• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Memory Timings Explained W/ Suggested Timings & Memset VS. BIOS

Thanks for the heads up, updated front page

Comment

hey :)

i've looked in every single hidden dark scary place in my EP45-S3P BIOS and i couldn't find where to set "Refresh Period (tREF)" value which i can change in Memset and i can get pretty good results by doing it.
      Any advices? :) Couse otherwise i have to save Memset and auto-load it on windows boot which is ... Not that it bothers me, but ... you know ... ;)

Comment

4G ofg skill pi black 6400(800mhz) are said to do 4-4-4-12 up to 900mhz at 1.8-1.9v,after 900 you have to go to 5 timings and inc vlt 5-5-5-15 at 980mhz 2.06 vlts (.04 vdroop).
        At 1000mhz its 2.22 vlt for me with (2.18 with .04 vdroop).
        They will boot and be stable at both standard and turbo performance.Timings on turbo are better obviously.
        Has anyone any suggestions on this memory/got it working at higher speeds on ep45-ud3?Voltage is about as high as I want to set it.
        Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
        Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
        Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
        8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
        60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
        GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
        Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
        http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Originally posted by opex View Post
          hey :)

i've looked in every single hidden dark scary place in my EP45-S3P BIOS and i couldn't find where to set "Refresh Period (tREF)" ;)
          I dont know where it is on my ep45 ud3 ,didnt really check.but it should be one of the ones saying auto then when u enter it it has 2 values,3.9 micro sec or 7.8 micro sec that u can pick..Thats what my old GA-73pvm had anyway. ill reboot and check :)
          No cant see it in mine either :(
          Last edited by kick; 02-08-2009, 02:25 PM.
          Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
          Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
          Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
          8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
          60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
          GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
          Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
          http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

tREF is not in the P45 BIOS. You would need to use a P35 board or lesser and flash your SPD if you wanted to change your tREF from what the sticks stock for each SPD is

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
              ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)________ 3-4
              Rank Write to READ Delay (tWTR)_______ (4-6) 9-11 (Note Actual Value set in BIOS Vs. What system Uses will be 7+)
              Write to Precharge Delay (tWR)________ 3-5 (Note Actual Value set in BIOS Vs. What system Uses will be 5+)
              Refresh to ACT Delay (tRFC)___________ 38-42 (2X1GB) 52-62+ (2x2GB)
              Read to Precharge Delay (tRTP)_________ 3-6 (Note Actual Value set in BIOS Vs. What system Uses will be 2+)
              Static tRead Value (tRD)______________ (5/6) 7-10 (800Mhz) 7-12 (1066Mhz)
              Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31*
              Great sticky! Few questions.
              My system is Gigabyte ep45 UD3R
              2x2gb G.Skill 1066 @ 1062 5-5-5-15
              q6600 @ 3.4(425/8)

On these andvanced settings you noted that settings in () should only be used for benching. Are these settings dangerous for the RAM, or just usualy unstable? Should I get these all as low as possible as long as system is stable?

I am trying to bench with everest but without changing anything I can run the ram/cache bench and get different results. Like 9001 or 9025 mb/s. This makes it difficult to know if my lower timing is actualy speeding things up or just moving me closer to instability. Any insight into which should be lowered and which don't really need to be would be great.

Should I set my command rate? Or leave on auto?

I test stability with memtest86+ and OCCT large data sets.

Here is where I am at. System is stable atm :)

Comment

Those settings are just a general starting point, for "Most" DDR2 memory. Some will of course need higher and some will be fine with lower. They are also noted out with the 333 strap in mind, and the normal amounts and speeds of memory that are often used (800/1066 ~ 2-4GB)

The ones in () may work fine with Many memory, for everyday use. It all depends on the memory, the board, the actual memory speeds, MCH/NB Strap in use, Trd (Static tRead Value), and voltages applied.

Most of the time yes, lower is best as long as you are stable. Again those I posted in the guide are meant only as a starting point for users in most situations to get going.

And yes, some settings to low may be stable but may also hinder performance so you have to watch what you set on the low side.

Getting different results like this >>> 9001 or 9025 mb/s Can happen anytime, with the same settings. That is a very small difference and your system may have been doing something in the background on one of them, or not on the other, that would affect scores in that small manner

Command rate setting will not work in P45, so you should set it to the default it uses anyway of 2.

tWR and tWTR May be able to come down a bit for you, all depends on what you are setting in the BIOS, what strap/multi you are using, and what voltages you are using. But the rest looks good and lower on any others may cause instability or affect performance. You can also however try tRD of 6 and see if it will boot for you, but that largely depends on voltages and memory multi in use

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                  tWR and tWTR May be able to come down a bit for you, all depends on what you are setting in the BIOS, what strap/multi you are using, and what voltages you are using. But the rest looks good and lower on any others may cause instability or affect performance. You can also however try tRD of 6 and see if it will boot for you, but that largely depends on voltages and memory multi in use
                  Thanks for the response! A tRD of 6 crashed me, no post. I guess 7 is my lucky number . Here is my Bios atm. Ram timings are still a work in progress. sig rig at 3.4, I go 3.6 for benching and winter.

