This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Memory Timings Explained W/ Suggested Timings & Memset VS. BIOS

Sorry about the Delay Merman. Just updated a little bit.

I am still working on some of the more advanced sections for P45, the info is out there but I like to use my own words as much as I can.

Hope to soon somehow get a P45 and be able to personally address some of those additional Values

Things Updated:
    BIOS image examples added

Timing descriptions re-ordered so they better match most Gigabyte BIOS's and added a missing one. Also linked to Page that Explains them ALL

MCH Voltage touched on a little bit

Addressed MCH and tRFC Values for more then 2X1GB

Performance Enhance Setting added, but not addressed yet

Added another AnandTech Link for additional tRD reading. Thanks Aleslammer

Thing to add:

P45 Advanced BIOS settings

Address Performance Enhance Settings.

I know it has been a while since we discussed this, anything you can think of to add to my to do list?
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 08-26-2008, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Hello Lsd,

Great topic and thanks for sharing so useful tips. I am learning a lot here.

With your instructions I was able to get similar results with inferior CPU and keeping it cool only working on memory parameters.
      It is not optimized yet but passes MemTest86+ and Prime95 as well.
      I think that memory is the best channel to be optimized and the one that will effectively speed-up any computer.
      So, my point is that the 2:1 ratio (16:8 in Lavalyst) is not difficult with those DDR3 memories.

GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
      i5-4690K + Corsair H90
      Sapphire Radeon R7 240
      16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
      Corsair CX750M
      Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

Nice latencys for sure! Wow 1516 eh! Can the CAS come down any yet?

Ya, sorry I wish I actually had some DDR3 Specific tips for you. But seems you get along fine!!

Comment

Is there suppose to be an image??? All I see is a small X.

Comment

Originally posted by Merman View Post
            Is there suppose to be an image??? All I see is a small X.
            Merman, try to refresh the page (press F5).

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
            Nice latencys for sure! Wow 1516 eh! Can the CAS come down any yet?

Ya, sorry I wish I actually had some DDR3 Specific tips for you. But seems you get along fine!!
            Yes, I can go down up to 9-9-9-26 but passes irregularly in Memtest86+. So, I prefer to lose some efficiency over stability. I think that I hit the wall but let see what you have for me first, thanks.
            i5-4690K + Corsair H90
            Sapphire Radeon R7 240
            Corsair CX750M

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

What subtimings are you using? You may be able to improve those a little if you haven't tried already

This is 2x1, spec'd at 1.8V right? Just checking

Comment

Yes, 2x1GB but @1.7v following Corsair specs.
                The timings are these below - I didn't change anything since I am noob in this matter.
                What move could you suggest?

i5-4690K + Corsair H90
                Sapphire Radeon R7 240
                Corsair CX750M

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

write to precharge looks a little high, what do you have set in BIOS 17?

But like I said I dont really know much about DDR3, but I can say if you use looser subtimings you can get lower Main timings. But only bechmarks would tell you if those trade off's would be better or not.

When you try 999-24 did you leave trd at 7? If so, try 8-9 and see if CAS 9 is any better then what you are running now

Comment

Originally posted by svcglobal View Post
                    Merman, try to refresh the page (press F5).
                    I see it now.

Comment

Yes, 2x1GB but @1.7v following Corsair specs.
                      The timings are these below - I didn't change anything since I am noob in this matter.
                      What move could you suggest?

So this is CM3X2G1333C9S2 as you said the voltage was 1.7 instead of 1.6???

So it has an XMP setting in the SPD???

If so you aren't using the XMP setting in the BIOS??? I just noticed you have a P-35 board that may not have the XMS Extreme Memory Profile option in Bios but you could still set it yourself.

[FONT=FuturaBT-Bold][SIZE=7][COLOR=#231f20][SIZE=7]

Edit I did say this in the posts about my experience but I will say it again.

Since you have Everest use it to read the memory SPD in the Motherboard/SPD section. It lists the memory SPD in actual memory terms so you don't have to translate different terms. Try these settings especially if you have XMP. Corsair has already done most of the memory tweaking work for you.
                      Last edited by Merman; 09-02-2008, 02:05 PM.

Comment

@Merman
                        There is no XMP settings in the EP35C-DS3R mobo and here is the Everest printout about the SPD (but looks the same listed by MemSet):

@Lsd
                        I was able to fine tuning some subtiming figures and there is the result (5% faster in memory read benchmark).
                        The big player was the Performance Level a.k.a. Static tRead Value change to 6 from 7.
                        Can't change anything else without issues in MemTest86 - this time I really hit the wall. Probably I could increase the memory voltage and go forward but looks too extreme...

i5-4690K + Corsair H90
                        Sapphire Radeon R7 240
                        Corsair CX750M

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

Well I would settle for that, it looks pretty fast @ 1520. Is 1.7 the max Warrantied on that ram?

Maybe he means this in Everest for SPD (Same as XMP New Intel Fancy-ness is all) is in "Chipset" shown here? >>>>

But yeah the section you posted shows the same as memset's SPD/XMP Button. You did see the button right? >>>

Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-03-2008, 12:01 AM.

Comment

@Merman
                            There is no XMP settings in the EP35C-DS3R mobo and here is the Everest printout about the SPD (but looks the same listed by MemSet):

You have the correct screen in Everest and the settings should be exactly the same as MemSet as these are the settings programed in the ram. Both programs should read the same. Its just that Everest uses the technical memory terms and no translation between memory terms is needed. I didn't like trying to match what Memset SPD memory terms stated to the terms in the Bios. tRFC to tRFC is easier to match than Refresh Cycle Time to Refresh To Act Delay. The P-45 Bios is much better in that respect.

I think you missed the link about which memory you have. I looked at the Corsair site and there are two 1339C9 part numbers. One with 1.6 volts and the other is 1.7volts

TWIN3X2048-1333C9 1.6 volts 999-24

CM3X2G1333C9S2 * 1.7 volts 999-24 and XMP settings

Seems like you have the 1.6 volt memory without XMP.???

It would have been nice if Corsair had stated both the XMP advanced timing settings and non-XMP settings for us users as I'm sure their competitors already know.

Lsdmeasap:

Doesn't Everest show your EPP profile in the Motherboard/SPD section??? If Memset can read it I'd be surprised if Everest didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                              Well I would settle for that, it looks pretty fast @ 1520. Is 1.7 the max Warrantied on that ram?

Maybe he means this in Everest for SPD (Same as XMP New Intel Fancy-ness is all) is in "Chipset" shown here? >>>>

But yeah the section you posted shows the same as memset's SPD/XMP Button. You did see the button right? >>>

Look again that screen is actual settings not SPD. You have tRFC set to 38 and SPD is 42.

Comment

Yeah, I can see what you originally imaged/posted to him about. I just had already posted it, so I edited back in the SPD Button info on Memset incase he or anyone missed it.

My Memset screen, One is memset main screen which I know is Actual settings, the other is the SPD/EPP/XMP programmed settings >>>

Both incase I confused you with my manual settings >>>

If you did not think I was confused, then ignore me! HAHA Ya, I know what all is what in the programs we are talking about. I just got confused above for a sec when you and SVC was talking. Tired over here..... I suppose

Comment

Working...
                                X