This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Memory Timings Explained W/ Suggested Timings & Memset VS. BIOS

Well there is many changes from DDR2 to the DDR3 architecture, so most of this will not apply when it comes to DDR3. The names of some of the settings are the same of course but timings and such mentioned here do not apply really.

Comment

Great work on this guide Lsdmeasap!

It brought me back to TT for the first time in ages.

Attemping to get my EP45-UD3P beyond Q9550 @ 4.4Ghz

May require some DDR2 PC2-10400 1300MHz, my Mushkin 996580 doesn't seem capable.
      Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
        Memtest86+ is a fine indicator of Memory stability only, if you are failing Prime but passing memtest then you likely have other issues such as voltages (CPU or QPI/Vtt or NB) too low or something along those lines
        Is it possible the other way around though? I played with timings a little with my current FSB of 500 and Memtest passes, but custom test in Prime95 (a bit more hardcore Blend I guess) fails. Is it possible that raising the timings values might help to get stable instead of increasing MCH core voltage? (in fact I lowered that before as well)

Comment

Originally posted by dryadsoul View Post
          Great work on this guide Lsdmeasap!

It brought me back to TT for the first time in ages.

Attemping to get my EP45-UD3P beyond Q9550 @ 4.4Ghz

May require some DDR2 PC2-10400 1300MHz, my Mushkin 996580 doesn't seem capable.
          Hmm, ya you may need faster ram or are you not using the lower multi's? I have ran my 996580's up to 1200Mhz, are you using 555 timings? May have to try 555-20 or 655-18/20 for 1300? Maybe 666 timings?

Originally posted by Octopuss View Post
          Is it possible the other way around though? I played with timings a little with my current FSB of 500 and Memtest passes, but custom test in Prime95 (a bit more hardcore Blend I guess) fails. Is it possible that raising the timings values might help to get stable instead of increasing MCH core voltage? (in fact I lowered that before as well)
          Either could help really, just depends I suppose. More MCH, More Ram voltage, cooler ram, or looser main/sub timings would help you get more anytime.

Comment

Hi,

The suggested timings for tWTR are (4-6) 9-11, and tRD (5/6) 7-10, while the values in parenthesis said to be for benchmarking only (I assume not everyday use.)

As default my motherboard sets tWTR 4/3 and tRD 4-6 depending on which of 2 pairs I have I use, and DRAM Prformece/X.M.S settings.

Does that make any sence?

In general the motherbord works well, but it didn't pass stress with default settings, so I am playing with tRD value now to see if this is the problem.
            Last edited by Chike; 07-03-2009, 09:31 AM.

Comment

This is a great post. Thanks Lsdmeasap
              http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
              http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
              Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
              Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
              Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
              4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
              (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
              (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
              (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
              Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
              Mid size ATX case with show through panel
              2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
              Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
              Logitech G500 USB mouse
              Monitor: CMV937A
              7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
              Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

I was wondering if its better to try and reduce your trfc vs tras?

Im using OCZ2P1066LV4GK, e7400, and ud3p, below are my settings stable on memtest and prime95:

9x430
                2.66D
                5-5-5-15-52 (everything else on auto)

LLC Enabled
                1.35v
                1.26v
                1.57v
                0.823v

1.2v
                0.738v
                0.94v
                1.5v
                Auto

1.9v

Comment

Hi.
                  Im Joe from PerĂº, a latin guy new here. Sorry my english.
                  I bought a month ago a Gigabyte G13M-ES2L Mainboard and a
                  2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Vista Performance Gold.
                  All works fine. I could install without problems Windows XP SP3, Windows7 RC 64bits and OSX Leopard, hackintosh version 10.5.7

But now, I added another 2gb ram, of course identical, to have 4gb in dual
                  channel. Then I experienced blue screens, reboots and programs errors.
                  I contacted OCZ Support guy, and told me to increase the ATC Delay to 64 and the Northbridge Voltage to 1.35v.

Well, I found in bios, with Ctrl+F1, the ATC Delay, but not the way to change the Northbridge Voltage. I read this thread looking for some help, but I saw another bios examples, not mine.

In my Bios Sistem Voltage Control, I have :

DDR2 OverVoltage Control : Normal
                  FSB OverVoltage Control : Normal
                  FSB DeOverVoltage Control : Normal
                  CPU GTLREFVolatge Ratio : 0.67
                  CPU Voltage : Normal

Thanks if you can read and post some comments about this.
                  I'll be very gratefull.

Best Regards

Comment

Sorry Joesoft Since you do not have (G)MCH Voltage control (= Northbridge Voltage Control) you may always have issues with more than 2GB of ram because you cannot raise that.
                    You could try this.
                    DDR2 OverVoltage Control : Normal change to manual set to +0.2-+0.3
                    FSB OverVoltage Control : (= vtt) Normal change to manual set to Set +0.1-0.2 for stability

Let us know if that helps.
                    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
                    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
                    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
                    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
                    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
                    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
                    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
                    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
                    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
                    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
                    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
                    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
                    Logitech G500 USB mouse
                    Monitor: CMV937A
                    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
                    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                      Hi,

The suggested timings for tWTR are (4-6) 9-11, and tRD (5/6) 7-10, while the values in parenthesis said to be for benchmarking only (I assume not everyday use.)