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
                  Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto
                  CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 8
                  CPU Frequency ...........................: 3400
                  Clock Chip Control
                  Standard Clock Control
                  CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
                  CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 425 Mhz
                  PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:100
                  C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]
                  Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
                  CPU Clock Drive...........................: 800 mv
                  PCI Express Clock Drive.................: 900mv
                  CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: 0 ps
                  MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: 0 ps
                  DRAM Performance Control
                  Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
                  Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
                  (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: 266
                  System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.50A
                  Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 1063
                  DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]
                  Standard Timing Control
                  CAS Latency Time........................ 5
                  tRCD ......................................... 5
                  tRP'........................................... 5
                  tRAS.......................................... 15
                  Advanced Timing Control
                  tRRD........................................... 3
                  tWTR.......................................... 4
                  tWR............................................ 5
                  tRFC...........................................50
                  tRTP........................................... 3
                  Command Rate (CMD) ....................: auto
                  Driving Strength Profiles
                  Driving Strength ............................1066
                  Channel A
                  Static tRead Value.........................:7
                  tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
                  tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                  tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                  tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                  Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
                  Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                  Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                  Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
                  Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
                  Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
                  Channel B
                  Static tRead Value.........................:7
                  tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
                  tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                  tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                  tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                  Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
                  Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                  Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                  Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
                  Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
                  Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
                  Motherboard Voltage Control
                  Voltage Type.………... Manual
                  CPU
                  CPU Vcore….……….........................: 1.3125
                  CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: 1.24
                  CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: 1.5
                  CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: 0.78
                  MCH/ICH
                  MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: 1.3
                  MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; 0.825
                  MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: AUTO
                  ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: 1.5
                  ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: 1.1
                  DRAM
                  DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.0
                  DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: AUTO
                  Channel A Reference 0.900V............: AUTO
                  Channel B Reference 0.900V............: AUTO
                  Advanced Settings
                  Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                  No-Execute Memory Protect............: [enabled]
                  CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                  C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                  x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                  CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [enabled]
                  CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                  Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Comment

Re: Memory Timings Explained W/ Suggested Timings &amp; Memset VS. BIOS

Ya, 6 may not work unless you try more/less Vtt/MCH/Ram voltage, and possibly you may have to loosen up other timings first. It should work though since you are using the A multi, I have used as low as 4-5 on B

Comment

• Re: Memory Timings Explained W/ Suggested Timings &amp; Memset VS. BIOS

I have 4GB of RAM (4 x 1GB DDR2 667MHz) and my system (MA790FX-DS5) is running stable. Why do I need to increase DDR voltage?

Comment

You may or may not need to. What is your ram running at, and what is the spec for the ram?

Comment

@lsdmeasap, since we started discussing my memory I think it's more appropriate to continue here.
                          I am attaching an Everest test screen shot. Any ideas?
                          I seem to have the same memory as Merman, Corsair XMS2 2x1GB CM2x1024-6400C4.
                          Attached Files
                          GA-MA78G-DS3H rev1.0 F6; Athlon x2 4850e 2.5GHz; Corsair XMS2 CM2x2048-6400C4 2GB kit; Seagate 250GB SATA2 16MB

Comment

What is your issues with your memory?

Comment

@lsdmeasap, in the few days you were "away" I was reading around and trying things.
                              Please see my thread for the latest changes I've done: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/how-...-my-cpu-31292/
                              The basic thing is that the 6400C4 memory was working as 5-5-5-18 by default at 1.95V (it should at 1.8V don't know why, voltage set at Auto).
                              I also noticed that the memory is working at 357MHz instead of the 400MHz because the AMD cpus use a divider, in my case for my Athlon 4850e it's CPU/7 and the 2.5GHz cpu was giving 357MHz memory freq. I also read about that and OCed my cpu to 2750MHz (x11 ratio with 250MHz fsb, left the HT at 1GHz by setting x4 multi instead of the default x5) and by actually using DDR 667 for the memory that allowed me the divider to be CPU/7 again giving me 393MHz mem freq.
                              After this the memory itself has changed to 5-5-5-15 also at 1.95V and at 1T (not 2T as before).
                              But any attempt of mine to set it manually to 4-4-4-12 upping the voltage to 2.05V (closest I can get to manufacturer 2.1V without going over it) is not stable.
                              Please take a look at the thread and reply to it. Thanks in advance.
                              GA-MA78G-DS3H rev1.0 F6; Athlon x2 4850e 2.5GHz; Corsair XMS2 CM2x2048-6400C4 2GB kit; Seagate 250GB SATA2 16MB

Comment

Aight, I will quote this and reply there

Comment

Working...
                                X