapped 240b
                    vcore 1.368 ddr voltage 1.97 i have been to four gig but was unhappy with the need to drive the vcore to 1.408 or better the ram appears to be capable of 1066 but all this leads to one more question about the strapping choices . what if any advantages are there to choosing from the differing strappings? a b c or d ? d at first seems to offer the optimal choice but is only offered in 200d and 266d whereas a b and c offer lesser bus speeds
                    forcing the ram into a less than 1 to 1 ratio. is there any advatage to the lesser multiplier because of the high 400 bus? i'm hoping this clarifies my just awoken attempt at communication .
                    You "proof read" that? LOL, Ha Ha, etc.
                    i7 3770K, 47X100= 4.7GHz at 1.33V, ASROCK Z77 Extreme4, 2 X 4GB Patriot Viper Black Maba DDR3 1600, GTX 590, 2 X Corsair Force 3 120GB SSDs in RAID 0, Barracuda SATA 7200.10 500GB, Barracuda SATA 7200.11 1000GB Back Ups, OCZ ZX 1250W, Z-5500s, LG Blu Ray Player/DVD Burner, Koolance CTR-CD12 Fan/Pump Controller, Windows 7 X64 Professional, HAF X. Vision Quest 24" WS LCD, Optoma H66 Projector
                    Cooling: Thermochill PA120.2 GT AP15 in push, DDC 3.25/XSPC Res top, Apogee Xt Extreme, XSPC Razor, Coolgate CG-240 Swiftech Helix in push/pull, MCP35X.

Comment

@mad_user
                      The different straps multiplier are designed for specific starps based on standard DDR2 rates, 533,667,800. and 1066, with min of 1:1 and max of 1:2 FSB:DRAM clock. That does not mean they won't work at other FSB frequencies. If it works it's good enough.
                      Up to 5:8 or 3:5 FSB:DRAM there will be gain in memory performance (not as much in real life use) so there no advantage of lowering the ram clock.

You may try and use 2.50A multiplier with your current settings. If you manage to maintain the same tRD level or lower, memory performance will improve.

Comment

Hey all, could someone tell me what Memtest86 v4.0 Test 5 errors means? Is it really memory, or memory controller problem. I tested both sticks individually in all slots on test 5 with no errors.

Comment

Well first, try memtest4.1 as I have heard a few issues have been fixed.

As for test 5, that and 7 are the most stressful ones, so heat it a big issue sometimes.

Are you testing with test 5 by itself in a loop only and if so for how long/how many passes, or the normal test and it errors on 5 each time when it gets there

Comment

Thanks for the reply Lsameasap... Here's the deal. One day last week I changed my heat sink to a Corsair H50 to test it's performance. I decided to play an on-line game for stressing and while doing so my screen would just go black for probably 10 seconds or more and then either minimize it's self for CTD. Weird right. Then as the problem advanced I would blue screen with an error code of OxC2(BAD_POOL_CALLER) in which I assumed had to deal with my ATI drivers since the above was happening.

That helped somewhat but did not solve the problem so I decided to do stress testing with LinX, IBT, and P95. During testing it always failed on large FFT and so on. Anyway I somehow determined it was a memory problem and tested with Memtest86 v4.0.

At first I just ran the default test one loop and there was about 15 - 20 errors on loop 5. Thats when I decided to test each stick in every slot with side cover off (optimized defaults) . No errors. I was thinking it not the memory... Then ran Memtest86 with all the ram and errors on test 5 but not as many. At this time i decided to reset CMOS and re-flash the memory. Long story short it still gave errors in test 5.

I have ran Memtest86 v4.1 for 2 full default loops with no errors. But I think your right it was a heat problem and heres why. My memory fan started squealing after being shutdown for about 5 days so I took it out of the system. After putting it back in the squealing stopped after a while as well as the errors. I also ran a test 5 loop for 3 passes with no errors.

I'm still not 100% sure it's correct now as I still fail P95. I have also read it possibly could be: power supply, motherboard, memory and or vid card. WHEW! sorry for the long post!

Comment

Sounds like you need better airflow in your case then, and maybe some BIOS adjustments.

Auto/stock may not be stable for your memory, so that may be the issue and you just need to set things properly is all

Comment

Not really sure what I can do as far as better airflow. I already use 3 - 200mm fans -front, side as intake, and top exhaust. As well a 120mm in the bottom as intake, two fans as push/pull on the H50, the Corsair Memory fans and a 40mm fan on the north bridge.

BTW this is on the system in my sig. I'll think I'll just re-visit the bios settings and redo all my over clock settings. FYI I am running the Q9550 @461x8.5 (3.92GHz) Memory @ 2.1 volts 5-5-5-15 4-4-6-52-2, 2.40B 1106MHz and Turbo.

Comment

Working...
                                X