As default my motherboard sets tWTR 4/3 and tRD 4-6 depending on which of 2 pairs I have I use, and DRAM Prformece/X.M.S settings.

Does that make any sence?

In general the motherbord works well, but it didn't pass stress with default settings, so I am playing with tRD value now to see if this is the problem.
                      The values in parentheses are what you want to work down to, to get stable. Not just for benching but everyday use, depending on the setup of course

If you need help please make a thread with your full specs and settings and someone or myself can help you out a little.

Originally posted by osme02 View Post
                      I was wondering if its better to try and reduce your trfc vs tras?

Im using OCZ2P1066LV4GK, e7400, and ud3p, below are my settings stable on memtest and prime95:

9x430
                      2.66D
                      5-5-5-15-52 (everything else on auto)

LLC Enabled
                      1.35v
                      1.26v
                      1.57v
                      0.823v

1.2v
                      0.738v
                      0.94v
                      1.5v
                      Auto

1.9v
                      See PM

Originally posted by Joesoft View Post
                      Hi.
                      Im Joe from PerĂº, a latin guy new here. Sorry my english.
                      I bought a month ago a Gigabyte G13M-ES2L Mainboard and a
                      2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Vista Performance Gold.
                      All works fine. I could install without problems Windows XP SP3, Windows7 RC 64bits and OSX Leopard, hackintosh version 10.5.7

But now, I added another 2gb ram, of course identical, to have 4gb in dual
                      channel. Then I experienced blue screens, reboots and programs errors.
                      I contacted OCZ Support guy, and told me to increase the ATC Delay to 64 and the Northbridge Voltage to 1.35v.

Well, I found in bios, with Ctrl+F1, the ATC Delay, but not the way to change the Northbridge Voltage. I read this thread looking for some help, but I saw another bios examples, not mine.

In my Bios Sistem Voltage Control, I have :

DDR2 OverVoltage Control : Normal
                      FSB OverVoltage Control : Normal

Thanks if you can read and post some comments about this.
                      I'll be very gratefull.

Best Regards
                      See below

Originally posted by artdrivers View Post
                      Sorry Joesoft Since you do not have (G)MCH Voltage control (= Northbridge Voltage Control) you may always have issues with more than 2GB of ram because you cannot raise that.
                      You could try this.
                      DDR2 OverVoltage Control : Normal change to manual set to +0.2-+0.3
                      FSB OverVoltage Control : (= vtt) Normal change to manual set to Set +0.1-0.2 for stability

Let us know if that helps.
                      I agree with artdrivers, you may have a tough time with 3-4GB+ without being able to adjust the NB Voltage on that board.

Which setting are you increasing, that you called ATC Setting? Juist wanted to be sure, you should/may need to increase tRFC (Refresh To Act Delay). Just wondered if we are talking about the same setting here or not.

As said above you will of course need to also set your ram voltage to the spec amount you see on your ram's product page or the ram sticker itself. You can try lower later, but may not have much luck due to the lack of NB Voltage adjustments.

+0.3V = 2.1V
                      +0.2V = 2.0V

Comment

Hi everyone and thanks to artdrivers and Lsdmeasap for the answers.
                        Here I attach two captures of my complete System Voltage Control of my bios

As you see, I have increased the DDR OverVoltage Control to +0.1 and set the ATC Relay to 64 (before it was 48 I think so)

artdrivers, you suggest me to increase the value of FSB OverVoltage Control. I am going to test it but Im still waiting for complete a download in emule.

Lsdmeasap, thanks to this forum I found the way to switch my bios menu to an advance menu. I was going crazy because the only way to see advance options was with the easyturner6.

Again thanks, and Im going to make changes in FSB OverVoltage as soon as emule completes the download

Best regards
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here is the second snapshot of my bios.
                          See you soon
                          Attached Files

Comment

OK, ya what you are calling ATC Delay is refresh to act delay, and for 4GB you need to set that to at least 52-62 for now until you get a bit more stable then you can try lower

Comment

Hi again.
                              As I told you, I was waiting for completing a download in emule before test my pc with the values you suggested me to try to fix my problem.
                              My pc was working ok for two days. Yesterday at night, I viewed my emule and in few minutes it will finish.
                              Today, earlier, my pc was in another session. It rebooted
                              Then I reseted it, entered my session, run my messenger, emule, and... a blue screen!
                              Again I reseted my pc, entered my bios and increased the FSB OverVoltage Control in 0.1+ like you suggested me. All seems ok.
                              I didn't touch the DDR OverVoltageControl. It mantains the 0.1+ (1.9v)
                              Im still doing tests.
                              I will keep in touch.

Best regards

Joe

Comment

So all still Good? Hope so, if not please give us your settings again that fail and we will advise

Comment

Working...
                                X