GA-X48-DS5 totally unstable - need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-X48-DS5 totally unstable - need some help

If you did decide to go along that route, I would just test in safe mode as it would be easier and quicker, then my next step would be a clean install.

Sorry, I missed that you now have tried 2 different memory, is the Kingston the exact model on the QVL?

I doubt cables are an issue either, but you can easily get a few new ones on ebay for $1 each or less if you look around

Comment

Originally posted by JustRob View Post
      Well it would seem that you more than likely have a software conflict that may be running in the background that could be causing the stability problems, seeing to me you have pretty much exhausted the hardware option. Why don't you disable all things that run when windows starts like messenger, yahoo or what ever starts with windows, then go into your msconfig then startup tab and disable all hit ok, then reboot as windows will load only what it needs. See if that helps?
      I have 4 windows XP installs on two hard drives and 3 of them, 3 on one drive and the other, the main one on the last drive I purchased. So I have tried 2 XP installs on one drive and my main usage install on another fairly new drive and all have experienced the same problem. They are all different with different software and setups.

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      If you did decide to go along that route, I would just test in safe mode as it would be easier and quicker, then my next step would be a clean install.

Sorry, I missed that you now have tried 2 different memory, is the Kingston the exact model on the QVL?
      Yes the Kingston is on the QVL list.

I doubt cables are an issue either, but you can easily get a few new ones on ebay for $1 each or less if you look around
      The drive did disappear from my computer explorer window and if that occurred with the system drive, even very briefly then I think it would lock up the PC not being able to write to the page file.

I have been testing an overclock so can't really judge whether there has been a problem. I have put my Corsair PSU back in.
      Last edited by RedDwarf; 06-12-2010, 10:47 AM.
      Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
      Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
      Windows XP Pro SP2 32 bit
      2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500
      Corsair HX 520 PSU
      Gigabyte GV-RX385512H HD3850 512MB
      Western Digital WD5000ABYS 500GB SATA hard drive
      Western Digital WD5000YS 500GB SATA hard drive - disconnected
      Seagate 250GB SATA hard drive
      Samsung 1TB
      Samsung 500GB
      Seagate 80GB
      BenQ 1640 IDE DVD-ReWriter
      NEC 3520 IDE DVD-ReWriter
      Pinnacle Dual DVB-T PCI Tuner
      Mystique Dual PCI-e DVB-S2
      mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.
      minifan blowing through northbridge

Comment

Hmm, now I wonder about that, quickly removing the page file/OS drive?

I might test that for you on purpose this weekend just to see what happens, I'll try to remember

Comment

It didn't stop the lock ups. I overclocked and when I returned to default clock shortly after it locked up.

I am wondering about Loadline calibration. I have now set that to Auto and so far everything has been stable. It was set to Enabled at default and overclocked but I don't know why I did that. I have been reading about it and don't like what I have read, I might disable it for the overclock and see how far I can get it.

I have seen that it is recommended to be disabled. I did ask about it before but no one answered.
          Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
          Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
          Corsair HX 520 PSU
          Samsung 1TB
          Samsung 500GB
          Seagate 80GB
          mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.

Comment

What didn't stop the lockups?

Sorry if I missed your LLC question, I suggest it be enabled for an overclock

Comment

What didn't stop the lockups?
              The changed SATA cables.
              Sorry if I missed your LLC question, I suggest it be enabled for an overclock
              For some reason, known only to fairies , I have had it enabled for quite a long time when using default clock. I can't say it has done anything for the CPU voltage, it still seems to run very low, even with DES disabled and uninstalled.

I did read that it can cause instability on Core 2 45nm CPU's and it certainly seems to of done on my system when at default clock and vCore.

I don't like what I read on Anandtech about it's effects so I think I will turn off the Intel power saving and try disabling it when I overclock. It might only be more damaging when working with higher voltages when the voltage is already over the Intel safe limits. I have always stayed within the limits set by Intel of around 1.36V so I should be okay. Although my CPU has been borderline stable @ 3.5GHz 1.35V with all power saving except DES enabled. It did complete 25 runs of LinX on Friday when testing the F8f Bios for overclocking stability.

It needs some days testing now but I do expect that it will fix the instability at default clock. But whether it will fix the Bios corruption problem and clock inaccuracy problems that my board has, at least on the later I very much doubt. A high precision event timer and a clock more inaccurate than the cheapest watch that people get given for some promotion event or out of a Christmas cracker.
              Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
              Corsair HX 520 PSU
              Samsung 1TB
              Samsung 500GB
              Seagate 80GB

Comment

Ohh ok, bout the cables :)

LLC is fine, I always use it even at high voltages and have never had any issues. That Anandtech news is old, and was a 1 time thing that was never proven to be caused directly by LLC.

It is up to you to decide though of course, but it will help with overclocks, stock it is not needed at all.

Good luck with the testing

Comment

Ohh ok, bout the cables :)

LLC is fine, I always use it even at high voltages and have never had any issues. That Anandtech news is old, and was a 1 time thing that was never proven to be caused directly by LLC.

It is up to you to decide though of course, but it will help with overclocks, stock it is not needed at all.

Good luck with the testing
                  Well it locked up overnight so auto LLC doesn't help. I will have to try Disabled but I am running out of options.

If that fails, I will try removing everything, then rebuild with a minimum setup, Kingston QVL Ram, one hard drive and new Windows install and if it still locks up after that I will RMA the board as soon as I am able, which should be within a couple of weeks.

It can't continue like this, I don't have any further time to waste on this board, it has had faults from the beginning with Bios corruption, system clock unreliability, Bios fan warning problems and instability and having no cure is not acceptable.
                  Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
                  Corsair HX 520 PSU
                  Samsung 1TB
                  Samsung 500GB
                  Seagate 80GB

Comment

LLC should only matter under a load, it will stop the vcore from dropping a lot under load

Let us know how your rebuild goes.

Comment

Working...
                    X